6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

No FICM Sync

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 06:47 AM
Punkfish
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No FICM Sync

I have a no start on my 2003 6.0. What I've discover is that I have two issues, ICP pressure is low and the FICM is not syncing. My plan of attack is to fix the sync problem first then the ICP issue. FICM main power is good holds at 47.32 during crank but it has no FICM sync, I've check the camshaft position and crankshaft position sync status and it returns a value of in sync, it also reaches a max rpm of 257 during crank. Given those two values I think the cam and crank sensors are good. I did a visual inspection on the wire harness and can find no chaffing, shorts or hard bends. I think I either have a bad PCM or FICM. Does anyone have an idea of how I can narrow it down to one of the two?

Old 06-06-2014, 10:23 AM
fordf150guy
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your truck needs to see at least 500psi from your icp sensor before it will command the injectors to fire. i'm not sure if the ficm should sync whether or not it see's that 500psi but i'm thinking that your no sync may be related the your low oil pressure. do you have any way of monitoring your icp and ipr values both koeo and while cranking? being a 03 its gonna be more of a pain but you can try starting with the icp disconnected sending it into a "default" mode taking the sensor (if bad) out of the loop. other than that it may be your hpop and i'm not sure if the 03's have the same oil cups underneath the oil rail that can also leak. maybe the D rings on top of the injectors? hope someone with more experience will be by shortly.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:26 PM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, the PCM needs to see 500psi before the truck will start. Not sure if it uses the FICM sync to do this or not.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:08 PM
mrwrench
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my 2004 start fine with 410 Psi .

Old 06-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mrwrench
my 2004 start fine with 410 Psi .
Perhaps, your gauge is a few ticks of a second behind in updating.... The computer might already see 500+..

Sent from my Sprint PC36100 using IB AutoGroup

Old 06-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Punkfish
New User
Follow up

Thanks to those who replied. I'm still chasing gremlins.......I now have no sync at all either to the PCM or FICM. I went through the wire harness again and still found no chaffing or shorts. I did replace the camshaft position sensor just to eliminate it and will change the crankshaft position sensor next if that doesn't alleviate the no sync fault I would think its gotta be the PCM, has anybody encountered a scenario like this or had a PCM fail?
I still also have a bad ICP sensor (it's oil wetted and reads very low pressure, hope it doesn't turn in to a HPOP change) , I have one on order and it should be here in a couple of days. Some were unsure if the ICP sensor needed to be at 500psi minimum to achieve sync as far as I know it does not, sync should be seen during engine cranking regardless of ICP pressure, if anyone knows different please let me know. Again thanks for your input and help....

Old 06-10-2014, 10:02 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Punkfish
T
I still also have a bad ICP sensor (it's oil wetted and reads very low pressure, ....

Replace ICP and Clean or replace Pigtail depending on severity of damage

hope it doesn't turn in to a HPOP change) ,

Sounds like just an ICP sensor and maybe pigtail I was able to clean the pigtail on mine

CLASSIC Bad ICP (leaking oil out the end)

Some were unsure if the ICP sensor needed to be at 500psi minimum to achieve sync as far as I know it does not, sync should be seen during engine cranking regardless of ICP pressure, if anyone knows different please let me know. Again thanks for your input and help....

I Agree^^

You Need 500+ ICP to Achieve a FPW (Fuel Pulse Width)make the ficm fire inject

What gauge are you using to see Sync and has this gauge been used to show sync before???

Do you Have CMP/CKP SYNC

your Fault may Lie in 1 of 2 Wire harness or a sensor

FICM GUIDE PDF
https://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-man...ch%20Guide.pdf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIRE DIAGRAMS
https://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-man...%20diagram.pdf

And have you scaned for DTC

Old 06-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Punkfish
New User
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Replace ICP and Clean or replace Pigtail depending on severity of damage

Sounds like just an ICP sensor and maybe pigtail I was able to clean the pigtail on mine

CLASSIC Bad ICP (leaking oil out the end)

I Agree^^

You Need 500+ ICP to Achieve a FPW (Fuel Pulse Width)make the ficm fire inject

What gauge are you using to see Sync and has this gauge been used to show sync before???

