1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights

Old 07-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Sir Aaron
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Headlights

I know there are some old threads discussing headlights, but nothing that discussed specifics. I was cluttering up another thread, so I'm opening a new thread just to discuss this particular topic.

I want to change the stock/OEM headlights out of my 2003 F250 XLT Sport. I just don't feel they give me adequate light except when I have the fog lights on. I feel much more comfortable in my Acura MDX and frankly, I don't feel it ought to be that way.

Originally, I read from Mecdac that he got his lights from:

99-04 Ford F250 / F350 Superduty Euro Projector Headlights Headlamps

specifically, HID Xenon + 99-04 Ford F250 F350 Superduty LED Crystal Headlights - Black

I was considering these two:

HID Xenon + 99-04 Ford F250 F350 F450 SuperDuty / Excursion Angel Eye Halo & LED Projector Headlights - Chrome
HID Xenon + 99-04 Ford F250 F350 Superduty LED Crystal Headlights - Chrome

But another member, KrazeeMatt suggested that HID might not be worth the extra money because if the housing isn't really meant for HID, then the light is too scattered to take advantage of HID's strengths (correct me if I got this wrong).

So now I'm kinda torn. Anyways, this thread is opened to discuss these headlight options (or others).

Old 07-03-2014, 09:39 AM
Trophy_23
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out lifetimeLED's. Many of the HID guys are going to these and there is a big thread about them on here. I think I will go that way once I have one burn out.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:04 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
I picked up those lights because I wanted a one-piece look (like an '05) and wanted some additional lumens down range. While I may not have gotten the very best, (Harley '05 style) what I did pick up was much better. Some have switched the header panel to the '05, and of course bumper, some have just hacked the header panel to make them fit, others have spent $1200-1800 on lights.

What I picked up was about $350~ HID Xenon + 99-04 Ford F250 F350 Superduty LED Crystal Headlights - Black 12K Violet.

Do what you like with the $ you can afford, it is your truck.

Last edited by mecdac; 07-03-2014 at 11:05 AM. Reason: add info
Old 07-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir Aaron
I know there are some old threads discussing headlights, but nothing that discussed specifics. I was cluttering up another thread, so I'm opening a new thread just to discuss this particular topic.

I want to change the stock/OEM headlights out of my 2003 F250 XLT Sport. I just don't feel they give me adequate light except when I have the fog lights on. I feel much more comfortable in my Acura MDX and frankly, I don't feel it ought to be that way.

Originally, I read from Mecdac that he got his lights from:

99-04 Ford F250 / F350 Superduty Euro Projector Headlights Headlamps

specifically, HID Xenon + 99-04 Ford F250 F350 Superduty LED Crystal Headlights - Black

I was considering these two:

HID Xenon + 99-04 Ford F250 F350 F450 SuperDuty / Excursion Angel Eye Halo & LED Projector Headlights - Chrome

But another member, KrazeeMatt suggested that HID might not be worth the extra money because if the housing isn't really meant for HID, then the light is too scattered to take advantage of HID's strengths (correct me if I got this wrong).

So now I'm kinda torn. Anyways, this thread is opened to discuss these headlight options (or others).
HID in a standard OEM housing will never be worth it, no matter what anyone says - can't argue the science and engineering facts. Yes, they'll be brighter than your stock bulbs. However, you'll be blinding everybody you pass and essentially wasting light, light that you paid some good $$$ to obtain.
I'm with Mark on the reasons I swapped my lights out - I too wanted the one piece as they look way better, and the lens and reflector seemed to offer more efficient passage and use of the light. I had the crappy cheapo plastic cloudy housings, hated the amber blinkers as well as the overall look. Swapping to what I have now resulted in a much better output even with stock bulbs. I threw in a set of PIAA bulbs and couldn't be happier, especially with the foglights swapped to 9005's as I mentioned in the other thread. Since you have an XLT, I'm assuming you don't have DRL's or auto headlights. If not, you can do the same thing I did with jumping wires on the switch. Brown wire and yellow wire, jump them together and BAM - foglight system will be triggered by the running light circuit instead of the headlights. Personally I prefer it, and I can no-joke run around town with just the fog's on at night and see perfectly fine with the 9005's in there. Since you're so close, if you'd like I can swing by and you can check out my setup in person to see how you like the output. If you'd like more, then I'd recommend going projector with a bright-*** halogen bulb to start, maybe HID's in the foglights.
Actually now that I think about it, that may be the smartest move to start - I'll PM you my number since you finally have that feature available, lol. I've got nothing else to do until school starts on the 23rd, always happy to help an FTE brother out. This way you can see exactly what I'm talking about and how it performs before you pull the trigger.

