1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

LMC TRUCK replacement Dash Covers, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 12:37 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Just spoke to Ryan at JBG and explained that I'm researching this for several of us on FTE, which they sponsor. He does think the one they sell is from Dashes Direct, or maybe a subsidiary thereof, and they are made in Texas. But he will get some really good pictures and email them to me by the end of the day. And he'll try to get more info on the pad as well as any possible group buy, although he wasn't too promising on the group buy idea. Anyway, he knows it is for FTE and agreed that whatever he sends I can post on here. And he understands our loathing to buy one given their policy on returns, shipping, and restocking fees.

And, by the way, that reminds me that Dave at Just Dashes had committed to send me photos but hasn't. Something just doesn't seem right with that company since the price quoted wasn't for the product I asked about - and he appeared to know it when I called back. And the follow-through hasn't been as agreed. To me that says volumes about a company. Hopefully JBG will come through.

I think I'll call Dashes Direct as well and see what they say, although JBG's price of $335 is far better than DD's price of $450.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:10 PM
FXDawg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
...And, by the way, that reminds me that Dave at Just Dashes had committed to send me photos but hasn't. Something just doesn't seem right with that company since the price quoted wasn't for the product I asked about - and he appeared to know it when I called back. And the follow-through hasn't been as agreed. To me that says volumes about a company. Hopefully JBG will come through.

I think I'll call Dashes Direct as well and see what they say, although JBG's price of $335 is far better than DD's price of $450.
Gary, Great job on the research and thanks so much for sharing it all here!

JustDashes may be just drop shipping them and not have any on hand to take pictures of...

I'm sure they make a bunch more money on the restoration work than they do on the aftermarket ones. I mean, $1000 and how much could really be their materials cost? $100? they can probably turn one around with a days worth of labor. and if they took on a group order they could easily bring down the per unit time. I imagine though they don't want to de-value their product. "you want the best possible dash? this is what it costs!"

I'm actually trying to come to terms with what they charge and bite the bullet on this one... I'll probably never need another one.

However, I keep going back to the repairs that some of the guys posted on here where they fill the speaker hols with spray foam, sand the whole dash smooth and use body filler where needed to prep for paint. I wonder if there is some texturing method that could mimic the stock leather grain...

I guess I could try it and if I hate it, do the expensive route... I guess the same could be said for the aftermarket dash for $335 with a lot less effort on my part.

Decisions, decisions...

Old 01-08-2014, 02:06 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
I could be off base on this and it may have been covered earlier in the thread, but I purchased the dash from LMC and it was a hard plastic dash cover that glued on over the existing dash. It looks OK, but the color is off

Just to confuse the issue..

Old 01-08-2014, 02:13 PM
FXDawg
Senior User
Originally Posted by KsCop
I could be off base on this and it may have been covered earlier in the thread, but I purchased the dash from LMC and it was a hard plastic dash cover that glued on over the existing dash. It looks OK, but the color is off

Just to confuse the issue..
Yea, that is actually a 3rd option.

-There is the $1000ish just Dashes rebuilding of an existing dash,
-A $350ish aftermarket replacement dash from Dashes Direct sold through a few different re-sellers
-and the dashboard cover type that LMC and others sell for about $120ish...

Then there is the Auzzie faction... LOL

I think that is it so far...

Old 01-08-2014, 02:15 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
This started off discussing a cover, but it quickly changed to the pad - the original or replacement piece over which a cover fits. I have a cover and it doesn't cover all of the cracks, which are quite visible in the defroster vents. So we are now discussing where to get pads.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:26 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
A replacement pad would be nice, the ones I've seen have limited color options (white or black) and would need to be painted. The LMC cover I got doesn't look bad, but you can tell it's a cover.

