6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

I am an idiot please help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 09:35 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CornTruckDriver
OK

It says you have a 2014 with 105 miles on it.
Why would you have to add DEF at 105 miles.
Mine was filled only half way when I got mine even though I told them to fill it prior to pick up.Of course I didnt figure out how to check level until a few days later and it was under half.Didnt bother to bring back cuz dealer is 45 min away.But I imagine he had less then half tank when he received it

Good luck op.I put on a locking fuel neck gas cap just to make me think a little more for situations when im filling def.Might save my but one day when Im not paying attention.But atleast you had the mind enough not to even put the key in ignition..Im sure your ok after you drain and flush.DISASTER AVERTED.I bet it wont happen again.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:48 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Good luck getting it drained, you sure made the right call

Old 03-29-2014, 09:55 PM
wingedone
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Curious. Is putting DEF in the tank worse than putting gasoline?

I am asking because I follow the Long Long Honeymoon people and he has filled up, more than once I believe, the diesel with gas and then had it pumped out (before starting). One dumb mistake, jump to 5:40

There is no way they got every last drop out that way, yet he has not had problems related to this. His truck is pre-DEF. Are our DEF trucks more fragile or is DEF worse than gasoline to a diesel?

Old 03-29-2014, 10:05 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by wingedone

I am asking because I follow the Long Long Honeymoon people and he has filled up, more than once I believe, the diesel with gas and then had it pumped out (before starting). One dumb mistake, jump to 5:40

There is no way they got every last drop out that way, yet he has not had problems related to this. His truck is pre-DEF. Are our DEF trucks more fragile or is DEF worse than gasoline to a diesel?
Someone will correct me but I believe its the fact that def crystallizes on everything it touches and gas instead of diesel prolly is an issue due to the sensitivety of the hpfp on the 6.7.Theres more detail to this answer but requires a more knowledgeable member then myself to answer.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:07 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am bad about updating my Sig. I use this to make my money. Drove it off the lot Oct 23 with 30 miles on it. I am now right around 18,000. So I have filled the def tank a few times now. Just pushing away on buttons on the pump and taking cap off at the same time. Habit I fill just about every day. And Rob I would like to think you are right about it not happening again. I am so disgusted with myself.
I will get back with yall tomorrow and give an update. The irony of it all is I was actually thinking about working on the 7.3 tomorrow and try and see why it quit on me. Oh well at least I know it doesnt have a DEF problem.
thanks again guys.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:34 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,058 Posts
def is worse than gas since most of it is water.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:00 AM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wingedone

Not sure the effect of gasoline on a diesel but my son's buddy put gas in his diesel my mistake and when it quit running they towed it home and pumped the tank and changed the filters, after priming a few times it started up and has ran fine since. It was under warranty so it wasn't going to the dealer.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:03 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28
Not sure the effect of gasoline on a diesel but my son's buddy put gas in his diesel my mistake and when it quit running they towed it home and pumped the tank and changed the filters, after priming a few times it started up and has ran fine since. It was under warranty so it wasn't going to the dealer.
Gas has no lubrication properties to it. So your hpfp runs dry then, shredding it. Anything 2008 and up that runs high pressure common rail fuel injection.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:44 AM
trkfix
Freshman User
I am ford sm diesel tech. I since engine or fuel system has not been operated
I remove bed if possible remove fuel sender , drain tank completely & wipe it dry.
remove lower fuel filter & replace. remove fuel line at secondary (upper) filter from
tank . adddclean diesel to tank & flush lines .replace upper filter . Add pm 22 or your choice of additive w/fuel lube. You are not an idiot you did not start the truck.
even if dealer does this it would not affect warrenty

Old 03-30-2014, 01:24 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28
What engine? Those days are over with the latest diesel engines and their sensitive fuel systems.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:18 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Thanks guys for going easy on me I expected some consequences in the way of commments when I posted this, and rightfully so.well it is done it has been five hours since the primary filter was removed and no crystal growth on it. I dropped and cleaned the crap out of the tank, dried it and whipped it down with some diesel clean fuel tank cleaner, add about 10 gallons of fuel with more diesel clean tank cleaner, and now ready to go fill it up and put some more DC in it. I would like to think that I learned my lesson and I will not be doing that again.
thank you all again
Joe

Old 03-30-2014, 03:34 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by caverjoe
Thanks guys for going easy on me I expected some consequences in the way of commments when I posted this, and rightfully so.well it is done it has been five hours since the primary filter was removed and no crystal growth on it. I dropped and cleaned the crap out of the tank, dried it and whipped it down with some diesel clean fuel tank cleaner, add about 10 gallons of fuel with more diesel clean tank cleaner, and now ready to go fill it up and put some more DC in it. I would like to think that I learned my lesson and I will not be doing that again.
thank you all again
Joe

Good deal! Hope all goes well with you.

I have family south of you down in Buffalo. I go thru Harrisonville when I head over to Clinton and down Hwy13 to Boliver then to Buffalo. I'll wave next time I go by.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:33 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by marchare011
Good deal! Hope all goes well with you.

I have family south of you down in Buffalo. I go thru Harrisonville when I head over to Clinton and down Hwy13 to Boliver then to Buffalo. I'll wave next time I go by.
Wow and you are in Wyoming? I had an uncle that used to live in Buffalo. Now Osceola and Collins.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:13 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Glad it worked out for ya!

Old 03-30-2014, 09:28 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by caverjoe
Wow and you are in Wyoming? I had an uncle that used to live in Buffalo. Now Osceola and Collins.

My MIL's family homesteaded north of Buffalo back in the 1800's. She moved back down there in about 1990. My BIL lives there too. Wife and I will be there sometime this summer.