Originally Posted by mecdac
I picked up those lights because I wanted a one-piece look (like an '05) and wanted some additional lumens down range. While I may not have gotten the very best, (Harley '05 style) what I did pick up was much better. Some have switched the header panel to the '05, and of course bumper, some have just hacked the header panel to make them fit, others have spent $1200-1800 on lights.

What I picked up was about $350~ HID Xenon + 99-04 Ford F250 F350 Superduty LED Crystal Headlights - Black 12K Violet.

I'm going to have to argue this with you. A standard 55W halogen bulb puts out 1100lms (lumens). HID's are most efficient and at their strongest (best output) between 4300 and 5800K, evidenced by the output of 2200-3800lms (output varies by brand of course). Now as the temperature starts to climb, the output starts to drop like a rock... 8K you're down to 1180, and 10K a whopping 780lms. The average 12K HID bulb puts out between 520-640lms. Sooooooo, you going for more lumens downrange with a 12K bulb is a contradiction in and of itself They make LOOK brighter, but that is due entirely to the eyeball's inefficiency at processing and filtering the blue-purple spectrum. Boomtown. Natural daylight is in the range of 4300K, a 58-6K bulb will still be damn close with a difference of maybe 80-150lms pending brand. You want more lumens downrange? Get rid of those Purple People Retina Eaters and throw a set of 6K bulbs in there. If the difference in light output, range, and visibility doesn't give you a stiffy...

Old 07-03-2014, 12:55 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Here is Matt's with DRL's Garage - Stay Puft by Krazee Matt Picture 1542040 - Ford-Trucks

Here is mine w/o DRL's Ex front bumper and fog lights 002 by mecdac - Ford-Trucks

HID w/o DRL's daylight

HID w/o DRL's at night

Off

You may also notice the bumper adjustments made in the last picture.

Originally Posted by Krazee Matt

I'm going to have to argue this with you.

No argument I wanted the violet to augment the Toreador Red (and to be a little obnoxious). I understood what I was doing and I am still getting way more visibility than OEM.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:00 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
No argument I wanted the violet to augment the Toreador Red (and to be a little obnoxious). I understood what I was doing and I am still getting way more visibility than OEM.
Well played sir, I can understand wanting to be a little obnoxious and wanting to compliment the exterior color. Had I known that was your intent, I would have saved myself a paragraph of writing lol. Well, now other people know.

And I'm contributing the visibility to your fancy foglights

Old 07-03-2014, 01:35 PM
Number21
Senior User
Originally Posted by Trophy_23
Check out lifetimeLED's. Many of the HID guys are going to these and there is a big thread about them on here. I think I will go that way once I have one burn out.
Lifetime LEDs are simply chinese LEDs you can get on ebay for twice the price, nothing else. The may claim a lifetime warranty, but I can assure you, they won't be there to collect in a few years. Save yourself half and buy them on ebay.

Don't use anything above 6000k color temp, it's illegal, unsafe, and stupid. I'll report you to the cops like a drunk driver if I see it.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Just to follow up on Mark's posting of his setup with various lights activated...

All off

Running Lights (LEDs are wired into the running lights)

All on

For anyone looking for some quality, bright-*** LED's check out Oznium.com. I've had great luck with Phil and his merchandise, as well as customer service whenever an issue arises. Not trying to plug anything, just trying to help some FTE peeps out. Too many of us get screwed over by 'the best XYZ'.

