6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

HFCM/filter work, now no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 08:21 AM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
HFCM/filter work, now no start

did an oil and filter change yesterday, along with both fuel filters and installed an updated drain plug at the HFCM. in order to get it out, i had to remove the plate that the drain plug screws in to to get the old plug out. this meant disconnecting the four fuel lines that go into it. that along with an axle u-joint took about 2.5 hours, so all went really well. i shoulda known better.

started the truck, fired right up and purred like a kitten.. for about a minute. i then noticed a lope at the tail pipe, which got worse and worse until the engine was bucking and then died. then it would not restart.

i am assuming the truck started and ran on what was still in the upper bowl, then that was it. we tried and tried to get fuel back up to the bowl, but it just won't do it. i get a little "glug" when you first turn the key over, thats it. so here are the facts:

- both fuel filters and oil filter replaced using Motorcraft parts
- HFCM side cover removed to replace drain plug (o-ring is in great shape on plate, drain plug is new)
- fuel lines were disconnected at HFCM to remove cover, verified to be reseated well
- cycled key a few times to purge air like i've succesfully done before w/ filter changes
- no fuel getting to top bowl
- after cycling key many times, opening water drain valve drops no fuel
- lower filter cap is on tight/fully seated (verified 4 times), new o-ring
- all oil-related numbers check out (fresh T6, good IPR/ICP values cranking)
- checked fuel pump trip switch in passenger footwell
- fuel pump fuse good
- no codes
- manually filled top bowl with fuel, still wont fire

i will update this list as questions are asked.

at this point i am convinced it's something in/around the HFCM area not letting fuel through, but everything seems to check out.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:30 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
How much fuel is in the tank? If it's low it might not be picking up. Typically I'd say you were sucking air somewhere but it sounds like you checked for that.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:30 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bbender85
did an oil and filter change yesterday, along with both fuel filters and installed a Riff Raff drain plug at the HFCM. in order to get it out, i had to remove the plate that the drain plug screws in to to get the old plug out. this meant disconnecting the four fuel lines that go into it. that along with an axle u-joint took about 2.5 hours, so all went really well. i shoulda known better.

started the truck, fired right up and purred like a kitten.. for about a minute. i then noticed a lope at the tail pipe, which got worse and worse until the engine was bucking and then died. then it would not restart.

i am assuming the truck started and ran on what was still in the upper bowl, then that was it. we tried and tried to get fuel back up to the bowl, but it just won't do it. i get a little "glug" when you first turn the key over, thats it. so here are the facts:

- both fuel filters and oil filter replaced using Motorcraft parts
- HFCM side cover removed to replace drain plug (o-ring is in great shape on plate, drain plug is new)
- fuel lines were disconnected at HFCM to remove cover, verified to be reseated well
- cycled key a few times to purge air like i've succesfully done before w/ filter changes
- no fuel getting to top bowl
- after cycling key many times, opening water drain valve drops no fuel
- lower filter cap is on tight/fully seated (verified 4 times), new o-ring
- all oil-related numbers check out (fresh T6, good IPR/ICP values cranking)
- checked fuel pump trip switch in passenger footwell
- fuel pump fuse good
- no codes

i will update this list as questions are asked.

at this point i am convinced it's something in/around the HFCM area not letting fuel through, but everything seems to check out.
Does the pump run as soon as the key is turned to the on position? It should run for approximately 20 seconds with the key in the on position. Did you get the cover plate tightened good when you reinstalled it? That cover may need a new gasket.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:32 AM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump plugged in all the way. Connection could of got bumped. I would unplug it and make sure it has good connection. Can you hear the pump at all with key on?

Old 02-17-2014, 08:40 AM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
How much fuel is in the tank? If it's low it might not be picking up. Typically I'd say you were sucking air somewhere but it sounds like you checked for that.
1/4, as recommended by many when doing filters.

Originally Posted by mustang_309
Does the pump run as soon as the key is turned to the on position? It should run for approximately 20 seconds with the key in the on position. Did you get the cover plate tightened good when you reinstalled it? That cover may need a new gasket.
i hear a humming at the HFCM; should i hear something closer to the tank? i did tighten the cover plate, and disassembled it two more times to verify the o-ring was seating correctly. cleaned it all with brake cleaner the first time it was apart too.

