6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

f350 problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:19 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by addybeer
So today I went to the dealer and had a sit down with them to go over the problem about the oil change they did being 4 liters short and how they left the main hose off the intercooler that creates the turbo to over work its self. The truck had no problems before other then it shutting its self down from the dpf sensors. They told me that hoses are forgot all the time and it's not their problem and to pay the $8000 and get it fixed by their master machanics lol the same ones that wreaked my truck. So I guess I will be doing it my self now so any information or pictures of the seals and such that I need to change in the turbo would be helpful .

Thanks
You can take this for what it's worth, apologies in advance for attitude on this, but pretend you are seriously considering getting them to do it, get a written report on what it will cost, and what they are doing, then go somewhere else to a mechanic that isn't going full retard. You never go full retard.

FYI, I've seen rebuild 6.4 turbo assemblies for sale for around 2000$, and working take offs as low as 500$.

Is there anything else going on with the truck you haven't said here?
It seems like something else is going on you haven't shared, or the dealer is going full retard.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:23 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by addybeer
Well I got the truck dropped off today and started to take the turbo out. I got half way and was removing the hoses that go to the air to air rad and noticed the dealer had taken the bottom one off and never put it back on so I put it on and reassembled the turbo. Took it for a ride and turbo pressure is back and not running on reduced power anymore but blue smoke still comes out the tail pipe. Could this of loaded the system with oil and just needs to be burned out or does the turbo seal need to be changed

Heres a question for you;

Did it blow smoke when the intercooler pipe was off?

Old 04-14-2014, 10:46 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
A few more things here,
I am not a turbocharger guru by any means, but centrifugal type pumps and fans actually spin faster with the flow blocked.
When the flow is blocked, less air is introduced, and it doesn't work as hard.
Thus, my thoughts are that a forced air tube off is not going to overspeed the turbo. However, with the VVT system on the turbo, I suppose anything is possible.

Blue smoke is famous for being engine oil, from turbo's valve seals, etc. However, the DPF changes things a bit, because things might "burn off" different than conventionally.

There was some pictures up a while ago on one of these forums, he had a turbocharger leak, and there was oil residue on some exhaust pipe joints.
Not saying it would mean anything 100%, but worth looking at.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:30 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
In this thread, you said the truck blows white smoke, then blue smoke; can you correct this or elaborate?

Is your inside of your tail pipe clean? rug your finger or a rag... a properly running 6.4 tail pipe will be clean, asides from a bit of dust maybe.

This sounds like it could be piston rings, valve seals, turbo, or maybe more than one of those..... The bad part about emissions junk; say you lost a piston ring, it could burn oil, plug the DPF, stay in regen mode, and blow the turbo seal also.

Do you notice a smell near the exhaust after driving it a bit, and idling?

When does it smoke the most?? Startup? acceleration? After it's hot?

Does the truck sound normal? Do you have another 6.4 to compare it to? Reason I ask, is I've read that sensors can go bad, causing timing to be all out of whack, causing unburned fuel. Usually sounds different though.