Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

January All Topic/Off Topic Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 11:48 AM
Mudslinger72315
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tojoski
I might take you up on that. I'll snap a pic the next time I'm out there..
i would definitely like to see it.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:01 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Since this customer has three of these things it looks like I'm going to have to learn a little something about them
YES

You just thought you could avoid the darkside Mr Bulldog skinner! Wasn't the other truck having the same issue...the HPOP reservoir was losing oil overnight? Or am I thinking of someone else's 7.3L? And coming from a 6.0L guy...are you sure the injectors are alright after running them on low fuel pressure? I know all too well what happens to 6.0L when the pressure gets low and stays low...$$$$$

Old 01-13-2014, 07:30 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by zhilton
YES

You just thought you could avoid the darkside Mr Bulldog skinner! Wasn't the other truck having the same issue...the HPOP reservoir was losing oil overnight? Or am I thinking of someone else's 7.3L? And coming from a 6.0L guy...are you sure the injectors are alright after running them on low fuel pressure? I know all too well what happens to 6.0L when the pressure gets low and stays low...$$$$$
I'm sure the innectors are in need of replacement, but the guy is in financial trouble and is happy that it is running at all. The other truck I was asking about had sat for over a year, so I guess it had plenty of time for the oil to drain out.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:10 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What would cause the oil to drain from the hipop reservoir?
The oil passages from the low pressure pump to the high pressure reservoir are internal to the front cover. So the cover could be cracked. There is also an anti drainback valve that I suppose could have some trash between the ball and the seat? Other than that..... Maybe leaking down through the HPOP itself?

Old 01-15-2014, 09:49 AM
Mysterman68
Elder User
Gggood Mmmorning Arkansas !!

Happy Hump Day All !! Dang cool here this morning

Old 01-15-2014, 02:57 PM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Ok, you guys know how much I know(or care)about a diesel. My RV repair guy has a dually with a 7.3 diesel(pre-powerstroke). On a cold start the thing is hard to start and surges really bad at idle. Seems to pick right up and go on when you start to drive. I noticed that once it's fully warm it seems to not idle so badly, but it still surges a little.
He's had it to the dealer up here with no result. Also, it's got a "60 hp" chip in it, but he says that it was doing that before he chipped it, and if he puts the stock program back in it, nothing changes.
Also, he says that changing the oil and adding a bottle of Sea Foam to the crankcase makes it clear up for a while.
Any ideas?

Forgot to mention, got the RV back today. Roof exterior looks better than new, bedroom ceiling looks new...close match to the old ceiling panels, but not really noticeable because he did the whole bedroom area. He even replaced the roof vents and all the vent caps on the roof.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:17 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
Ok, you guys know how much I know(or care)about a diesel. My RV repair guy has a dually with a 7.3 diesel(pre-powerstroke). On a cold start the thing is hard to start and surges really bad at idle. Seems to pick right up and go on when you start to drive. I noticed that once it's fully warm it seems to not idle so badly, but it still surges a little.
Possibly the glow plugs aren't getting hot enough...weak batteries or dieing glow plug controller? I'm thinking it wouldn't be fuel since you say it will pick right up when you push on the skinny pedal. How many miles are on this engine?

Old 01-17-2014, 04:11 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Not sure really. Wind was blowing about 40mph the other day and I wasn't dressed for it. Didn't pay all that much attention.
What was weird to me was when he said an oil change helped the problem temporarily.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:10 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Boy howdy that wind is putting a bite into the chill this morning. But look what the weather guessers are saying about this weekend! Supposed to be another beautiful weekend. I just know Mother Nature is saving one dandy of a crappy weather weekend just for me...just because I don't trust that psychopath.
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
Not sure really. Wind was blowing about 40mph the other day and I wasn't dressed for it. Didn't pay all that much attention.
What was weird to me was when he said an oil change helped the problem temporarily.
Tim or Jeff would more than likely know more about that set-up...but I'm thinking on a pre-HUEI (PowerStroke) engine...adding something to the oil shouldn't make that much of a difference since those engines used a central injection pump and not unit injectors like the 7.3L (PowerStroke) and the 6.0L are equipped with. I'm sure someone in the back corner is saying "stick a Cummins in it".

Old 01-17-2014, 06:44 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
He said pre-powerstroke, but there is no way to chip an IDI, so we need a little more info to even begin to diagnose this one.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:43 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah. Early powerstroke can be chipped, but pre powerstroke is a mechanical engine. No electronic engine controls.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:16 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Not that big a deal. He seems to be willing to live with it after the dealership told him they couldn't find anything. He just did such a good job on my motor home I thought I'd check with you guys since most of you drive diesels.

Oh, and of course the weather this weekend will be OK...I have to put new flooring in the laundry room and hallway.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:16 AM
F250W6.0
Mountain Pass
Well good morning to everyone. The wind blew in the cold and the new FICM helped the "Ole White Ghost' start without any problems!! CAnnot say enuff good things about Ed @ FICM repair, and EVERYONE on this forum. Going to Bull Shoals the end of the month pulling fifth wheel and boat, so I am as anxious as a kid going to Disney World. Looking so forward to getting away and doing some trout fishing...

Old 01-18-2014, 10:03 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
He said pre-powerstroke, but there is no way to chip an IDI, so we need a little more info to even begin to diagnose this one.
I'd be curious...just from a "some to file away" standpoint.
Originally Posted by cookie88
Yeah. Early powerstroke can be chipped, but pre powerstroke is a mechanical engine. No electronic engine controls.
Ok Scott..I'll bite, how do you "chip" a non-electronic engine? I know you can turn the pump up, change the injectors and/or the turbo. But I guess I don't understand how someone would chip one of the older/simpler full mechanical engines.

On a somewhat related note...I took the truck for a bath today. The guys at the car wash don't like diesels powered trucks. Apparently the don't like the smell...where's a cracked injector when you need one.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:11 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by zhilton
I'd be curious...just from a "some to file away" standpoint.Ok Scott..I'll bite, how do you "chip" a non-electronic engine? I know you can turn the pump up, change the injectors and/or the turbo. But I guess I don't understand how someone would chip one of the older/simpler full mechanical engines.
The IDIs are purely mechanical engines, therefore no electronics to "chip" The early Powerstrokes are electronicly controlled, so you can tune them with a chip. I too would like to hear more about this engine as I have previously heard of one that changing the oil would alleviate problems for a short time. Always wondered if it was a weak HPOP that would work better with fresh oil.

Quick Reply: January All Topic/Off Topic Thread