6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

I am an idiot please help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 12:10 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bridge
Correct. But FOMOCO has standard guidance they provide to the dealers that isn't always based on best practice or reality. The words "DEF+FUELTank= FuelSystemReplacement. Not covered under warranty."

As others have said, better safe to drop and flush the tank yourself. If any DEF makes it to the HPFP Ford knows exactly what that looks like and will react accordingly if you have a failure.
I love it when someone makes an assumption based on what they hear. Nope, Ford doesn't say "fuel system replacement" when the vehicle wasn't started or the fuel pump energized. Just tank, and possible flushing from the pump backwards to the tank. Still labor not warrantable.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:22 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by vloney
I love it when someone makes an assumption based on what they hear. Nope, Ford doesn't say "fuel system replacement" when the vehicle wasn't started or the fuel pump energized. Just tank, and possible flushing from the pump backwards to the tank. Still labor not warrantable.
That's why I said in my previous post that it is dealer dependant. Its not based on what I've heard, rather with the experience I've gained going to many different Ford dealers while owning the Fords I've listed in my signature. However, if you can IM the OP and give him the name and location of a dealership that is guaranteed not to recommend a fuel system replacement and negative OASIS update I'm sure he'd be very appreciative.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:12 PM
Thasilver_6.7
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bridge is right... we have 2 ford dealers within 15 miles of each other here....the difference is night and day as far as honesty! I think it depends on work load, time of the month and what tech...you happen to get assigned with, service manager etc.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:20 PM
caverjoe
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No it was not started and i pulled the #68 fuse under the hood. Book said that was fuel pump relay. Before i turned the key to accs. To put it in neutral. I am very capable and think i will do it.
Thanks guys

Old 03-29-2014, 01:34 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
Ford has procedures for a truck that wasn't started. Procedure B then C.
It's still going to hurt the bank account but a fraction of the entire fuel system replacement.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:52 PM
F stock owner
Senior User
Originally Posted by carlspeed
I'm sorry, what is DEF?
Ok. Just new to diesels, and didn't want to put diesel in a truck that is bad for it...
Sorry nobody answered your question except SeaBee. I borrowed this definition from discoverdef.com: "Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is an emissions control liquid required by modern diesel engines. It is injected into the exhaust stream. DEF is never added to diesel fuel. It is a non-hazardous solution of 32.5% urea in 67.5% de-ionized water. DEF is clear and colorless, and looks exactly like water. It has a slight smell of ammonia, similar to some home cleaning agents. DEF is used by Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) technology to remove harmful NOx emissions from diesel engines."

"In January 2010, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) brought in new emissions standards requiring medium- and heavy-duty vehicles to significantly reduce engine emissions, particularly NOx and particulate matter (PM). Vehicle manufacturers use SCR to meet these standards. DEF is sprayed into the exhaust, breaking down NOx gases into nitrogen and water using an advanced catalyst system. As a result most new diesel trucks, pickups, SUVs, and vans are now fitted with SCR technology and have a DEF tank that must be regularly refilled."

"EPA set the emissions standards to improve air quality. NOx and PM emissions are associated with a wide range of health problems including respiratory and cardiovascular diseases, aggravation of asthma, acute respiratory symptoms, chronic bronchitis and decreased lung function. The EPA estimates that the emission standards will prevent 8,300 premature deaths, more than 9,500 hospitalizations and 1.5 million work days lost due to illness, saving approximately $70.3 billion by 2030."

"SCR is a so-called "aftertreatment" technology, which means that it destroys harmful emissions after combustion. This gives manufacturers greater scope to tune engines to improve fuel efficiency and increase power. Owners of SCR vehicles enjoy greater reliability and longer oil change intervals, which add up to impressive operating cost savings over the life of the vehicle."

The last sentence is quite controversial. Some people will delete (remove) all or most of the emissions systems on their trucks to increase power, increase MPG and avoid the need for DEF. Doing that also requires a 'tuner' because the truck won't run without the emissions equipment in place. You will also void any warranty you may have and is illegal in some states. I'm not sure the ROI (return on investment) is there either. These trucks already make crazy horse power a torque stock and personally I'm willing to pay a little more for maintenance and/or fuel for clean air.

