1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

LMC TRUCK replacement Dash Covers, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Yes, as I read JBG's return policy there's a 10% restocking fee, if returned in the first 30 days, plus the shipping.

Here are the specifics from their FAQ's:
Returns & RMA's.

Please inspect all orders for damage and report all discrepancies to us here or by phone(248-437-5060) within 72 hours. All returned items must be sent to our physical address:

Jeff's Bronco Graveyard
7843 Lochlin Dr.
Brighton, MI, 48116

All sales are considered final with the exception of warranty claims and orders shipped in error.

No returns on electrical items.

No returns accepted after 90 days, unless for warranty consideration

All returns are subject to a re-stocking fee according to the following schedule: Within 30 days-10% fee; within 60 days-20% fee; within 90 days-30% fee. Submitting a return for an in-store credit will waive the re-stocking fee.

All returned parts must be in new sale condition as determined by our returns department.

Parts with which installation has been completed or attempted are not eligible for return (see above)

Any part that has been disassembles, drilled, welded, cut, painted or modified in any way is not eligible for return. Incomplete kits are not eligible for return.

All items submitted for return must be in original box or carton.

Any installation, disassembly or modification by a 3rd party on behalf of customer does not constitute an exception to our policy. The purchaser retains full responsibility for the condition for the part.

ALL RETURNS MUST HAVE A RETURN MERCHANDISE AUTHORIZATION NUMBER (RMA). Please call 248-437-5060 to obtain a RMA number. All RMA numbers will be valid for a period of 15 days, within which we must receive your return. RMA numbers will not be extended of re-issued. Please write your RMA number clearly of the outside of the returned package.

All returns must be shipped to us pre-paid and insured. Any return shipped to us COD or freight collect will not be accepted.

Customer assumes all shipping charges on returned items. However, on warranty or defective items, we will ship it back to the original shipping address at no additional expense to you (this does not apply to axle shaft warranties).

Any submitted return requires all original equipment, components, documentation, manuals, cables, packaging etc... to be included with your item in order for us to process your RMA. Missing items will be subject to additional charges applied to the amount of your refund/credit.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:22 PM
FXDawg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1985 Bronco
The site only says no returns on the dash covers, not the dash pads.
hm are they saying you have to pay return shipping to them is you receive a damaged or defective part? If not, is it looking like Dashes Direct Dashes from Jeff's Bonco Graveyard is the ticket? ...as long as it doesn't cost the customer to replace a damaged or defective dash pad...

I'd say a good UV protective paint and regular uv protectant application would have to be the answer. I mean you could replace this dash 3 times for the price of the Just Dashes restoration...

The only unanswered question is about the speaker hole and my guess is that they will not offer it without the speaker holes. I'd really prefer it without though...
I guess if you have to pay $450 for a dash without the speaker hole directly from the manufacturer would it be worth the extra $115?

Last edited by FXDawg; 01-10-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: read Gary's last message
Old 01-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by FXDawg
hm are they saying you have to pay return shipping to them is you receive a damaged or defective part? If not, is it looking like Dashes Direct Dashes from Jeff's Bonco Graveyard is the ticket? ...as long as it doesn't cost the customer to replace a damaged or defective dash pad...

I'd say a good UV protective paint and regular uv protectant application would have to be the answer. I mean you could replace this dash 3 times for the price of the Just Dashes restoration...

The only unanswered question is about the speaker hole and my guess is that they will not offer it without the speaker holes. I'd really prefer it without though...
I guess if you have to pay $450 for a dash without the speaker hole directly from the manufacturer would it be worth the extra $115?
I'm thinking JBG is the place. Just got off the phone with Ryan from there. We had talked on Wednesday and he was to get me pictures but I didn't think he had so used that as an excuse to call. Turns out he had sent them but misheard what I said about my email address (heard M and not N) and sent them into the either. He's resent them and I should have them very soon, although they are taking a looooong time on his end as they are BIG pictures.

