6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

f350 problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 04:23 PM
addybeer
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
f350 problems

my truck shut its self down last week and I had it towed to the local ford dealer. after doing some research I found out that it was the dpf sensor. the dealer can back with the same answer. after changing the sensors and a &1000 bill the truck is far from being fixed. when I went to pick it up the dealer told me that it is blowing smoke and the turbo has to be changed as well as the cooler and a $7500 bill to go with it. The truck never did this before it ran fine and I always finish the regen as I was told to before meaning driving the highway if need be. I have been told that it may just be a seal on the turbo from a friend. I was also asked how many times the truck regens and it sees to be more then usual what could be causing the regen and why would the truck start burning oil and blowing blue smoke now and not before ? the local dearer seems not to know anything and are not to helpful but is willing to take large amounts of money for nothing.

any help would be great thanks

Old 04-09-2014, 04:37 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
pick the truck up and go elsewhere.

Get a proper diagnosis as to what is wrong.

Are you loosing coolant?

Old 04-09-2014, 04:49 PM
addybeer
Freshman User
I have I paid the bill at the dealers and took the truck to a diesel shop they came back after an hour or so with it is due to the regen and after fixing it can do the same thing was told better off to buy new truck as the regen is a big problem with the fords and that the 6.4 is just as bad as the 6.0 and that ford should of stayed with the 7.3 witch I am starting to agree with as I own a 2000 with the 7.3 as well with almost 600 000km on it

Old 04-09-2014, 05:00 PM
senix
Super Moderator
How close are your regens (miles/km) apart. Sometimes at the start of a cycle it will blow a little smoke. It is considered normal.

I have seen big rigs on the roads do the same.

How do you use the truck? If you do a lot of city driving, idling and stop and go stuff that will bring on the regen sooner as well.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:09 PM
addybeer
Freshman User
I had mentioned that it smokes a bit hear and there when it regens. this is my primary work truck as I am a contractor but most heavy pulling and lumber loads are done with the older truck. I drive to and from job sites with this truck and not much towing with it as well. as stated the truck was running fine till it shut down due to the dpf sensors. I would say the truck regen once a month maybe twice as month. when I went to pick the truck up it blows huge amount of blue smoke and when through oil as I drove it appox 10km to diesel shop. enough oil that I will be towing it home in the morning as not to damage it

Old 04-09-2014, 05:38 PM
senix
Super Moderator
In the morning check the oil level. It maybe overfull.

Lower it and go from there.

If the oil level is good then it maybe the turbo.

but check the level before starting the truck. Do you know how to short stick method to check the oil?

Old 04-09-2014, 06:09 PM
addybeer
Freshman User
The dealer just did the oil change and the truck burnt enough oil that I will have it towed home in the morning after talking with the diesel shop they are thinking it has to do with the regen and creating back pressure to the turbo that has blown the seal in the turbo but they don't know enough about the regen and figure it will happen again

Old 04-09-2014, 06:14 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had them with bad turbos that cause the dpf to plug up. Changing the dpf just made the problem show up. Your dealer was right. Turbo caused all of it. Pull off the lower CAC hose and see how much oil comes out. I've seen a couple of quarts come out. The shop that told you to buy another truck is the one to stay away from.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:07 PM
addybeer
Freshman User
So taking he turbo out and fixing the seal I just I have to flush the intercooler but should I be getting rid of the dpf

Old 04-09-2014, 08:20 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Originally Posted by addybeer
So taking he turbo out and fixing the seal I just I have to flush the intercooler but should I be getting rid of the dpf
Not necessarily. Once the turbo is repaired, and everything is reset, there shouldn't be any problems.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:56 PM
tgreening
Elder User
but they don't know enough about the regen and figure it will happen again

This part would REALLY concern me if I were in your shoes. If this diesel shop doesn't know these engines inside and out I'd be finding another diesel shop.

The biggest drawback, and source of most problems in the 6.4, is the whole nightmare of the dpf system. If they don't know the system thoroughly find someone who does.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:58 PM
addybeer
Freshman User
Well I got the truck dropped off today and started to take the turbo out. I got half way and was removing the hoses that go to the air to air rad and noticed the dealer had taken the bottom one off and never put it back on so I put it on and reassembled the turbo. Took it for a ride and turbo pressure is back and not running on reduced power anymore but blue smoke still comes out the tail pipe. Could this of loaded the system with oil and just needs to be burned out or does the turbo seal need to be changed

Old 04-10-2014, 07:38 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Well I got the truck dropped off today and started to take the turbo out. I got half way and was removing the hoses that go to the air to air rad and noticed the dealer had taken the bottom one off and never put it back on so I put it on and reassembled the turbo. Took it for a ride and turbo pressure is back and not running on reduced power anymore but blue smoke still comes out the tail pipe. Could this of loaded the system with oil and just needs to be burned out or does the turbo seal need to be changed
It sounds to me like turbo seal.

So the dealer left the turbo / intercooler piping disconnected?
Thats pretty crappy if thats the case.

How long has the truck been running like this?
The DPF can only handle so much abuse, it might be to the point where it's in need of replacement or removal.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:29 PM
addybeer
Freshman User
So today I went to the dealer and had a sit down with them to go over the problem about the oil change they did being 4 liters short and how they left the main hose off the intercooler that creates the turbo to over work its self. The truck had no problems before other then it shutting its self down from the dpf sensors. They told me that hoses are forgot all the time and it's not their problem and to pay the $8000 and get it fixed by their master machanics lol the same ones that wreaked my truck. So I guess I will be doing it my self now so any information or pictures of the seals and such that I need to change in the turbo would be helpful .

Thanks

Old 04-14-2014, 09:32 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$1,000 for DPF Sensor?!?! Holy HELL!

Quick Reply: f350 problems