Originally Posted by 9228.bobcat
Fuel pump plugged in all the way. Connection could of got bumped. I would unplug it and make sure it has good connection. Can you hear the pump at all with key on?
i didn't disconnect or work near the tank, only the two plugs on the HFCM (which i thought were just the water sensor and the fuel heater).

Old 02-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Double-check your LOWER filter cap is fully seated.

Replaced my fuel filters yesterday too.
Afterwards no fuel pressure (luckily I have a FP gauge on my A-piller )
I spent about 30-minutes focused on the upper fuel filter - since it was so much easier, lots of air coming out after I loosened it each time, kept me thinking just lots of air to purge.

Finally, went back under (had to jack it up again, I'm 2wd )
and went to remove the lower filter when I realized it was coming off to easy, found I had NOT tightened it all the way, I had previously tightened it until it "felt snug" but it was just a false "snug", just hit a bind point I guess. Anyway tightened it quite a bit more until it seated.

cycled key and 69 PSI and THEN I tried to start and it fired right up.

BTW, got a new 3/8" flex-head ratchet fits PERFECTLY up there now no more hitting the transmission crossmember now. I use a 3/8 to 1/2 adaptor on my 36MM socket.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:54 AM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
lower filter cap is definitely on tight, seated and reseated four times to verify. in the searching online i did most pointed to that, so that was my main focus.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:59 AM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Are all the fuel lines on tight?

Old 02-17-2014, 08:59 AM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
on the lower filter subject, i am wondering about the nuts and bolts of that unit:

there is a barb on the diameter of the filter that looks like it catches a raised bar in the HFCM casting as the cap is turned, which keeps it from turning any further and lines the little fingers up in the filter to engage the female slots on the HFCM side, and as you tighten the filter cap that spring-loaded female side compresses, assumingly opening the fuel line to the secondary filter? i thought maybe it was something in the filter not doing that, but that doesn't make sense that the Motorcraft part wouldn't. also like i said above, opening the water drain after all this key cycling doesn't produce any fuel, so it's not even getting fuel to the upstream side of the filter in the HFCM (assuming thats how this thing works).

appreciate the responses guys.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:00 AM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Are all the fuel lines on tight?
they are those silly quick disconnects, which i did go back and remove/reinstall, all with positive "clicks" upon seating.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:05 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
I would get some more fuel to put in the tank to at least eliminate low fuel being the problem. To me it sounds like you're not getting any fuel TO the pump, but of course sucking air wouldn't allow it to pick up either.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:11 AM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I would get some more fuel to put in the tank to at least eliminate low fuel being the problem. To me it sounds like you're not getting any fuel TO the pump, but of course sucking air wouldn't allow it to pick up either.
X2. Easiest and you can rule it out.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:15 AM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Almost sounds as if its not priming the pump. Maybe put some air pressure to the tank and help prime it when key is on.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:35 AM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
i hear a humming at the HFCM; should i hear something closer to the tank? ...i didn't disconnect or work near the tank, only the two plugs on the HFCM (which i thought were just the water sensor and the fuel heater).
looking at some HFCM pics on google it looks like the fuel pump plug harness is right behind the WIF sensor at the HFCM.. i will have to verify THAT didn't get bumped like you said. but as mentioned i DO hear a humming for just a few seconds at the HFCM when the key is cycled (along with some gurgling..), so i assume the pump is running.

gosh wouldn't that be a happy ending fix..

Old 02-17-2014, 09:39 AM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
looking at some HFCM pics on google it looks like the fuel pump plug harness is right behind the WIF sensor at the HFCM.. i will have to verify THAT didn't get bumped like you said. but as mentioned i DO hear a humming for just a few seconds at the HFCM when the key is cycled (along with some gurgling..), so i assume the pump is running.

gosh wouldn't that be a happy ending fix..
You hear gurgling? And the fuel bowl is not filling up? If thats the case I would put another 5 gallons of fuel in there as suggested before.

Quick Reply: HFCM/filter work, now no start