Further, he is going to talk to either Pat or Jeff about a group buy. He said that they tried it some time ago on something else but very few joined in so it didn't work well. But he'll check on Monday and get back with me. And, I explained the way Redhead is doing it for the steering boxes in case they might want to do it similarly:
  • They set a date for about 2 weeks in the future and give us 3 days in which to order. That gives us time to round up people to participate.
  • Their discount is based on the # of orders and they tell us the ranges up front.
  • When people call in they fill the orders but don't bill until the end of the third day and then apply the discount.

Also, I asked about returns and damages. He said that he is the one that handles those things, and if a customer calls and says it was damaged in shipment he ships another one out that day and turns a claim in with the carrier. The carrier then has several business days in which to pick it up and return it.

For returns, like if we don't like it, if they are packaged up nicely and in resale form he frequently refunds the money completely or gives store credit. Further, he said we FTE guys have an awesome reputation at JBG so he works with us. But, even with that we do have to pay freight to return it and have to get an RA#.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:15 PM
FXDawg
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I'm thinking JBG is the place. Just got off the phone with Ryan from there. We had talked on Wednesday and he was to get me pictures but I didn't think he had so used that as an excuse to call. Turns out he had sent them but misheard what I said about my email address (heard M and not N) and sent them into the either. He's resent them and I should have them very soon, although they are taking a looooong time on his end as they are BIG pictures.

Further, he is going to talk to either Pat or Jeff about a group buy. He said that they tried it some time ago on something else but very few joined in so it didn't work well. But he'll check on Monday and get back with me. And, I explained the way Redhead is doing it for the steering boxes in case they might want to do it similarly:
  • They set a date for about 2 weeks in the future and give us 3 days in which to order. That gives us time to round up people to participate.
  • Their discount is based on the # of orders and they tell us the ranges up front.
  • When people call in they fill the orders but don't bill until the end of the third day and then apply the discount.

Also, I asked about returns and damages. He said that he is the one that handles those things, and if a customer calls and says it was damaged in shipment he ships another one out that day and turns a claim in with the carrier. The carrier then has several business days in which to pick it up and return it.

For returns, like if we don't like it, if they are packaged up nicely and in resale form he frequently refunds the money completely or gives store credit. Further, he said we FTE guys have an awesome reputation at JBG so he works with us. But, even with that we do have to pay freight to return it and have to get an RA#.
that sounds a lot better. I guess I have to see what the discount is going to be. i won't need mine until the summer and we only get 90 days to return... I'm a little concerned there... I wonder if I order and give a deposit (or even pay in full) if they'd hold off shipping a few months.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Sac79
Senior User
Gary, are there holes in the vents? I can't make them out on the pics, maybe you can with the originals? Otherwise that dash looks good and the price is reasonable. I'm thinking of replacing mine too, just to get rid of the ghetto speaker cover!

Old 01-10-2014, 09:12 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
Looking forward to the group buy information. I may hold off on my interior restoration until I hear about that. Sounds like it could be a good deal!

Old 01-11-2014, 10:10 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Sac79
Gary, are there holes in the vents? I can't make them out on the pics, maybe you can with the originals? Otherwise that dash looks good and the price is reasonable. I'm thinking of replacing mine too, just to get rid of the ghetto speaker cover!
Even in the original pictures I can't see any holes in the defroster vents. While that isn't conclusive I would have thought we could see the white wall behind the cover through the holes if they were there.

Given that, I've added that question to the list I sent to Damian at Dashes Direct. But, I'll ask Ryan at JBG when he calls. And, if I don't hear from anyone I'll call Danny at DD. We'll get some answers.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:39 AM
FXDawg
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Even in the original pictures I can't see any holes in the defroster vents. While that isn't conclusive I would have thought we could see the white wall behind the cover through the holes if they were there.

Given that, I've added that question to the list I sent to Damian at Dashes Direct. But, I'll ask Ryan at JBG when he calls. And, if I don't hear from anyone I'll call Danny at DD. We'll get some answers.
You Da Man, Gary!!

Old 01-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Hardtruckisthebest
Freshman User
If I may, throw an alternative out there. I have restored my dash using fiberglass.

