1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

LMC TRUCK replacement Dash Covers, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by reamer
I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy over DD's "indirectedness" I mean you asked very direct questions and get run-around, just wrong answers.... and really a generic photo showing 3% of the surface area?
Then I'm not doing a good job of communicating my own thoughts. Or, I'm doing a good job of communicating what they said but not my feelings.

I get really bad vibes from Just Dashes. They told me the absolute wrong price, and that fits with some things I've read on the internet about them. But Dashes Direct called me back to say that they were wrong when they said our original dashes have metal bases - they are plastic. One was wrong on a very, VERY major point and I didn't find out until I called back. The other was wrong on a trivial point that made no difference at all, but called me back to sort it out.

Or, let's look at it another way: The guy at JD wasn't competent to do his job of quoting prices, and the guy at DD is so meticulous that he fretted over a statement that had no bearing. Either way I get much better vibes from DD than JD.

Originally Posted by KsCop
maybe it's just me, but I can't find a dash pad at NPD. Are you saying NPD sells the DD pad at a better price?

Totally confused at this point..
Here it is at JBG. Here it is at NPD.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:54 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Did you look closely... JBG's dash has incorrect speaker hole configuration, NPD's are correct.. Somebody not describing their product correctly...JBG

Old 01-08-2014, 09:02 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, JBG has the better price, but only in black it looks like. I don't think black would dye very well so I either need white (to dye) or will need to change my interior to black.

Hmm.. black WOULD look good on the dark blue truck..

Old 01-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Did you look closely... JBG's dash has incorrect speaker hole configuration, NPD's are correct.. Somebody not describing their product correctly...JBG
My guess is that JBG's picture is incorrect. According to DD, if it is made on Ford tooling it is a DD dash pad, and will have correct speaker holes. I ran into the same thing with Comp Cams - the picture on their website shows the wrong stuff in one of their kits, as confirmed by their employee.

Originally Posted by KsCop
Well, JBG has the better price, but only in black it looks like. I don't think black would dye very well so I either need white (to dye) or will need to change my interior to black.

Hmm.. black WOULD look good on the dark blue truck..
I'm told the SEM paint covers black quite well. Having said that, I would order white if it is available. But black might look very good in a blue truck.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:47 PM
Brad from Oz
Elder User
Hmmm. I was thinking, When I had my 1948 F-5, I tried ALL available cab corner patch panels. NONE fit.
So I made a set of dies and press them myself, an exact copy of the original. also make the fender patches....
So back to my thinking, Since we all suffer speaker hole-itis is why not make a "patch panel"
Example, cut out a square (or rectangular) hole to remove the original speaker area, insert a new-replacement.
Now, My old graphics professor always stated, "if you cant match the color exactly, make if different on purpose"
Figure a drop in insert, sitting lower (like a new dash's "utility pocket") with a lip about a quarter inch higher so it sits inside. Just like how your kitchen sink sits on the counter.
You beat me to it Reamer, my plan is to fit speaker enclosures in each end of the dash and to fit a storage "unit" in the centre using all the space available. I'm checking late model cars and utes for a suitable item. There are open trays, open trays with 12v outlets, and tubs with hatch lids with 12 v outlets inside.

Obviously a unit with a stepped lip would be best, just cut the hole and stick it down.

Good luck at your end.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:56 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
got it.... keep looking for ideas!

Old 01-08-2014, 10:31 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
I already have the SEM in the tan as I planned to refresh my interior. Decisions Decisions..

Old 01-09-2014, 06:29 AM
reamer
Logistics Pro
What is the color code for the tan SEM?

Old 01-09-2014, 10:22 AM
nolan62
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to throw this into the conversation, My dash cover had the usual hole where the speaker is. I just repainted it and added this LMC Dash Protector. I've had it 3 years and it's not faded and looks really nice.

Truck Parts and Truck Accessories

Old 01-09-2014, 10:49 AM
FoundOnRoadDominatin
Senior User
Gary- Thanks for taking all the time to research and call people in getting these things sorted out. Hopefully by the end of this fiasco we will know the decent product for us.

Heesman- did you post pictures of the dash pad somewhere?

Old 01-09-2014, 12:39 PM
Heesman
Junior User
Sorry for the delay in getting pictures. Here you go. The dash seems nice, however, I noticed a tear in one of the corners of the dash. I have a call into NPD about this and hopefully they will resolve the issue.

Box:

Packaged Dash:

It is a bit flimsy but the original dash was a bit flimsy too.

Eric

Old 01-09-2014, 12:57 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Looks like a winner!
May I ask what you actually paid?
Was black the only color, or specified by you?
Thanks
Reamer

Old 01-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Eric - Thanks a bunch! Other than the flexibility, does it look good? Does the grain appear correct and the lines sharp? Otherwise it looks good from what I can see on my cell phone. When I get home and put it on a bigger screen maybe I can see details better.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Heesman
Junior User
NPD has them in black or white - I went with black as I am changing the interior to my truck to black (thread titled "Piney's Rebuild"). Including the freight I paid $453.50.

As my previous post said I noticed a tear/nick in one of the corners of the dash. NPD came through and are picking it up and sending me a new one. Good customer service.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I just talked with Dave at SEM Products and he said 2 or 3 light coats of their paint will hide either the black or the white and give the same color in the end. The coats should be light to make sure they don't run and hide the grain, and wait about 15 minutes between coats to allow them to flash.

Given that I'm thinking I'll go with JBG's black unit, although I'm not quite decided yet. Let's hear some more thoughts on the quality. And I want to look at it on a big screen. Plus, maybe get pics from DD.

Quick Reply: LMC TRUCK replacement Dash Covers, thoughts?