Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RUST!!!!!!!!!! UGH!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 06:37 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Off hand I think PPG offers the good aerosol premixed paint. I think there are a few others. I know Plastikote offers factory paint match but that stuff scratches easily!

Old 01-08-2015, 09:05 PM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am dealing with rust now too and i am now leaning far away from eastwood rust encapsulator. I have 3 good coats and its already started again after 1 year. Is the por15 and dom 15 thick. The eastwood encapsulator is very watery

Old 01-09-2015, 06:46 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Yes it is thick. it lays good and covers good. sometimes it will fisheye. so it needs to be prepped good and maybe a second coat. I put a top coat of satin black over it just to seal it all up!

Old 01-09-2015, 08:03 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Dupont also offers aerosol cans.

I hate rust! This is all why I store my nice things in winter and drive junk in the salt.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:37 AM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Originally Posted by 1 Excursion camper
Yes it is thick. it lays good and covers good. sometimes it will fisheye. so it needs to be prepped good and maybe a second coat. I put a top coat of satin black over it just to seal it all up!
Ok good i like that. I am going to have to get some.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:44 AM
Splash67
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Dupont also offers aerosol cans.

I hate rust! This is all why I store my nice things in winter and drive junk in the salt.

I wish I could afford to put Monster up for the winter, but she's the only 4x4 I have right now...

Old 01-09-2015, 08:53 AM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
As a recent move back to MI from Colorado, I did not want my ex succumbing to so many that I have seen here in the Grand Rapids, MI area way rusted out. I chose not to undercoat the body, but rather spray it with
Fluid Film Fluid Film
. It is a by product of sheep fat, and has a funny smell to it, almost sweet. I used an entire gallon of the stuff and sprayed in every nook and cranny I could find on the underside of the body and frame. Especially the area between the factory running boards and the body, and the underside of the running boards themselves. I tested the product with a shake can first, and took it to a self serve car wash to see who easy it would be to wash it off. It really did not wash off, even with the high pressure rinse, just kind of smeared it around like bacon grease stuck to a pan. I was convinced and placed an order off of Amazon for their spray kit.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:49 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
I just talked to my body guy and in the spring, he will be doing some rust repair for me. Also a whole underbody clean up including the bottom of the doors if there is anything happening. I know I have a hole in the drivers side rear rocker area, dogleg in front of the LH rear tire, and the pinch weld is a bit soft along the bottom.

Does anyone know where to get patch panels for underbody? I found outer rocker parts but not the inner or other parts underneath. Im dreading trying to find a clean truck in a junkyard and cut it up.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:42 PM
Lance Helmert
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Our local Carquest can make spray cans. You can get a one coat gloss finish or they can make the base coat, clear coat paints. I think they are using PPG paint and inject it into the premade spray cans.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:00 PM
jamesbfishin
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by exbxtoy
As a recent move back to MI from Colorado, I did not want my ex succumbing to so many that I have seen here in the Grand Rapids, MI area way rusted out. I chose not to undercoat the body, but rather spray it with Fluid Film. It is a by product of sheep fat, and has a funny smell to it, almost sweet. I used an entire gallon of the stuff and sprayed in every nook and cranny I could find on the underside of the body and frame. Especially the area between the factory running boards and the body, and the underside of the running boards themselves. I tested the product with a shake can first, and took it to a self serve car wash to see who easy it would be to wash it off. It really did not wash off, even with the high pressure rinse, just kind of smeared it around like bacon grease stuck to a pan. I was convinced and placed an order off of Amazon for their spray kit.
Fluid film, great product, sprayed entire underbody, under windshield molding and inside all the body plugs throughout the body and doors. Even use it on battery terminals in my boat

Old 03-11-2015, 08:48 AM
BuiltFordTough!
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1 Excursion camper
OK, got some more pics! I got the backside of the rockers all sanded and undercoated. I`ll get that pic later.

Here is the new rocker panel. I already cut it down to fit with the holes where they need to be. I shortened the rocker about 4 inches.

Here is the painted rocker. the color is a perfect match!

This is the panel bonding adhesive. made by 3M. if you put some heat to it like a heat gun or space heater it will cure the adhesive in a half hour.

As soon as I wake up here I`ll get out there and start getting it glued on. I still have to finish undercoating the other rocker panel on the pass side. I did put some cutout in that side also to check out the inside and it is no where near as bad as the drivers side was! I did put some DOM16 on the rust and I need to epoxy coat the inside of the rocker still. once I do that I am going to disassemble my running boards, clean the rust from the brackets and coat them with the DOM16 too.

Is this the part you ordered for your repair?
New Left Side LH Rear Outer Body Rocker Panel Ford F Series SD F650 F750 | eBay

Old 03-11-2015, 03:22 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Yes that looks like the one. I don't have the part number anymore. But it was the front rocker either left or right.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:58 PM
tjbradney
Senior User
To help others with this issue

Ford Repair Panels - 2000-2005 Ford Excursion

i will be ordering the rear panels once i post this comment i have bad rust on that panel and behind it so ill be doing a little write up too like this thanks for this write up though man !

Old 04-26-2017, 04:28 PM
powersz
New User
I know its an old thread but curious how the DOM 16 is holding up after a couple years of use.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:04 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Still holding up great! The X still looks good!

Quick Reply: RUST!!!!!!!!!! UGH!