6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

A/C Compressor Keeps Locking Up Causing No Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 10:03 AM
zeppelingto
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Compressor Keeps Locking Up Causing No Start

Second compressor locked up and caused a no start. Any ideas what causes this. It could be a bad unit; it was a reman the second time around.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:13 AM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by zeppelingto
Second compressor locked up and caused a no start. Any ideas what causes this. It could be a bad unit; it was a reman the second time around.
Has to be the unit. There may be alot of contaminants in your system. Did your first compressor burn up? If so then there is contaminants in your system and the only way to get rid of them is replace compressor and ac condenser and evaporator.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:26 AM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zeppelingto
Need more info....did new compessor come with a clutch, or you had to reuse your old one?

Also, I'm pretty sure you'd burn the belt in half with a frozen compressor before it would lock up the motor, preventing it to start. Have you taken the belt off and tried to start?

Old 02-21-2014, 10:29 AM
zeppelingto
Senior User
Oem unit was first to go then reman. Seems like it's the bearings on the pulley not the actual compressor. There are metal shavings around the pully. Idler has sone play. Thought it might be seizing when it heats up and that could be what's dragging the compressor down with it? I guess if there was contamination in the system it could bind up the internal parts if the compressor and that could fry the bearings. Both times the AC stopped working then the compressor siezed.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:32 AM
zeppelingto
Senior User
Originally Posted by Money-Pit
Need more info....did new compessor come with a clutch, or you had to reuse your old one?

Also, I'm pretty sure you'd burned belt in half with a frozen compressor before it would lock up the motor, preventing it to start. Have you taken the belt off and tried to start?
I'm pretty sure the reman was a total unit. Belt was almost glued to the compressor. Pulley is completely frozen and is pressed against the compressor

Old 02-21-2014, 11:22 AM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm, sounds like the clutch (part of your a/c pulley) locked up shortly before it was parked last time? The weird part is it happened twice?

Your best bet would be to get a new, not reman compressor and have someone flush the system prior to installing it. Also get a new accumulator/dryer and orifice thingy. (most of the time you will have to buy these things to maintain the new compressor warranty)

I don't do A/C, but I have a friend that does.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:23 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Money-Pit
Hmm, sounds like the clutch (part of your a/c pulley) locked up shortly before it was parked last time? The weird part is it happened twice?

Your best bet would be to get a new, not reman compressor and have someone flush the system prior to installing it. Also get a new accumulator/dryer and orifice thingy. (most of the time you will have to buy these things to maintain the new compressor warranty)

I don't do A/C, but I have a friend that does.
Orifice tube. Parts stores here will give a 90 day warranty usually and 1 year if you also replace the dryer and tube. All the items must be on the same receipt.