6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

bulletproof egr cooler, pros & cons

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 10:19 PM
bigpimpin
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bulletproof egr cooler, pros & cons

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a reason not to put in the bulletproof egr cooler. I'm not interested in doing the delete. I have heard many good things about the bulletproof egr cooler not failing. Apart from failure rate what problems does the bulletproof egr cooler have? The tech at Ford told me they were not good for the 6.0, but didnt' explain why. Does anyone know?

Old 06-26-2014, 10:21 PM
KIDkiser
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If your not interested in a full delete,then there are no cons of the bullet proof cooler.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:29 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

Yup, that about sums it up. I have one, it's indestructible, but I wish I'd done a delete. If you don't have to pass smog, a delete sounds good. I used cetane boost, drove my truck like a truck is supposed to be driven, and it still filled the intake with soot. It was throwing egr codes just before it blew up. (No connection between the two)

Old 06-26-2014, 11:17 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
I've got one, not sure if it is good or bad... The bullet proof "style" cooler (I have one that is "like" a BPD unit) I think flows more and exchanges less, in other words: it meets the ECU's needs to see a higher temp between IAT and IAT2, which tells it you have EGR working, but I wonder (just because I'm uneducated): if I either flow More exhaust into the intake, because the new cooler is less restrictive; or the Exhaust is not as cooled that does get passed through. Is it a good thing? Or a bad thing...?

I've easily seen delta temperatures of 50 deg between IAT and IAT2, but then again I didn't watch this before I replaced the cooler...

Anyone more educated than us...?!

Old 06-26-2014, 11:39 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
I've got one, not sure if it is good or bad... The bullet proof "style" cooler (I have one that is "like" a BPD unit) I think flows more and exchanges less, in other words: it meets the ECU's needs to see a higher temp between IAT and IAT2, which tells it you have EGR working, but I wonder (just because I'm uneducated): if I either flow More exhaust into the intake, because the new cooler is less restrictive; or the Exhaust is not as cooled that does get passed through. Is it a good thing? Or a bad thing...?

I've easily seen delta temperatures of 50 deg between IAT and IAT2, but then again I didn't watch this before I replaced the cooler...

Anyone more educated than us...?!
PCM is basically only looking at IAT2 for proper or sufficient EGR flow. The PCM expects the temp to raise relative to how far the valve is commanded open.

As for IAT1:

Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor

The PCM uses the input from the primary IAT sensor to monitor ambient air temperature and determine when to close the VGT vanes to increase exhaust pressure. On vehicles equipped with a MAF sensor, the IAT sensor is integrated into the MAF sensor assembly.

There are no drawbacks to a BP cooler, other than the engine is continuing to see dirty, sooty air versus a delete.

Josh

Old 06-27-2014, 12:13 AM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Josh has made a point about the pcm expecting to see certain values when the EGR opens and closes. When the EGR valve itself is deleted those values are no longer seen. What does the pcm do with that loss of info?

We used to tell people to plug the valve back in for the fan to work correctly and run a tuner to turn the light off. I have long suspected that the tuner does more than turn the light off, I suspect it also adjusts some of the paremeters to compensate.

Does anyone know if this happens or is this why so many people report a rougher running truck after deleting the valve without running a tuner.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:08 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
PCM is basically only looking at IAT2 for proper or sufficient EGR flow. The PCM expects the temp to raise relative to how far the valve is commanded open.

As for IAT1:

Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor

The PCM uses the input from the primary IAT sensor to monitor ambient air temperature and determine when to close the VGT vanes to increase exhaust pressure. On vehicles equipped with a MAF sensor, the IAT sensor is integrated into the MAF sensor assembly.

There are no drawbacks to a BP cooler, other than the engine is continuing to see dirty, sooty air versus a delete.

Josh
Thanks Josh -- early on after putting the BP cooler on I thought maybe hotter EGR gas might not lay down as much coke/soot etc., but it'd likely have to be heck of a lot hotter that the 190 deg temps I sometimes see on IAT2 (usually on a hot day).

Do you know if the reason for the change from the round style to the square plate and fin style was to increase EGR flow, or cool more (or both?) -- I know it was done "for emissions" (and that can never be a good thing).

Old 06-27-2014, 11:20 AM
Bullitt390

The OEM square style cools the incoming EGR more than the old round style or the BP.

I would guess the actual flow characteristics are likely similar between the fins of the square and round tubes of the original and BP style.

Josh

Old 06-27-2014, 04:49 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
On the Pro side of the fence, It is my belief the BPD EGR cooler flows more, which may or may not have an effect on performance and EGR valve control. I do know as a Pro the BPD Cooler is constructed of stainless steel of a thicker wall material than the OEM cooler. I replaced my EGR cooler with the BPD version when I went to the BPD engine oil cooler. Since we were in that deep into the engine, it made sense. OEM EGR coolers are a weak link in that chain when combined with a failing OEM oil cooler, it hastens the demise of both and eventual failing or failed head gaskets/heads. I experienced this first hand and ended up replacing both heads. I consider it something of an insurance policy for the longevity of the engine by going to the BPG EGR and Oil coolers. I'll let you know long term if it pays off; I've only put 7500 miles on now since new heads.

-Mark

Old 06-27-2014, 05:09 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by cay5628
On the Pro side of the fence, It is my belief the BPD EGR cooler flows more, which may or may not have an effect on performance and EGR valve control. I do know as a Pro the BPD Cooler is constructed of stainless steel of a thicker wall material than the OEM cooler. I replaced my EGR cooler with the BPD version when I went to the BPD engine oil cooler. Since we were in that deep into the engine, it made sense. OEM EGR coolers are a weak link in that chain when combined with a failing OEM oil cooler, it hastens the demise of both and eventual failing or failed head gaskets/heads. I experienced this first hand and ended up replacing both heads. I consider it something of an insurance policy for the longevity of the engine by going to the BPG EGR and Oil coolers. I'll let you know long term if it pays off; I've only put 7500 miles on now since new heads.

-Mark
That's actually wrong: BP takes EGR cooler cores, cuts them apart and rebuilds them as bulletproof coolers with the tubes rather than fins

Josh

Old 06-27-2014, 05:13 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Josh,
I stand corrected then. I remember reading in one of the magazine articles something about materials used for construction of the EGR coolers.

-Mark

Last edited by cay5628; 06-27-2014 at 05:13 PM. Reason: spelling, what else?
Old 06-27-2014, 05:16 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,731 Posts
Perhaps they were saying that the internal plates are thinner than the tubes ............

Old 06-27-2014, 05:50 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Josh this post reminded me I owe you some egr coolers for your experiment.
Do you still need them? I apologise I was in and out the hospital so much around that time I plum forgot about them.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:09 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All I do at the shop is the BPD EGR Coolers. We don't have emissions testing, but it is still illegal to remove the system.

That said, I have the cooler on my truck. Yes I still circulate the soot, but there are millions of these engines running that way. It is not THAT detrimental. They don't fail, and they give piece of mind. That's good enough for me.

Besides, if you don't want to run a tuner, this is still doable.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:37 PM
gregory1420
Freshman User
I also have the full kit egr cooler along with the cond mounted oil cooler been on there for 2 yrs or so. the only problem I have is my egr cooler is leaking from where the nipple goes into the bottom of the intake.. or maybe the nipple is leaking its hard too tell. all I can see is coolant is running down the top of the egr cooler.. I am removing it and installing a delete.. the only reason I didn't when I installed it is I didn't want a light on but the programmer will take care of that or I will just mount the egr valve and leave it plugged in..

Quick Reply: bulletproof egr cooler, pros & cons