Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

January All Topic/Off Topic Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 06:47 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
The IDIs are purely mechanical engines, therefore no electronics to "chip" The early Powerstrokes are electronicly controlled, so you can tune them with a chip. I too would like to hear more about this engine as I have previously heard of one that changing the oil would alleviate problems for a short time. Always wondered if it was a weak HPOP that would work better with fresh oil.
Might be awhile before we hear from him...I'm guessing he's parting too much now that his high plains ponies are headed to the Meadowlands next month. The boy, well he isn't taking it too well that Brady couldn't pull it off...again. Speaking of Mr. Moderator; as much as Scott hates to admit it...there is allot in common between the 7.3L (PSD) and the 6.0L when compared to other PSD engines. Both use HUEI style injectors (the 6.0L are smaller) and the associated high pressure oil systems. The biggest difference of course is the displacement and variable geometry turbo on the 6.0L engine. Jeff was it you that that made the comment that you drove a IDI powered F250 home with dead batteries several years ago? Seem like the only thing that was different was the engine wasn't showing any oil pressure on the dash. Maybe it was another member of FTE

Old 01-20-2014, 09:21 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by zhilton
Jeff was it you that that made the comment that you drove a IDI powered F250 home with dead batteries several years ago? Seem like the only thing that was different was the engine wasn't showing any oil pressure on the dash. Maybe it was another member of FTE
Wasn't me, and that could be difficult as it does have an electrical shutdown solenoid in the pump. Not sure at what voltage it wouldn't have enough pull to keep the engine running though.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:54 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Wasn't me, and that could be difficult as it does have an electrical shutdown solenoid in the pump. Not sure at what voltage it wouldn't have enough pull to keep the engine running though.
Maybe just a couple of volts would keep the relay energized? But not enough to power the gauges??? The more I think about it...I think it was in the 6.0L forum and there was a comment/thread about the fact that if the LPOP (low pressure oil pump) down in the oil pan died...the engine would die before damage was done to the bearings. I can only assume it's some-what similar on the 7.3L...but on the 6.0L, the LPOP feeds the HPOP which creates the pressure needed to fire the injectors. Thus, if the LPOP died..no oil to the HPOP...and no pressurized oil to fire the injectors. I know, more than most of you ever wanted to know about a 6.0L PSD.

I hope this link works....if not I'm going to have to figure out a way to get it to work. This is using your Ford in a way Dearborn did NOT intend.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Old 01-20-2014, 09:01 PM
lindstromjd
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe just a couple of volts would keep the relay energized? But not enough to power the gauges??? The more I think about it...I think it was in the 6.0L forum and there was a comment/thread about the fact that if the LPOP (low pressure oil pump) down in the oil pan died...the engine would die before damage was done to the bearings. I can only assume it's some-what similar on the 7.3L...but on the 6.0L, the LPOP feeds the HPOP which creates the pressure needed to fire the injectors. Thus, if the LPOP died..no oil to the HPOP...and no pressurized oil to fire the injectors. I know, more than most of you ever wanted to know about a 6.0L PSD.

I hope this link works....if not I'm going to have to figure out a way to get it to work. This is using your Ford in a way Dearborn did NOT intend.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
7.3's are the same basic principle. You run it out of oil, and the LPOP can't supply the HPOP with oil to keep it running. Happens way before any damage can be done by running the bearings dry.

... that's definitely a new one for me, with that airplane. I guess it's the same kind of thinking for a push-start though...

Oh, and IDI fuel shutoff solenoids close at around 10 volts. I forgot to hook up a voltage regulator once, and the truck drove for a good 500 miles before my mother turned it off because the headlights were too dim for her to see anything. Didn't hurt anything other than my pride...

Old 01-21-2014, 04:22 AM
F250W6.0
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Morning All !!! Just thought I would extend a greeting to everyone on this gloriously cool day ,wind blowing quite nicely this morning. Cannot believe this month is nearly gone, but kinda glad I get to go to Bull Shoals the 31st.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:37 AM
Mysterman68
Elder User
Gggood Mmmorning Arkansas!

Can't believe they got that airplane started........hahahaha.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:25 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Only in Arkansas...70F for a high on Monday; 36F for the high 24 hours later. At least the weekend is still looking good on the extended forecast.
Originally Posted by F250W6.0
Cannot believe this month is nearly gone, but kinda glad I get to go to Bull Shoals the 31st.
Harry, it ain't nice to tease those of us still stuck working and not retired like some folks around here. With everything your dragging behind your rig...good thing it's a 6.0L

Old 01-22-2014, 08:46 AM
Mysterman68
Elder User
Ggggood Mmmorning Arkansas!!

Sounds like the East Coast is getting blasted with the white stuff. Better them than us.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:04 AM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Mudslinger72315
i would definitely like to see it.
Here it is: Sure it holds a lot, but it just cost more to run than I want...

Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2014, 01:07 AM
lindstromjd
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are you doing still awake at 1am?

Nice set-up though; looks like it would work perfectly for the beer and pop.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:28 AM
Mysterman68
Elder User
Gggood Mmmorning Arkansas!!

Happy Thursday everyone. Another breezy one today in the "Rock".

Old 01-23-2014, 09:33 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok Scott..I'll bite, how do you "chip" a non-electronic engine? I know you can turn the pump up, change the injectors and/or the turbo. But I guess I don't understand how someone would chip one of the older/simpler full mechanical engines.
You do not. I said an early PSD can be chipped. An IDI can not.

Always wondered if it was a weak HPOP that would work better with fresh oil.
Heck, a brand new HPOP works better with fresh oil. 7.3's seem to be fairly oil sensitive. My truck will drop nearly 2 mpg if the oil goes past 6000 miles. Comes right back when I change it.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:29 AM
Mysterman68
Elder User

TGIF!! I know nothing about diesel's. Is the 7.3 better than the 6.0 ?

Old 01-24-2014, 10:56 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
If you thinking your having a rough week...this is what I've been dealing with at work since Tuesday.

Broken Bridge Shuts Down Rail and River Traffic | 5NEWSOnline.com

I know just from the railroad side...it's getting expensive with the backlog of freight needing to get across. I hear the barges are stackin up and it's even more expensive.
Originally Posted by cookie88
You do not. I said an early PSD can be chipped. An IDI can not.
Could have sworn you said otherwise...but looking back, the evidence isn't there. Strange.
Originally Posted by cookie88
Heck, a brand new HPOP works better with fresh oil. 7.3's seem to be fairly oil sensitive. My truck will drop nearly 2 mpg if the oil goes past 6000 miles. Comes right back when I change it.
Yet another reason why I agree Ford got it wrong when they claimed you could go 7500 between oil changes on these HUEI engines. There is a guy in the 6.0L (from KC) that hauls RV out of Indiana all over 'Merica. I wonder how often he changes his oil? The last thread I read that he started...his motor trashed a lifter at 570k miles. I want to say he's got an '06...but I'm too lazy to go look up the thread right now.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:36 AM
Mysterman68
Elder User

I'm enjoying the nicer weather here in the "Rock". How's everyone doing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: January All Topic/Off Topic Thread