General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Gas / charcoal grills

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 07:02 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,230 Likes on 808 Posts
Gas / charcoal grills

What kind and what size grills are you guys using?

Eight years ago I bought a Charbroil Designer Series 4 burner stainless steel grill from Linens and Things before they closed for good. It retailed for $500 and I got for $250, not a bad deal considering I got 8+ years of service so far.

The insides need to be replaced. The carry over tubes, and the heat tents are all destroyed from heat and the burners are beginning to rot through.

The carry over tubes are $3 each x 3, the heat tents are $17.00 each x 4 and the main burners are $13.00 each x 4. The fire box is thin from use and heat and the grill in my opinion is about ready for scrap. I could spend about $125.00 and make it good for another 2-3 years or just let it fall apart in a couple years and replace it.

Dilemma, dilemma. Thoughts?

Old 04-27-2014, 07:10 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I use a smoker type grill , chimney and all . I have used it for about 15 years now . I put a new grate in it about 5 years ago . I plan on having it for another 15 years or better . It is a smaller unit , I can lift it and put it in the truck . For the life of me , I have no Idea who made it ! Well made , thick steel . I paint it every now and then with grill paint .

Old 04-27-2014, 07:56 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did what you're thinking of doing Twice.
I also went through 2 charcoal grills, because you have to cook on charcoal sometimes too.
Two years ago, I needed to renew everything again, and bought this instead
Smoke Hollow 4-in-1 Combo Grill - Sam's Club
I am happy with it so far. The only trouble, the nut on the back of the rod that adjusts The fire box level broke loose, so I welded it back on.
I do recommend getting the cover with it.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:15 PM
84espy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a 4 burner Weber gas grill and an old two chamber smoker/bbq. When I do prime rib, I use the gas. I really prefer the charcoal smoker because I usually smoke my meats and part of this process is using the hard orchard type woods. The coals burn hot even and down to nothing. Because it's wood, I don't have to put down the wood chips. Also, I find that waiting for the coals to be ready is half the fun, if I have beer.

Gas or coals, you will probably be spending almost the same if you include the smoker

Old 04-28-2014, 06:00 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
I was pricing Weber grills and damned near fell out of my chair. A smaller Weber is over twice what my Charbroil would be. Is the quality really twice as good?

Old 04-28-2014, 07:14 AM
slimbo13
Post Fiend
Tim check out this website Forums

Old 04-28-2014, 08:19 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had one of these for about 15 years:

Smokin Pro Model #1224

Pros:

Charcoal
-Heavy, cast-iron grates
-Side fire box (I actually purchased mine as an accessory a little while after the initial purchase)
-Fairly heavy steel shell that is durable and long-lasting--nothing more than surface rust in a few areas at this point

Cons:

-The legs on mine are, well, on their last legs, though they have been for quite a while and are still holding it up--they're thinner and the bottom few inches on the non-wheeled legs rotted out when I had it parked on gravel early in its life.
-The ash pan/charcoal grate assembly wears out. I've replaced it once, and it's just about due again. The current one was a touch shorter, so I had to bend the hangers to make them work
-The notches that hold the ash pan hangers are too small, and require some care to get the hangers to stay put (don't know if that issue was addressed in newer models)
-The covers don't last as long as I'd like. We probably get 5 years or so out of the covers, which may seem okay, but they're fairly heavy and seem like they should last longer. They catch and rip on some of the sharper corners of the grill (like the lid stops on the back). We're on about our fourth cover, which is in good shape other than having faded from black to light gray on top.
-The intake adjustment on the side firebox could be better--it's one of the thinner parts, and warps over time, meaning that fully closed it's still letting in a fair amount of air. Taking it off and hammering it back is necessary after a number of years of use.

I've often thought I'd like a gas grill to complement this one for the occasional quick round of burgers or hot dogs, but then I'll have something off a friend's gas grill and be reminded how lacking in flavor gas-grilled food is. I also only use the hardwood chunk charcoal, use a chimney starter with a little dish of alcohol to start it, and then use hardwood chunks of various kinds for some smoke while grilling, or I'll use split firewood in the firebox for smoking after getting it started with the charcoal.

Jason

Old 04-28-2014, 03:44 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,626 Likes on 1,326 Posts
Got a Weber Gensis 1000 from maybe 15 years ago.....

Just replaced the grills for the second time, and the "flavor bars" for the first time, the idea being to get a few more miles out of it. It is in decent condition and is ok as a grill. I'm sure careful shopping will yield a good grill for less than Weber charges, but they do have a good product so look for the little things. Also, note I am still able to buy parts, something that off brands will not offer.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:22 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Regular old Weber charcoal grill.......22" grate.

I'm still living in the dark ages with grilling......

Nothing but Kingsford charcoal...and Kingsford odorless lighter fluid. None of that matchlight crap for me. Only the best.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:38 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by cmpd1781
Nothing but Kingsford charcoal...and Kingsford odorless lighter fluid. None of that matchlight crap for me. Only the best.
Try diesel fuel next time.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:43 PM
Maltman
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
22" Weber is my main cooker, bought the grill with the flaps so you can add briquettes if needed and use a chimney starter. I also have the charcoal dividers in the pit-I always cook indirectly on it. Coals on side-food in middle with the top and bottom vents fully open.

Orion cooker that I use when I don't feel like tending to a grill-Light it and forget it
Turkey Cooker, BBQ Smoker, Convection Cooker | Stainless Steel Charcoal Grill

Also have a Members Mark 3 burner propane cooker with side burner, and rotisserie. I like to cook in bulk on that one. Its been a good cooker for me-replaced the burners 3-4 years ago.

Good quality covers on all of them

Hopefully a couple ideas for you!

you looking into propane or charcoal?

Old 04-28-2014, 11:19 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
We have a Weber Performer. Got it as a gift from my Pops. It uses propane ignition and charcoal for the heat. Works awesome. I recently bought an adapter to use a large propane tank instead of the small 1lb disposals.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:44 AM
bmxbandit
New User
i prefer charcoal and try and keep it simple. have the weber one touch and couldn't be happier.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:27 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
I've actually given some consideration to gutting my current grill and occasionally filling it with charcoal and wood chips and buying another gas grill.

I'm definitely going to have another gas grill. I've enjoyed this four burner that I have. It's been fun to cook pork butts for pulled pork, ribs and beef brisket by shutting off the two middle burners and allowing the outer burners to run on low all night. It's done an amazing job for being a low end grill.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:24 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 767 Likes on 546 Posts
I'd done charcoal & smokers for years. While good, its always a pain & mess. When I went shopping for a gas unit, I ran across this brand:

Broil-Mate™ One Tough Grill

They're cast aluminum. NO RUST. Great heat retention. Canadian made. (Better than China) Very reasonable price and cooks great. We use it year round.

Quick Reply: Gas / charcoal grills