If we can find a good option, I may go ahead and replace the pad

Old 01-08-2014, 03:49 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Just picked up a dash tan pad, no cracks, 1 dime-size hole in speaker, wait for it............$20!!!!!
Will be selling my red one soon.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Dashes Direct

Talked with both Damian and Danny at Dashes Direct. Here are my notes as well as a picture Damian sent. However, that pic isn't much help so I asked him to pull a unit from inventory and take several good pictures, including of the grain and the speaker holes. That was via email so I don't yet know if he will.
  • Danny is the tooling manager, and he's the one that makes it happen
  • They are the only one making dash pads using the original Ford tooling
  • The tooling is like a clam shell, with the base, foam, and vinyl loaded and then brought together to bond and make the unit, so it will be exactly the original size for sure - both the top and bottom sides.
  • The base they use is plastic, not metal like Ford used. That let them reduce the costs, and while it does make the pad flexible before it is mounted, once mounted it will be solid.
  • The foam they use is the same as originally used. And, it has to be the same thickness or the parts wouldn't bond and make a unit.
  • The vinyl is exactly the same vinyl, from the same manufacturer, and grain, Corinthian (he didn't understand when I said "Ricardo Montalban"), that was used originally. However, there were several suppliers to Ford and he has seen a few original pads that had different grain, although Corinthian was the main one. Also, this vinyl does not have any more UV stability than the original did, so it will eventually crack like the original did. But, a protectant can dramatically extend the life of it and preserve the plasticiser that evaporates and makes the vinyl hard and susceptible to breaking or cracking.
  • The speaker holes are exactly the same as from Ford as they are made by the same die as they were originally.
  • In other words, their pads are identical to the original with the exception that they don't have the metal base - and that won't matter once it is in place and screwed down.
  • They don't do group buys. (But, that's not a prob for us as NPD wants $335 and DD wants $450. And, they did confirm that NPD's unit is theirs - as are the ones from any other vendor that says it was built on the original tooling.)

Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2014, 05:09 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Hmmm. I was thinking, When I had my 1948 F-5, I tried ALL available cab corner patch panels. NONE fit.
So I made a set of dies and press them myself, an exact copy of the original. also make the fender patches....
So back to my thinking, Since we all suffer speaker hole-itis is why not make a "patch panel"
Example, cut out a square (or rectangular) hole to remove the original speaker area, insert a new-replacement.
Now, My old graphics professor always stated, "if you cant match the color exactly, make if different on purpose"
Figure a drop in insert, sitting lower (like a new dash's "utility pocket") with a lip about a quarter inch higher so it sits inside. Just like how your kitchen sink sits on the counter.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:59 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Reamer - That approach wouldn't have worked with the dash on Dad's truck, nor Rusty. Both are waaaaay to far gone for that, and probably due to the nice toasty summers we have - I've seen 114°. So I'm going to have to replace the pad or have it recovered.

Speaking of replacing, Danny from Dashes Direct called me back, but had to leave a message as I was on the phone. The message said "I made a mistake and gave you false info, so please call me back." I thought "OH NO! Not again!" But, he said he'd looked at one of the old dash pads they have for reference and was reminded that the core of the factory pad is not metal but an ABS plastic. Sure enough, I turned mine over and it is plastic. He said that their plastic just isn't as stiff as the ABS, but it is plenty strong.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:10 PM
Heesman
Junior User
As previously mentioned I have a Dashes Direct dash sitting in my basement waiting to be installed. If someone wants info I can help.

Eric

Old 01-08-2014, 06:27 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Hi Gary
You are correct, this would not help in a "basket case" situation...but if the only issue is around the speaker this may help, The only issue with the 2 I have involves the speaker. Started a new post looking for a "junk" pad to try my "solution" after I make dies.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Heesman - Thanks for the offer. Could you take some pictures and give us an opinion as to what you think the quality is? I'm not confident that Dashes Direct will actually go to the trouble of pulling one and taking pictures.

Reamer - Let us know how you did it and how it turns out, please. It may be just what someone else is looking for.

Tonto - I'm sorry for hijacking your thread.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:06 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy over DD's "indirectedness" I mean you asked very direct questions and get run-around, just wrong answers.... and really a generic photo showing 3% of the surface area?

Old 01-08-2014, 08:30 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
maybe it's just me, but I can't find a dash pad at NPD. Are you saying NPD sells the DD pad at a better price?

Totally confused at this point..

Quick Reply: LMC TRUCK replacement Dash Covers, thoughts?