1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

LMC TRUCK replacement Dash Covers, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 02:10 PM
FXDawg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Would there be any interest in a group buy? I don't know if they do it, but I could ask.
I'm in!! I'll jump now if there is a benefit!

Old 01-07-2014, 02:55 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Do they make the speaker holes like the original???? Their web site showed one of ours (I think) But NO speaker holes!
Would be interested in a group buy.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Would there be any interest in a group buy? I don't know if they do it, but I could ask.
Originally Posted by FXDawg
I'm in!! I'll jump now if there is a benefit!

I might be as well.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:32 PM
FXDawg
Senior User
Originally Posted by reamer
Do they make the speaker holes like the original???? Their web site showed one of ours (I think) But NO speaker holes!
Would be interested in a group buy.
The speaker holes are what always deteriorate first. maybe it is better to go without them...?

Old 01-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FXDawg
The speaker holes are what always deteriorate first. maybe it is better to go without them...?

I would probably not want them myself either. I would rather have the speakers in the door and either behind or under the seat instead.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:13 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
BUMMER!

Well, I'm glad I called Just Dashes back. I drew Dave again and when I asked the question about group discounts he went away to talk to the "boss". When he came back he explained that he'd given me some bad information yesterday. (Yes, he knew he had given me bad info, without me saying anything.) Turns out he quoted me pricing on a reproduction item but gave the details on their rebuild of our original core.

So, here's the real situation - assuming he gave me the right info this time:
  • Reproduction: They carry, for $399 + shipping, the reproduction unit made by Dashes Direct, which is the unit also carried by NPD. According to Dave that unit is made on a thinner "metal strip" and is less rigid. However, when mounted, which might take some elbow grease according to him, it will fit well. But, if we are looking for a group discount we should call Dashes Direct as they do sometimes do that.

For reference, here are Lariat 85's comments re that dash pad:
    I purchased this same dash pad from NPD a couple of years ago and it did had "Ford Tooling" logos on it and it, too was made from DashesDirect. I ended up sending it back. Although it looked good at first glance, I wasn't satisfied with it because when I put it up against my original dash, it seemed quite a bit cheaper made.

For one, the vinyl grain is obviously incorrect and didn't match my original at all. There was very little foam under the pad for the speaker grille, even less than what my decaying 30 year old dash pad (with busted speaker grille) still had left. The whole dash pad was thinner and very "bendy," in that if you hold it in the middle the sides would flop down, whereas the original is much more rigid and solid.

I just felt that it wasn't near as good as the original, and with the extremely high price I paid for it, original quality is what I expected to receive. It looked mostly like the original, just not made as good as the original.
  • Rebuild: Unfortunately the Just Dashes rebuild of our core would be $900 with a group discount - they are more than that singly, but he didn't say how much more. This unit is the one shown in the video, and they sand our core down to good foam, add new high density closed-cell foam and then the new vinyl, which is UV stable. When done it is better then new since it has better materials in it.
So, are you as bummed as I am? I thought we'd found "the place" for a new dash pad, but I'm not happy to pay more than twice as much than what I'd been told. Further, it fits with some things I read on the web, which I didn't mention since you can always read something bad about anyone if you look. I'll let you do the looking if you want, but this does fit. I'm sorry if you miserable, but Dad used to say "misery loves company", so I'm glad you are in the same boat I'm in.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:21 PM
Brad from Oz
Elder User
$900+ Holy smokes

Even more shocking, I've just found something automotive related that's cheaper here than in the US makes me very glad the dashboard doctor is only an hours drive from me.

Gary, best you crack a coke ( or something stronger) and kick back for a bit to get over that disappointment

Old 01-07-2014, 06:49 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Brad - Something stronger than crack? What would that be? Or, did my understanding of the Queen's English mistranslate something?

But, you are right. Gotta step back and re-think this. I've done some looking for a way to ship down-under but haven't found it. Do you know? I've sent a note to the Dashboard Doctor to see if they know.

If there was a reasonable way maybe we could do a bulk shipment. But shipping the cores to a central location, boxing them up and sending them to Australia, and then reversing the process would probably bring the whole shipping cost to $300 each, and that's crazy.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:13 PM
FXDawg
Senior User
bummer... how many needs to be sent for the "group discount?" I wonder what the cost for it is without the discount?

So, we're looking at over $1000.00 with shipping...ouch! Yes I'm really bummed. They do have us over a barrel though. $400 for lighter quality questionable fit or $1000 for top quality. Thats quite a premium but who else does it??

Also the bronco graveyard has the aftermarket dash for $335

Old 01-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Brad from Oz
Elder User
Brad - Something stronger than crack? What would that be? Or, did my understanding of the Queen's English mistranslate something?

But, you are right. Gotta step back and re-think this. I've done some looking for a way to ship down-under but haven't found it. Do you know? I've sent a note to the Dashboard Doctor to see if they know.

If there was a reasonable way maybe we could do a bulk shipment. But shipping the cores to a central location, boxing them up and sending them to Australia, and then reversing the process would probably bring the whole shipping cost to $300 each, and that's crazy.
LOL I didnt mean illicit drugs, but if they float your boat then sweet!

Crack a coke - take a beverage can of cola soft drink and activate the pull tab on top to release the sugary goodness within.

Most of the guys here in the Aus chapter use "usatoaus" shipping for parts, they are a freight forwarding company who do FCL's (Full Container Loads) of cars, bikes and parts from the US to Aus. A full pallet is about $380 but that's only port to port, then there's the on forward costs. I don't think they do freight back in the other direction either.
But this is the cheap way to get bulky, heavy freight over here via sea freight, dash pads certainly aren't heavy or particularly bulky so standard parcel freight via air door to door should work out cheaper.
Companies I see regularly here are UPS, FED EX, TOLL IPEC. Etc.
You would just need to have good insurance on it as a light, long box would be easily bent in half by those ever caring delivery staff

Old 01-07-2014, 09:26 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yeah, I understood.

Oddly enough I can't seem to find a way through UPS or FedUp that'll take me to AUS. Haven't tried DHL but also did try the USPS. Nada. So that approach doesn't look promising unless someone points out something I've missed. But, even then I doubt it'll be reasonable.

I've done some more poking around and all I find is Just Dashes and Dashes Direct. Maybe someone else can find someone else? I'd be happy to call them.

Barring that I'm likely to call Dashes Direct and see what kind of price we can get with a group buy. Then, if several of you are interested I'll order mine and see what it looks like - assuming that'll give the rest of you time to order after I get mine. Anyone interested?

Old 01-07-2014, 10:24 PM
1985 Bronco
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would look into bronco graveyard, $335 is a great price. You would need to call them because email responses take up to a week.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:38 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by 1985 Bronco
I would look into bronco graveyard, $335 is a great price. You would need to call them because email responses take up to a week.
Weren't they the ones that basically said there are no returns? I don't see that on their web site, although there is a restocking fee of 10% or more depending on how quickly you get it back.

But, at $335 on what I'd bet is the Dashes Direct unit that may be the way to go since Dashes Direct wants $450.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:37 AM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Bronco Graveyard photo of the dash is not correct for (original tooling)......just look at the Speaker grille..... Wrong for us nit-pickers........

Old 01-08-2014, 09:01 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I think I'll call them and discuss the situation. I know many pictures on web sites are not the item being sold. For instance Comp Cam's picture of the cam kit for a 351M/400 is wrong - the told me so. Anyway, I'll try to ascertain who made the pad and get good pictures, and will be back. And, I'll see about a group buy.

Quick Reply: LMC TRUCK replacement Dash Covers, thoughts?