Now granted this is a bit of work, but it was my first ever fiberglass project, and ultimately the result is something I am very happy with. And fiberglass will never crack with age.

http://imageshack.com/a/img850/3954/04yw.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img202/7474/hrzc.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img30/3679/dnjd.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img543/3703/uojd.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img689/9563/zvx4.jpg

I fiberglassed 3 layers overtop of the original dash pad, then using a small amount of body filler I created a smooth finish. After that, I sprayed epoxy primer, resand, then a coat of cheap red oxide primer (to provide a dark base color) and lastly I rolled on some exterior latex paint which you can get mixed to any color your heart desires. I rolled this on with a small 4" foam roller, this seems to leave the best pattern and you can ensure the pattern is uniform throughout all the shapes.

If you are sceptical about exterior latex, my dad painted some PVC sewer pipes he used for roof drain downpipes with this stuff, no primer, and 10 years later the paint is still immaculate.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:35 PM
FXDawg
Senior User
I have to say it looks pretty damn good!

Old 01-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
It sure does look good! It even looks like it has grain. Well done!

But, I don't think I'm up for that. Not only is it surely a lot of work, there's the realization that I've not done it before and the work may be for naught. I think I'll be happy to spend $300ish to get a new one.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Hardtruckisthebest
If I may, throw an alternative out there. I have restored my dash using fiberglass.

Now granted this is a bit of work, but it was my first ever fiberglass project, and ultimately the result is something I am very happy with. And fiberglass will never crack with age.

http://imageshack.com/a/img850/3954/04yw.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img202/7474/hrzc.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img30/3679/dnjd.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img543/3703/uojd.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img689/9563/zvx4.jpg

I fiberglassed 3 layers overtop of the original dash pad, then using a small amount of body filler I created a smooth finish. After that, I sprayed epoxy primer, resand, then a coat of cheap red oxide primer (to provide a dark base color) and lastly I rolled on some exterior latex paint which you can get mixed to any color your heart desires. I rolled this on with a small 4" foam roller, this seems to leave the best pattern and you can ensure the pattern is uniform throughout all the shapes.

If you are sceptical about exterior latex, my dad painted some PVC sewer pipes he used for roof drain downpipes with this stuff, no primer, and 10 years later the paint is still immaculate.
I may do something quite similar. The current pad is beyond hope, and I have found a replacement that isn't cracked much, but the sun has taken it's toll on the material. I suspect it will crumble away if I attempt to clean it well enough to spray color at it.
I've done 'glass work before, and it's not that hard, just a bit messy and smelly.
I really like the "clean" look without the speaker grill.

Fiberglass can crack after a few years of severe sun, but it's pretty easy to repair.......

Old 01-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Brad from Oz
Elder User
Hardtruck, that looks great

Nice job, great thought on texture and finish.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:44 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Just an update. Last night I got a response from The Dashboard Doctor, the outfit in Oz that Brad put us onto. If you remember, their restorations are $495 without speaker holes and $550 with, although that's in Aus $'s, which today is $.91 in US $'s. Doing the maths (as they would say) I get ~ $410/$500. So, I'd gotten back with them to see if they had a magic wand on shipping. There answer was that shipping would be too much.

But, they suggested we contact Just Dashes and Dashboard Restorations. Obviously we've contacted JD, but hadn't contacted DR. So I Googled them. The first concern was that they don't seem to have a web page. But I did find a few guys saying back in '10 they'd used them and the product seemed OK, so I kept poking and found a telephone number, which is "No longer in service." Then I came across this Better Business Bureau report. I'm going to say the case is closed - unless one of y'all want to use them.

Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2014, 12:49 PM
SSellers
Senior User
Just wondering as I can't make it through the entire thread to verify (something shiny keeps drawing my attention away), but have any of you guys that need/want to restore your dash seen the color matched ABS covers in person. As I mentioned the one I saw matched the truck and was not obvious to the casual observer that it was a cover.....and yes, I know if you still own a Bullnose you may be casual in everything BUT as an observer.

Quick Reply: LMC TRUCK replacement Dash Covers, thoughts?