Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Dealerships says I need new PCM 1500.00

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 11:33 AM
Jerry Chaney
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealerships says I need new PCM 1500.00

Gosh, I did not want to take my truck to ford. but my truck was performing bad. No throttle response, lack of power. And still loud as hell. Needed to be scanned. So for 130.00 they did a diag test. I was hoping it was something simple. Not! Man, it ran fine before I did all the different orings..oil cooler, Injectors, and HPOP. They said new PCM for 1500.00 and they would go from there. **** that! One thing I noticed when checking Injectors on drivers side was the big connector with like 34 wires in it, the male side with all the pins, some of them looked oxidized. Is that part of the PCM? Remember, I had that dissconnected for a while, two weeks or so. And it got pretty cold here at night.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:11 PM
Mitch1407
Senior User
Did they give you any reasons for their suspicion? If not I would check other routes. Do you have a chip or programmer? If so remove/uninstall and run as stock. You might have had a corrupt download of a tune. If it was the PCM I feel that it wouldnt run at all. Most likely some sensor feeding the PCM with data. You can always find a buddy who can swap pcms to test. Or junkyard. But I wouldnt drop 1500 and "go from there."

Old 02-18-2014, 01:02 PM
mclaughlin16846
New User
if it was the pcm you most likely would not have a wts light that is what controls it but if it is the pcm it is easy to change and you can get it through autozone bring them yours and the order one it is flashed and set up for your truck i think you would have to give them your vin to flash it to

Old 02-18-2014, 01:05 PM
mclaughlin16846
New User
also try unpluging the icp on the front of the drivers side valve cover see if it runs better if not try the cps if you haven't yet

Old 02-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
What did you do about your ICP issue? Which CPS do you have? You likely haven't run the truck long enough to "hammer" all the oil out of your oil yet... unless you've driven at least 50 miles - maybe closer to 100 miles after draining your oil to bone dry for the work you've done.

A bad ICP sensor or a stuck IPR can make the truck louder... or maybe you're getting used to the new-found Injection Control Pressure you've been lacking before now. Low fuel pressure can't be ruled out either.

Posting a video of the truck running might be helpful.

As for the PCM, it takes 10 minutes to swap one out (one hour for those doing it the first time while consulting the forum) - so shop the wrecking yards or the internet for a used one with the code you have... if that's what it really is. When comparing with the sphincter-stabbing of the stealership solution - you could buy AE, troubleshoot the problem for real, buy a used PCM, and save $750.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:20 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
When comparing with the sphincter-stabbing of the stealership solution - you could buy AE, troubleshoot the problem for real, buy a used PCM, and save $750.
I like Rich's thinking here. AE would be the gift that keeps on giving. The $1500 to the dealer? Not so much.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:59 PM
Jerry Chaney
Junior User
What did you do about your ICP issue? Which CPS do you have? You likely haven't run the truck long enough to "hammer" all the oil out of your oil yet... unless you've driven at least 50 miles - maybe closer to 100 miles after draining your oil to bone dry for the work you've done.

A bad ICP sensor or a stuck IPR can make the truck louder... or maybe you're getting used to the new-found Injection Control Pressure you've been lacking before now. Low fuel pressure can't be ruled out either.

Posting a video of the truck running might be helpful.

As for the PCM, it takes 10 minutes to swap one out (one hour for those doing it the first time while consulting the forum) - so shop the wrecking yards or the internet for a used one with the code you have... if that's what it really is. When comparing with the sphincter-stabbing of the stealership solution - you could buy AE, troubleshoot the problem for real, buy a used PCM, and save $750.
I have not put in new ICP, I think it's still good. Because when I unplugged it while running, it ran like sh it. Plug it back in and still ran bad, until I turned the motor off and restarted it. Then it ldled better. I would like to try CSP next though. I heard that could be a cheap fix. I don't know if they checked fuel pressure though. They said they would.Also, when I swapped out oil from reservoir, it was pretty black and thin and stinky. And lots of tiny bubbles. What is AE? Is that the #8 cylinder. Mine say's LL on it.
Really appreciate all of you guy's on this forum.
Jerry....

Old 02-18-2014, 03:24 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AE is AutoEnginuity, It's a scan tool, on board testing and much more. Bought one in October love it and still learning it.

AutoEnginuity Total Ford Enhanced Bundle - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Old 02-18-2014, 03:25 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
That $130 for one shot to look at the truck can be done at home as many times as you want from now on: [LINK]

Old 02-18-2014, 03:25 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Gawd Scott... you win the race.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:29 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gawd Scott... you win the race.
Hahaha, my legs may still be a little slow but fingers and small brains (mostly full of snot) is gaining.

Edit: Tugly is the AE genius, listen to him!

Old 02-18-2014, 06:02 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
For your $130, they should have printed out the complete diagnosis from their scanner. If they didn't give it to you, go back and get it. That'll have all the codes, share 'em with us and we'll get you on the right track - hopefully.

Once I was stuck and had to go to a dealer for codes, and they wanted to sell me four injectors. I trusted their judgement on what the codes meant. After replacing all injectors myself, and the problem was exactly the same, the good folks on this forum (actually it was the '94 - '97 guys) straightened me out and I replaced the IDM.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:52 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
That 34 wire thing is what we call the 42 pin connector (not all the pins are used). It carries the signal between the IDM and the injectors to make the injectors work. Start by cleaning those pins and make sure you have a good connection there.

Did you get any list of codes from the scan or just the we'll start with $1,500 of your money diagnosis?

Old 02-19-2014, 08:03 AM
Jerry Chaney
Junior User
Originally Posted by SaintITC
For your $130, they should have printed out the complete diagnosis from their scanner. If they didn't give it to you, go back and get it. That'll have all the codes, share 'em with us and we'll get you on the right track - hopefully.

Once I was stuck and had to go to a dealer for codes, and they wanted to sell me four injectors. I trusted their judgement on what the codes meant. After replacing all injectors myself, and the problem was exactly the same, the good folks on this forum (actually it was the '94 - '97 guys) straightened me out and I replaced the IDM.

Ok guys, picked up my truck. Here are the codes:
,,,,236247 verify Mil on found injector to be unusually loud EEC test
,,,,p0733 p1209 p1210 p1211 p1280 p1282 PID monitor found ICP @ 2800 psi
,,,,Idle pinpoint test rec replace PCM and retest. customer declined repair.
I am going to clean pins on that IDM this morn

Old 02-19-2014, 09:05 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerry Chaney

Ok guys, picked up my truck. Here are the codes:
,,,,236247 verify Mil on found injector to be unusually loud EEC test
,,,,p0733 p1209 p1210 p1211 p1280 p1282 PID monitor found ICP @ 2800 psi
,,,,Idle pinpoint test rec replace PCM and retest. customer declined repair.
I am going to clean pins on that IDM this morn
Not sure of the 236247, someone else will have to chime in for that one. P0733 is most likely unrelated. The rest all relate to ICP problems.

My reference to the IDM was just part of my story about trusting the dealership. At the dealership I went to, the print out had the specific codes, and then a section where the mechanic wrote in what he thought was the solution or course of action. In my case, he completely skipped the Ford manual's troubleshooting procedure. Had he followed it, he would have found the problem and saved his dealership a lawsuit.

I believe Tugly and or Guzzle have links to the proper troubleshooting procedures.

Quick Reply: Dealerships says I need new PCM 1500.00