BTW, Welcome to FTE

To the OP. Sorry for hijacking your thread. I thought a new member deserved a better answer.
---

2012 F-350 Lariat CC SRW FX4

Old 03-29-2014, 03:13 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by F stock owner
Sorry nobody answered your question except SeaBee. I borrowed this definition from discoverdef.com: "Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is an emissions control liquid required by modern diesel engines. It is injected into the exhaust stream. DEF is never added to diesel fuel. It is a non-hazardous solution of 32.5% urea in 67.5% de-ionized water. DEF is clear and colorless, and looks exactly like water. It has a slight smell of ammonia, similar to some home cleaning agents. DEF is used by Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) technology to remove harmful NOx emissions from diesel engines."

"In January 2010, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) brought in new emissions standards requiring medium- and heavy-duty vehicles to significantly reduce engine emissions, particularly NOx and particulate matter (PM). Vehicle manufacturers use SCR to meet these standards. DEF is sprayed into the exhaust, breaking down NOx gases into nitrogen and water using an advanced catalyst system. As a result most new diesel trucks, pickups, SUVs, and vans are now fitted with SCR technology and have a DEF tank that must be regularly refilled."

"EPA set the emissions standards to improve air quality. NOx and PM emissions are associated with a wide range of health problems including respiratory and cardiovascular diseases, aggravation of asthma, acute respiratory symptoms, chronic bronchitis and decreased lung function. The EPA estimates that the emission standards will prevent 8,300 premature deaths, more than 9,500 hospitalizations and 1.5 million work days lost due to illness, saving approximately $70.3 billion by 2030."

"SCR is a so-called "aftertreatment" technology, which means that it destroys harmful emissions after combustion. This gives manufacturers greater scope to tune engines to improve fuel efficiency and increase power. Owners of SCR vehicles enjoy greater reliability and longer oil change intervals, which add up to impressive operating cost savings over the life of the vehicle."

The last sentence is quite controversial. Some people will delete (remove) all or most of the emissions systems on their trucks to increase power, increase MPG and avoid the need for DEF. Doing that also requires a 'tuner' because the truck won't run without the emissions equipment in place. You will also void any warranty you may have and is illegal in some states. I'm not sure the ROI (return on investment) is there either. These trucks already make crazy horse power a torque stock and personally I'm willing to pay a little more for maintenance and/or fuel for clean air.

BTW, Welcome to FTE

To the OP. Sorry for hijacking your thread. I thought a new member deserved a better answer.
---

2012 F-350 Lariat CC SRW FX4
Actually it's a federal law and illegal in all states. It's just that some states don't have emissions testing. Get caught by the correct entity and it's a 10 grand fine.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:29 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Originally Posted by bridge
That's why I said in my previous post that it is dealer dependant. Its not based on what I've heard, rather with the experience I've gained going to many different Ford dealers while owning the Fords I've listed in my signature. However, if you can IM the OP and give him the name and location of a dealership that is guaranteed not to recommend a fuel system replacement and negative OASIS update I'm sure he'd be very appreciative.
In his situation, mine.......Sellers-Sexton Ford.....St.Robert Mo.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:53 PM
vloney
Postmaster

red circle

Old 03-29-2014, 05:25 PM
caverjoe
Laughing Gas
Does anyone have those pages? I will try and search when i get home.thanks

Old 03-29-2014, 08:02 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/downlo...em_revised.pdf

This is old procedure, the one Vloney posted a image of is Aug 2013 version available on motorcraftservice.com if you purchase a subscription. You can purchase a 1 month subscription for $20.

It is listed under the "service tips" tab

Old 03-29-2014, 08:05 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,520 Likes on 1,085 Posts
If it were me I'd have no problem towing it in for the correct flush per the procedure.

I don't think there would be any warranty issues once you told them what happened and what you did and how you disabled it before start up.

On the other hand I would just do it myself if time allows as well.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:31 PM
caverjoe
Laughing Gas
Time allows and the more I have read it should not be a problem I will chase the line up a ways just to make sure there is no contamination, but with the pump not even coming on I dont see how it could get out of the tank. I will at least flush the lines from the pump back even if I dont find anything at the pump just for peace of mind I guess same with new filters.
thanks everyone and thanks Bob for the info. Think I will look into that subscription.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:32 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

OK

It says you have a 2014 with 105 miles on it.
Why would you have to add DEF at 105 miles.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:24 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Maybe dealer was too tight to fill it for him !!

Quick Reply: I am an idiot please help.