1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

LMC TRUCK replacement Dash Covers, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 05:35 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I don't think it will be that much for "shopping". They aren't heavy and are really all that big. I'm guessing more like $35 each way, but I'll check it out on the UPS site.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:11 PM
Brad from Oz
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
We may have a winner. Talked with Dave at Just Dashes and their dash pad for our trucks is $399 plus shipping - both ways as we have to send them a core. Takes about 8 weeks this time of year and it will come out with all the same tooling and grain as from the factory. But, if you don't like it you have 30 days to return it and get your money back, and 1 year of warranty.

I looked their site over and didn't find a picture of one of our dashes until I saw a pic go past in the rotation. Couldn't figure out how to stop it to study it, but Dave said he may have some pics and will dig them out and send them to me so I can post them. But, if their work on a truck dash is anything like what's shown on their web site the results should be good. And, if you haven't watched the video you might want to do so.
Looks the same as the dashboard doctor here Gary, vacuum forming over the original core. When you see how much hands on labour is involved you can see the value for money. I like the option to include the extra guage bezels

Old 01-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Brad from Oz
Looks the same as the dashboard doctor here Gary, vacuum forming over the original core. When you see how much hands on labour is involved you can see the value for money. I like the option to include the extra guage bezels
Yes, there is a LOT of hands-on with these. But, what do you mean about the gauge bezels?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:42 PM
Peavey1986
Senior User
All I know about lmc is do not buy the pre made exhaust for the bull nose they sell. Complete junk !

Old 01-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Brad from Oz
Elder User
Yes, there is a LOT of hands-on with these. But, what do you mean about the gauge bezels?
They can custom incorporate any number of 2 inch guage pods/bezels into the top edge of your dash, here's the page
Dashes

Complies with the "mod" component of resto-mod

Old 01-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Brad from Oz
They can custom incorporate any number of 2 inch guage pods/bezels into the top edge of your dash, here's the page
Dashes

Complies with the "mod" component of resto-mod
Ahh! I see. Thanks. But that's more "mod" than I want. My plan is to put gauges in the "pocket" to the right of the steering wheel. A pair of 2 1/16" units are a very tight fit in there, and they'll have to be electrical rather than mechanical, but the VDO's I showed you are.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:08 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I wonder what those Just Dashes people could do with door panels.....

Old 01-06-2014, 10:15 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by ctubutis
They say "JUST DASHES is the premier source for the professional and amateur, restoring both vinyl and hard plastic door and kick panels." Sounds like they can do it. I wonder if they just skip the foam step from the process they use on the dash pads.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:57 AM
Brad from Oz
Elder User
Originally Posted by ctubutis

Considering they use the same process as our guys here, a door panel should come out like this
The Dashboard Doctor - Repairing dashboards, door trims, consoles and armrests

And they can do custom stuff like this
The Dashboard Doctor - Repairing dashboards, door trims, consoles and armrests

Old 01-07-2014, 07:43 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Pretty door panel and it worked well for that one with the chrome trim. But panels w/o that trim might not look quite as good since there's some "stitching" detail in that recess and the overlay might not give the same detail. Kinda like a coat of paint sometimes hides detail. But I could easily be wrong - it's early and I haven't used up my large quota of "wrongs" yet today.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:45 AM
FXDawg
Senior User
I don't think it will be that much for "shopping". They aren't heavy and are really all that big. I'm guessing more like $35 each way, but I'll check it out on the UPS site.
HA...did I say shopping...?

I've recently sold some computer parts and I was pretty surprised how much shipping was. Yesterday I shipped a box 16x12x9 that weighed 5 lbs (the box and packing probably added 1lb) cost me almost $18. I sold a computer monitor the box was probably 20x30x7 it weighed about 12lbs if I recall and that cost me like $37.

There was also a guy on a z28 site (I found researching dash restoration) that was complaining about some other company in Oregon. He kept saying he was out an addition amount of $200 for shipping. It would be nice if it was less than that though... I read somewhere that checking local auto-body shops for bumper boxes that might fit our dash pads would be a good idea.

I have to say I was really relieved to see the $400 price. I just wish there was somewhere I could bring it locally...

P.S. It's funny you should point out my typo and then have one of your own in the same message! I did that on another forum! LMAO exactly the same! It cracked me up then too!

Old 01-07-2014, 11:26 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Using the UPS guestimater I get $49.21 to ship a package with a declared value of $50 and with dimensions of 64 x 14 x 6 in. from my local UPS office to Van Nuys, CA. And the return shipping of a $400 package of 66 x 16 x 8 in., which allows for an extra 2" of padding, is $68.62. So I see total shipping of ~$125, rounding upward. But I've been wrong before, although not yet today so I'm due.

As for typos, I believe they are a product of iOS incorrectly interpreting what I'm typing, even though I'm frequently using Win8 or OSX.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:20 PM
FXDawg
Senior User
Using the UPS guestimater I get $49.21 to ship a package with a declared value of $50 and with dimensions of 64 x 14 x 6 in. from my local UPS office to Van Nuys, CA. And the return shipping of a $400 package of 66 x 16 x 8 in., which allows for an extra 2" of padding, is $68.62. So I see total shipping of ~$125, rounding upward. But I've been wrong before, although not yet today so I'm due.

As for typos, I believe they are a product of iOS incorrectly interpreting what I'm typing, even though I'm frequently using Win8 or OSX.
Thats definitely better than $200! Do you think you're going to go for it? I have some time before I make that call myself. But the one in my truck is a real mess!

Old 01-07-2014, 01:48 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I'm going with someone's new pad. The one on Dad's truck is badly gone and a cover doesn't hide the ills. So it is just a question of which one. So far JD looks like the best bet. Lariat says the one he bought was flimsy and didn't have the right grain. But JD puts the cover on your old pad, so it is just as strong, and they assured me it will have the right grain. Sounds like a winner.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:48 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Would there be any interest in a group buy? I don't know if they do it, but I could ask.

Quick Reply: LMC TRUCK replacement Dash Covers, thoughts?