Do you Have CMP/CKP SYNC

your Fault may Lie in 1 of 2 Wire harness or a sensor

FICM GUIDE PDF
https://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-man...ch%20Guide.pdf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIRE DIAGRAMS
https://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-man...%20diagram.pdf

And have you scaned for DTC
I'm using ScanXL diagnostic software via wifi plugged into the DTC. The original problem was a bad ICP (on order should be here today) and a FICM no sync. When I started trouble shooting the no sync issue I ran all the FICM PID's and they were good except FICM SYNC, I also was monitoring CKP/CMP Sync and it was reading in sync, shut everything down and called it a day, next day I resumed trouble shooting but this time I didn't have sync on FICM nor the CKP/CMP sync.

I went through the wire harness again (3rd time) this time I had a buddy go wiggle the harness and pigtails while I watched continuity, never showed a break in continuity, I didn't have a good visual on the CKP harness and pigtail so I unbolted the AC compressor and moved it out of the way to gain better access I even peeled back the convoluted tubing and checked the shielded ground all checked good, rerouted the harness from between the AC Compressor and block and changed both CKP and CMP sensors. I know that's shoot gunning it but I'm having a hard time believing I got a bad PCM but it's sure looking like it.

Thanks for your input, when I get this thing figured out ill post the fix.

P.S. The truck has never shown any DTC's

Old 06-12-2014, 07:30 PM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Not sure I would spend too much time hunting down the no sync. I have read on here that you can loose sync from excessive cranking. I could be wrong about this though. I know it's an important piece of the troubleshooting.

I would be interested to see what happens after you get good ICP.

Let us know.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:34 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Ok Lets Make it Easy then

Do you show anything HIGHER then 0 for FPW (Fuel Pulse Width)???

you show FPW then you have BOTH FICM SYNC and CMP/CKP SYNC

Im not framiliar with Scan Gauge XL
Most of use use SGII and that's what all the Codes are for SGII IDK how well they work on other version ScanGauge

Old 06-12-2014, 08:46 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
What engine RPM reading are you getting with the engine cranking? If you want to go further into it, disconnect the middle PCM connector and plug it back in again.
Make sure it is secured to the PCM properly (since you mentioned you had disconnected it during the repair).

If you want to verify those circuits, you can connect a DVOM to both the CKP and CMP circuits of the middle PCM connector.
Set your DVOM to Hz. On the CKP circuit, you should be seeing 150 to 200 Hz when the engine is cranked over (directly proportional to 150 to 200 RPMs).

On the CMP circuit you should get a reading of 1.1 to 1.9 Hz when the engine is cranked over. Hopefully you won't have to go this far before you resolve your issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The spec is between 300 to 400O for the CKP sensor, and 800 to 1100O for the CMP sensor. If you want to check readings, set your DVOM to read Hz.
The CKP reading you should be getting from the CKP sensor, is between 150 to 200Hz, directly proportional to engine cranking RPM when the engine is cranked over.
The CMP reading should be between 1.1 to 1.9Hz when the engine is cranked over.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

connector C1381t

Camshaft

Pin# 31 Camshaft +

Pin# 43 Camshaft -

Crankshaft

Pin# 30 Crankshaft +

Pin# 41 Crankshaft -

Old 06-12-2014, 08:48 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
I do wonder about your Gauge being its the SG XL

Old 06-12-2014, 08:51 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
and for my 16,000 POST

CMP/CKP WIRE DIAGRAM PDF
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...7&d=1350773292

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

CRANKSHAFT SENSOR TROUBLESHOOT PDF
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...5&d=1350773220

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAMSHAFT SENSOR TROUBLESHOOT PDF
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...4&d=1350773182

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 06-14-2014, 09:39 AM
Punkfish
New User
Follow up

Originally Posted by BLADE35
and for my 16,000 POST

CMP/CKP WIRE DIAGRAM PDF
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...7&d=1350773292

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

CRANKSHAFT SENSOR TROUBLESHOOT PDF
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...5&d=1350773220

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAMSHAFT SENSOR TROUBLESHOOT PDF
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...4&d=1350773182

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for the information, it was very helpful. I do not get a FPW reading, RMP peaks at 198 during crank. I checked the CMP/CKP frequencies and they were spot on, checked harness for short to ground and did a pin to pin both were good. Also the truck never showed any DTC's and it passes the KOEO, looks like I have a failed PCM. I am not using ScanGauge, I use a window based software package called ScanXL by Palmer Performance Engineering (it's similar to AutoEnginuity).

Again thanks for your help.....

Old 06-14-2014, 10:29 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Why so much focus on synch and not the actual issue of the ICP?

ICP psi KOEO
ICP volts KOEO
IPR% KOEO
IPR% crank
ICP psi crank

Josh

Quick Reply: No FICM Sync