1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT model a

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 11:32 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's your car but IMO it's too good to modify. Not many As are left in that condition.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:58 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Great looking car... Congrats

Old 02-08-2014, 02:07 PM
EAK69
Senior User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice car - now LEAVE IT ALONE and drive it!!!

Old 02-08-2014, 02:19 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EAK69
Nice car - now LEAVE IT ALONE and drive it!!!

I would prolly upgrade it to a Flat head V8. But that would be all I would do unless it don't have juice brakes. Than she would get that too

Old 02-08-2014, 02:25 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
What Arctic said..... Fordification. Little more juice under the hood and a good dose of it for the brakes.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:05 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Thanks guys, I kind of agree although that wasn't the plan. It doesn't have juice brakes, all original mechanical brakes. It runs and drives... I don't know yet what to do now., I've gone out and looked at it for a long time and it looks better from twenty feet, believe me, it needs lots of fender repair. It's kind of like money in the bank, I won't tear it down yet.. I could sell it and get back the money if my heart's really not into modifying it. Maybe it's a little buyer remorse. Thanks for everybody's help and kind words. I still have Whitey so I'm going away any time soon.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:59 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
I really hope ya don't rat the A bud. There are many A body's still out there that all
there is left do do to then is modify and fordify them. Save the old man A. He has earned his scars. JMHO.

Ps: Ya can even get a glass body to fit several later frames if ratting one is what
needs to happen. Think about building a rat than use it to pull the A to car shows. Have them both so folks can see what an original looks and drives like. Than they can check out the Fordifyed/modifyed Rat. Just saying.

I wish I would have got an A or a B back 30 years ago when they was plentiful and
like the old Stangs, affordable.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:04 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Originally Posted by arctic y block
I really hope ya don't rat the A bud. There are many A body's still out there that all
there is left do do to then is modify and fordify them. Save the old man A. He has earned his scars. JMHO.

Ps: Ya can even get a glass body to fit several later frames if ratting one is what
needs to happen. Think about building a rat than use it to pull the A to car shows. Have them both so folks can see what an original looks and drives like. Than they can check out the Fordifyed/modifyed Rat. Just saying.

I wish I would have got an A or a B back 30 years ago when they was plentiful and
like the old Stangs, affordable.
No rat rod. Don't like them. Was thinking doing the same as the F 1, "restorod" Keep it as original as possible, just modern suspension, drive train, so I can drive it. You guys are making me have second thoughts.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
I would do what you want. They did make over 4 million of them.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:25 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Just registered on HAMB and Ford Barn. Ford Barn was friendly, but they made clear it for stockers , mostly except for mild modification. HAMB lived up it's reputation. Don't feel I fit into there requirements. They said no street rods, just traditional modifications. Traditional meaning before some date in the fifties. So restrictive, my truck is a combination of traditional and new. Sad, no FTE for Model a's. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:43 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
What ever ya do ZOOt we will be here and help all we can. We all may not like what ya do to it. But we are not the ones ya have to please.
Please yerself. We can and will work with ya.

I like them close to stock with maybe a few safety mods and upgrades.
But I really do like them all. Just hate to see one that is factory like an A modified to much. But like I said here or somewhere.
I would prolly install a supercharged or turbo-ed 54 Merc flatie and a caddy or lasale (sp) tranny and like that.
I do like the old Hot rods with the missing front fenders and open headers and like that also.
So what ever route ya go I think we will like it just fine cus like us ya don't want
an all out rat. I mean who the hell likes rats anyway. But an old 50's cruiser is way cool
I don't care who ya are.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:01 PM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can hang out with me!
I will build a boat tail speedster soon
Looking for good chassis to start with
Here is a wild on

Old 02-14-2014, 11:29 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Chris that looks scary enough to be fun up to Maybe 45 MPH.
70 after a quart of Jack. Maybe.

I saw an add once for a new Stanly Steamer with wood spoke wheels and all. It said
something like if ya could hold the throttle open for Like 2 minutes you could have it.
Damn in that time with a full head of steam ya would be close to 100mph. No
freakin way Jose. This had leather brakes and tiller steering mind ya.
And ya sat about 6 feet off the road. If ya could call it a road back then.

Not no but hell no.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:02 AM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru

There aren’t many cars built for pure speed these days. Some people might take issue with such a blanket statement, pointing to vehicles like the 638 horsepower Corvette ZR1 or 662 horsepower Shelby GT500. We would counter that while yes, such vehicles pack a ton of power, they are also designed with driver comfort and safety in mind. Both vehicles have air bags, air conditioning, high-tech suspensions, and padded seats.

Yes, padded seats are a luxury when you talk about the earliest race cars, which weren’t much more than motorized sleds with steering and a seat for daredevils to drive. Up on the Hemmings Auto Blog is a custom built Model T Speedster with a high asking price and just the bare necessities. It takes a special kind of crazy to drive such a contraption…that begs the question, would you ever get behind the wheel?

The main attraction on this speedster is the stainless steel custom body, which wraps around a Rajo high-performance four-cylinder engine. This speedster was setup for competitive racing events and features velocity stacks, a MSD electronic ignition, as well as a custom intake and exhaust setup. There isn’t much more to this speedster than that.

Sure there’s a seat…if you can really call it that. It’s more like a stool minus the legs, and the suspension setup is pretty much non-exisitent. You just ride the rails, feeling every bump and rut in a road. Ah, what an experience that must be! With nothing but a helmet and jacket between you and the worst case of road rash imaginable, driving this speedster must be amazing.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:31 AM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru

Quick Reply: OT model a