Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Worn ball joints causing camber change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 01:05 PM
Dee C.
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it worn ball joints that cause my tires to lean?It's an 85' F-150 4x4 and everytime I back up the tires lean in at the top.I believe that's what's referred to as negative camber.The outside of the tires are showing wear also.Is this caused by worn ball joints?
If I do change the ball joints is there any adjustment to get the correct camber or is it a set thing?I'm not looking forward to changing the ball joints but I hear if I rent a pickle fork and ball joint press it shouldn't be to bad a job for a shade tree mechanic.
I'd appreciate someone sharing a little of their knowledge on this.Also should I get the front end aligned after putting in new ball joints?

Old 06-29-2003, 05:48 PM
sixbanger
New User

I am having the same problem with my 1991 F150. When I back up the tires lean in so far it looks like the front axel broke, then when I drive forward the tires lean out and have almost completely worn down the out side of my tires. I'm not sure if this is a ball-joint problem or not, but that is my hunch. But I do know that it is definately a good idea to have the truck aligned after changing the ball joints.

Old 06-29-2003, 06:22 PM
mrwizard
Posting Guru

Easy to check that stuff out. Jack the tire off the ground and try and move it around. Or better yet, get under the truck and have someone else try to move the tire and keep a close eye on things underneath. You both might want to check out the radius arm bushings and axle pivot bushings for wear or deterioration.

Old 06-29-2003, 11:22 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend

If the tire is leaning, it is most likely ball joints and in my experience it is usually the lower one that goes first if you have big tires. As someone mentioned before, anything that excessive is easy to tell just by jacking it up, putting a hand over and under the tire, and try to get movement by alternating pulling and pushing the top of the tire.

Any type of play or clunk means it is worn. As long as the truck is on TWO jack stands you can test it yourself under the truck by using your feet to grasp the lower part of the tire and pull it back and forth.

Old 06-29-2003, 11:55 PM
sixbanger
New User

I've tried this tire shaking test and everything seems to be solid, the only flex is in my tires sidewalls. Though it would probably take me an entire day, I may change the ball-joints anyway.

My truck also has a six inch superlift and 35" tires, could this somehow be the problem?

Old 06-30-2003, 01:50 AM
mrwizard
Posting Guru

Lift kits wreak havoc on TTB front suspensions. Check to make sure the rivets holding your crossmember to the frame haven't loosened up allowing the crossmember to move. Also, VERY carefully check the crossmember for cracks around, and just above where the axle drop brackets bolt on. I had problems with both on my '95 and had to get everything welded back together. I also had to replace the drop brackets that were on my truck when I bought it because they couldn't correct the camber. I had a Tough Country 4" lift on it, and even though the brackets are supposed to have like a plus/minus 2.5 degree camber adjustment built in, it wouldn't align. After putting on Superlift brackets and adding a custom connecting bracket, I have no more camber problems.

Old 07-02-2003, 10:48 PM
Dee C.
Freshman User
Smile Worn ball joints causing camber change?

Well,I found the problem with my front end.After jacking it up and doin' the ole push pull thing on the tires the ball joints seemed fine.Took it into a shop and they checked it out.Found the I-beam bushings were worn out.Replaced them,aligned the front end and for 175 bucks all is good.Learn something new everyday.The tires no longer lean.Appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Old 07-02-2003, 10:50 PM
mrwizard
Posting Guru

Good to hear every thing is straight again.