Originally Posted by Number21
Don't use anything above 6000k color temp, it's illegal, unsafe, and stupid. I'll report you to the cops like a drunk driver if I see it.
Spoken like a true PNWer, hah.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Vwags
Elder User
I just bought some Phillips Extreme Vision bulbs and am going to put them in this weekend. I actually want to take some before and after pictures so I am waiting until it gets dark. I had a Tahoe that I wired to have all 8 lights come on with the high beams and I called it the "Retina Burn" if I flashed someone. We were driving through Oregon on some dark roads and since I live in the city most streets have street lights I hadn't been in a situation of needing to provide all the light I was going to see with. In the city I thought I was throwing a ton of light and I was but on those dark roads I really felt like I couldn't see very far. I found out later about the way the eyeball focuses and that putting all that light right in front of the vehicle I was reducing how far I could see. It seemed to me that even though I thought I was improving my vision I was actually reducing it at long distance. That is why I went with a higher lumen stock bulb to try because the science seemed to make sense to me.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:05 PM
Sir Aaron
Junior User

I'm pretty much looking at the same model you got just trying to decide between HID and non-HID. They are both nearly the same price if you include the DRL LED lights in the regular halogen model.

99-04 Ford F250 F350 Excursion 1-Piece LED Crystal Headlights - Chrome

BTW, I read on the description that the high beams use regular halogen bulbs. Did you need to buy the halogen bulbs for brights? IF so, which type did you use?

Old 07-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Sir Aaron
Junior User
Originally Posted by Vwags
I just bought some Phillips Extreme Vision bulbs and am going to put them in this weekend. I actually want to take some before and after pictures so I am waiting until it gets dark. I had a Tahoe that I wired to have all 8 lights come on with the high beams and I called it the "Retina Burn" if I flashed someone. We were driving through Oregon on some dark roads and since I live in the city most streets have street lights I hadn't been in a situation of needing to provide all the light I was going to see with. In the city I thought I was throwing a ton of light and I was but on those dark roads I really felt like I couldn't see very far. I found out later about the way the eyeball focuses and that putting all that light right in front of the vehicle I was reducing how far I could see. It seemed to me that even though I thought I was improving my vision I was actually reducing it at long distance. That is why I went with a higher lumen stock bulb to try because the science seemed to make sense to me.
Yeah, post some pics. Are you using OEM on your Ford?

Old 07-03-2014, 09:11 PM
Sir Aaron
Junior User
Just to follow up on Mark's posting of his setup with various lights activated...

All off

Running Lights (LEDs are wired into the running lights)

All on

For anyone looking for some quality, bright-*** LED's check out Oznium.com. I've had great luck with Phil and his merchandise, as well as customer service whenever an issue arises. Not trying to plug anything, just trying to help some FTE peeps out. Too many of us get screwed over by 'the best XYZ'.

Spoken like a true PNWer, hah.

So.....why are the amber lights on with the DRL? did you have to wire them that way or do they come that way? I don't think I have any lights running DRL.

Love the violet light. I had thought of getting blue lights to match my truck color...probably could get away with it even if they were illegal, but rather not (if they are).

At this point, I just want more light and the truck to look fairly good. I need my truck to last another 5 years (which it should with only 58K on it).

Old 07-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Number21
Senior User
Seriously...headlights are NOT something to color match to your truck. That's like using inferior brake parts because they are painted a pretty color.

Quality reflectors with 4000-6000k bulbs will give you better vision than anything else, and will give your vehicle a nice high end look with white light. Anything else looks like a trashy ricer and you might as well have a neon sign on the back that says "give me a ticket".

Old 07-03-2014, 10:22 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Number21
Seriously...headlights are NOT something to color match to your truck. That's like using inferior brake parts because they are painted a pretty color.

Quality reflectors with 4000-6000k bulbs will give you better vision than anything else, and will give your vehicle a nice high end look with white light. Anything else looks like a trashy ricer and you might as well have a neon sign on the back that says "give me a ticket".
Made your point the first time...

Old 07-03-2014, 10:26 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
And I'm contributing the visibility to your fancy foglights
Nah, it's the chrome tow hooks.

Back on subject:

Awesome advice and information on the range for HID, thanks. We have given Sir Aaron a lot to ponder.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlights