1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

04 ford E250 fuse issues....HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 12:23 PM
aronashley
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 04 ford E250 fuse issues....HELP

I am a ford fanatic, i own 5 ford trucks all together. I am having an issue on my 2004 ford E250. Everytime i seem to touch the brake pedal the fuses blows. I have barely any left turn signals, and my left rear taillight is also not working. I have so far done the following.

I have checked and replaced the remote start module. I replaced the turn signal switch which has the hazards and all running through it. I replaced the brake with which sits on the brake pedal. I replaced the fuses that need to be replaced and also replaced the relays. I replaced all light bulbs and all are good.

At this point i still have no left brake light, and every time i touch the brake pedal the fuse for the brake lights blow, and the left turn signals are very dim. the right turn signals work fine. and if i have the hazards on and press the brake pedal then the fuse will not blow. I'm at a loss and am looking for any other ideas that i may not have thought of at this point. thanks in advance.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:29 PM
jack orchard
Tuned
Trailer Wiring?

I would start by inspecting the full length of the wiring harness as it is installed to the rear of the truck. Is it showing signs of rubbing on the frame?If trailer wiring was installed, is it properly installed and protected? Is it damaged? Also, i would pay particular attention to the left side lights. Remove the left light assembly if necessary to check wiring and socket connections. Any crud growing inside the socket? Are contacts corroded? I would suspect damaged wiring or a defective light socket. Both should be an easy fix. Don't forget to look at the wiring harness that connects to the brake light switch. Also, verify all grounds are clean and tight. Good luck,...jack

Old 06-02-2014, 04:52 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Is this something new and recent, perhaps first occurring after other mechanical or electrical work has been completed?

You certainly have issues with over-current, my guess is a wire has been crushed or otherwise creating a restriction to current flow. As Jack mentions begin with carefully inspecting any visible wiring including the bundle leading up the B Pillar to the rear. I'm assuming this is a cargo only van so this part would be fairly easy.

Also as Jack mentions inspect the ground connections behind the tail light housings---they're pretty dismal from the factory, may need some attention.

If any interior work or hauling could possibly have damaged the large front-to-rear bundle double check it. Its not likely but one never knows.

Trailer wiring could also be at issue---its not run in the most wiring-friendly location.

BTW I'm a bit surprised you don't have one or more EVTM's for your Ford fleet---those have invaluable to me numerous times, whether making repairs or modifying something.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:19 AM
aronashley
New User
Thanks

Thanks for all the ideas and help. It came down to the fact that a wire had rubbed raw inside the casing that runs to the rear of the van showing just enough to arc off of the side of the shelving bracket. Took a while to find but finally did. During the process I had found other little issues with loose connectors and weathered ones that have all been replaced.

Now I'm in the process of replacing the oil cooler due to a small leak.

I am usually pretty good at figuring things out but this was a great resource to use. Thanks for the answer and ideas I'll be back for sure.