Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Why are people down on the IDI for Towing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 06:55 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Why are people down on the IDI for Towing?

So I have been searching and reading up on towing with an IDI. In my reading I am seeing a lot of people saying the IDI is no good and I am not sure why. The basic idea is that the Ford frame can handle towing the weight, but the IDI can't.

So I understand that the IDI in stock form (especially NA) is not powerful by today's standards, but should still be able to handle a 5-8k pound trailer.....just won't be fast doing it. However, it seems like it is pretty simple to do some tweaks and produce a decent amount of power. By simple tweaks I mean a new exhaust and then turning up the boost/fuel. That would give you enough power (mainly torque) to tow pretty well (the 10-15K pound range) and could be done without having to stud the heads (up to the 15-20 psi boost range). I mean I have always been under the impression that the key to towing isn't so much about the power to pull the heavy load, its about being able to stop and control it.

Now it isn't going to have the power of a new diesel, but it should do the job well enough and for a whole lot less. Be eaiser to fix and less $$ to maintain. Say you have a total of $10k wrapped up in the IDI purchase and mods....that's a whole lot less than $60k for a new diesel.

Plus comparing it to a modern diesel is like comparing my $5k '94 SHO track car to a new Boss 302 Laguna Seca...a $50k car. My SHO isn't as fast, but it still holds its own pretty well.....even passes a number of them if the driver is less experienced or doesn't have the "Man Parts" to push the car.

Sorry guys....just needed to Rant a little......

Old 03-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
You don't hear that from me, I tow all the time with my IDI, travel trailers, other vehicles, equipment trailer with projects on them, a trailer load of wood while a load in the back, loads of scrap once in a while, etc. All while N/A. It'll haul whatever I need it to, just not at 80mph. And the *******es that think they should be hauling trailers through the mountains at 80mph are the ones that end up in the ravines and they asked for it.

Of course I could put a Dodge engine in it, that'd be as exciting and original as putting a SBC in a Model A.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:25 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The IDI can tow just fine... For me, at least on my truck, Ive always had more than enough power to tow 15K at normal speeds, not slow like people say. My biggest issue has been suspension with my truck. I did a bunch of frame stiffening and added bags, and it keeps up with just about anything on the road.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:29 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Chevy_Eater
You don't hear that from me, I tow all the time with my IDI, travel trailers, other vehicles, equipment trailer with projects on them, a trailer load of wood while a load in the back, loads of scrap once in a while, etc. All while N/A. It'll haul whatever I need it to, just not at 80mph. And the *******es that think they should be hauling trailers through the mountains at 80mph are the ones that end up in the ravines and they asked for it.

Of course I could put a Dodge engine in it, that'd be as exciting and original as putting a SBC in a Model A.

Most of the reading was from a Google search. People on different RV, towing, diesel forums. Someone would ask about buying an IDI that they found fairly cheap to tow their trailer. Everyone would jump in and say "Don't do it!! It can't do the job!!!". Kind of annoyed me.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:33 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
a Dodge engine? like a built 440 or a 426 hemi? that would be alright!
if you mean one of those diesels built by cummins.you can't beat a straight 6 for economy and grunt.nothing wrong there either.

hey a 300-6 ford gas engine will do (has done,and probably will still for years) what we do with our diesels daily.
the n/a idi in fresh tune should do anything a 300-6 does even faster,so it's not like we even need turbo's lol.try and run an idi in need of ip/injectors/timing though,and it can't even hardly tow the truck let alone a trailer.haha.i suspect many today are talking about the neglected idi engines in need of a lot more than boost when they say they can't tow anything.it's no wonder they'd think this if they haven't had the opportunity to drive a properly tuned (even just n/a) idi.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:35 PM
kc0stp
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well to start with the factory only rates them at 7k lb max towing (Ill have to double check that, but know the 460 is rated for more), beyond that its all about the lack of power and IMHO the brakes suck in stock form

Old 03-11-2014, 08:34 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chevy_Eater

That's why I'm taking the International out and putting a Ford in.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:13 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
The IDI can tow just fine... For me, at least on my truck, Ive always had more than enough power to tow 15K at normal speeds, not slow like people say. My biggest issue has been suspension with my truck. I did a bunch of frame stiffening and added bags, and it keeps up with just about anything on the road.

Hey, no fair, your truck don't count!

Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
a Dodge engine? like a built 440 or a 426 hemi? that would be alright!
if you mean one of those diesels built by cummins.you can't beat a straight 6 for economy and grunt.nothing wrong there either.

hey a 300-6 ford gas engine will do (has done,and probably will still for years) what we do with our diesels daily.
the n/a idi in fresh tune should do anything a 300-6 does even faster,so it's not like we even need turbo's lol.try and run an idi in need of ip/injectors/timing though,and it can't even hardly tow the truck let alone a trailer.haha.i suspect many today are talking about the neglected idi engines in need of a lot more than boost when they say they can't tow anything.it's no wonder they'd think this if they haven't had the opportunity to drive a properly tuned (even just n/a) idi.
You know, I'm sure that's where my last 6.9 was. It was my 3rd IDI and so I knew what to expect out of them. My first two were fairly peppy, but this one never made the grade. When I test drove it I thought it was because the PO had the bed completely stacked full of tools and equipment.

Anyway, it was one of those, 'runs and starts great, but no power' stories we hear. The injectors are grey so original, IP probably is too. But here's the towing report, I could put a trailer behind it and that'd slow it down plenty, but just that initial load, no matter what I put ON the trailer or in the bed made it any worse, that truck could tow anything, even with the out of tune engine, T19, and 3.55 gears, none of which are good for towing by itself.

It just did it slowly.....

Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
That's why I'm taking the International out and putting a Ford in.
Tell me it's not getting a 289 or 302...

Old 03-11-2014, 09:24 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Mine does fine. Yeah, it doesn't fly up the hills, but it gets good mileage and can cruise along without too much trouble. I don't know about the van yet, but will before too long. It does have a nice receiver hitch and brake controller though-

Old 03-11-2014, 09:37 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
Mine does fine. Yeah, it doesn't fly up the hills, but it gets good mileage and can cruise along without too much trouble. I don't know about the van yet, but will before too long. It does have a nice receiver hitch and brake controller though-
When I trailered my car to the track last year the van pulled it like it wasnt there. I just set the cruise for 65mph. It held fine on all the inclines except one. All I did was give it a little more throttle than the cc could and it was back up to speed before I got to the top. The car and trailer was about 5000lbs. That was with the original ip and injectors.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:01 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0stp
Well to start with the factory only rates them at 7k lb max towing (Ill have to double check that, but know the 460 is rated for more), beyond that its all about the lack of power and IMHO the brakes suck in stock form
Not quite... NA 7.3 / ZF 15k gvw NA 7.3 E40D 17k gvw, not sure what the turbo models were rated for, something tells me its the same as iirc the 460 is also 15k.

Ive hauled 20k+ with mine, but a stock 3/4 ton with the exception of a turbo, you just have to be careful where you put the weight. I wouldnt advise that much much with a stock or even warmed over IDI it wont like it and neither will you. Yes it will in fact do it, but if youre in hills you will never leave 2nd/3rd gear. Bottom line is, if youre going to tow that much regularly the best approach would be a newer truck, or alot of work into the older ones, and im not talking about engine.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:14 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
because they are idiots.

everyone knows for a fact that ford idi powered trucks are dead slugs that can not outrun a VW with 2 spark plug wires off.
and that is why my truck logged over 150,000 miles rolling down the road rite around 27,000 lbs for the first 3 years i had it.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:12 PM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO, the motor is the least of the limiting factors when towing (within reason). Besides brakes (and a good trailer brake controller and trailer brakes) it's about gears. I had a '69 F600 with a 300/6 and a 5+2. Truck weighed just under 10k empty, had a GVW of 22,600, and it hit the yard scales at almost 26k more than once, and sometimes had a 26' flatbed loaded with equipment and an almost full load in the dump bed. It was limited to just over 60 MPH, but it would do it empty or fully loaded as long as there weren't any steep or long hills. And that motor made less than 140 HP and 260 lb. ft. So with proper gearing and a much lighter truck to start with, there's no reason an IDI can't pull any reasonable load. I pulled our 6k empty 34' trailer over some pretty serious mountain passes, and except for a cooling system issue (bad T-stat) that slowed me on a 3000' + climb (at almost 90* out with AC on initially), I could hardly tell it was on there. It won't accelerate like a new 6.7 PS, but who in their right mind needs to put that kind of stress on their hitch or trailer? With 4.10s and the ZF5, it will pull anything that I would want to pull with a pickup, regardless of motor.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:09 PM
Gettysburg150
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0stp
Dunno where you get your info, BUT.....

My owners manual in my truck says as equipped I can tow 12k, IF I had an auto I could tow 17k

Braking does suck in stock trim, no one will argue that lol. I take my time and leave plenty of space, and don't go over weight (anymore )

Old 03-12-2014, 03:17 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Gettysburg150
Braking does suck in stock trim, no one will argue that lol. I take my time and leave plenty of space, and don't go over weight (anymore )
So all this talk about braking....are there any upgrades available besides hydroboost? On my 94 SHO I was able to take later model Taurus rotors and caliper brackets for increased braking. I was looking into the severe duty towing pads from Napa. ...anyone use these?

Quick Reply: Why are people down on the IDI for Towing?