Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charcoal Canister

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 05:46 AM
boonslick
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charcoal Canister

Hello and good morning.

I have a 87 F150 5.0L E4OD XLT Lariat 2WD Standard Cab.

I recently noticed a hole in the top of the Charcoal Canister which is mounted below the battery with 2 hoses. I can actually see the Charcoal as the hole is approximately 1" square.

Is this the EVAP system and can I just remove it and connect the 2 lines together?

Eventually, I am removing the Air Pump and all of the plumbing but not until I finish my current project.

What effect does this hole have on my engine?

Thank you

Boon

Old 12-09-2013, 09:25 AM
mrrish79
Senior User
Not sure but I can tell you that I had one of the two lines chewed through on my old F150 with the 302 for the 6+ years I owned it and it never had a problem passing inspection.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:56 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
I think that canister just takes care of the fumes comin' outta the gas tank so it doesn't vent into the atmosphere.This is off topic but did you get your permit yet? Got mine.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:59 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,585 Likes on 1,292 Posts
As long as you are clear of inspection, and don't mind your gas evaporating, you can eliminate this. Be sure you vent the system at the rear of the vehicle. Just cutting the lines results in venting in or near the engine compartment. BOOM if conditions are just right. (Hot day with winter fuel will give you the correct conditions for example)

Old 12-09-2013, 04:09 PM
boonslick
Elder User
Charcoal Canister

Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
As long as you are clear of inspection, and don't mind your gas evaporating, you can eliminate this. Be sure you vent the system at the rear of the vehicle. Just cutting the lines results in venting in or near the engine compartment. BOOM if conditions are just right. (Hot day with winter fuel will give you the correct conditions for example)
Hello and good afternoon.

Thanks for your help!

How about connecting the inlet and outlet hoses together and removing the canister?

Thanks!

Boon

Old 12-09-2013, 05:27 PM
boonslick
Elder User
Permit

Originally Posted by toby tough
I think that canister just takes care of the fumes comin' outta the gas tank so it doesn't vent into the atmosphere.This is off topic but did you get your permit yet? Got mine.
Hello and good evening.

I am not sure what you are referring to when you asked about a permit.

If you mean tags for my truck then yes. I am in a small town; 8,200 which does not require emissions testing only a "safety inspection" every 2 years.

Take care.

Boon

Old 12-09-2013, 05:33 PM
boonslick
Elder User
Charcoal Canister

Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Hello and good evening.

It would probably be best, and safe, to go to the boneyard and pull one for a few dollars.

Do you feel that this is affecting my fuel mileage?

Thank you!

Boon

P.S. I think that connecting the 2 hoses together may increase the pressure in the fuel tank.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:21 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
If you eliminate the EVAP system then yes, it will affect fuel mileage.

I don't remember who, but someone on this board told me once that the canister is there to prevent liquid fuel from getting sucked up into the intake through the purge valve. The charcoal inside the canister acts as a collector for fuel mist coming through the vent system. The mist collects on the charcoal and then evaporates and is purged when the valve opens. Eliminating the canister could potentially cause liquid fuel to get sucked into the intake through the purge valve which will off set your fuel ratio and have a further effect on your mileage.

If you really want to get creative, you build your own canister with some PVC pipe and a bag of kingsford.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:32 PM
boonslick
Elder User
Replacing EVAP System.

Originally Posted by DBGrif91
If you eliminate the EVAP system then yes, it will affect fuel mileage.

I don't remember who, but someone on this board told me once that the canister is there to prevent liquid fuel from getting sucked up into the intake through the purge valve. The charcoal inside the canister acts as a collector for fuel mist coming through the vent system. The mist collects on the charcoal and then evaporates and is purged when the valve opens. Eliminating the canister could potentially cause liquid fuel to get sucked into the intake through the purge valve which will off set your fuel ratio and have a further effect on your mileage.

If you really want to get creative, you build your own canister with some PVC pipe and a bag of kingsford.
Hello and good evening.

Perhaps the best way is to go to the boneyard and pull a canister.

This will buy me time as I am currently working on a modification; exhaust, and when I complete it I want to remove the AIR Pump and all of the associated plumbing and tackle the relocation of the fuel tank vents; I have 2 tanks.

Thank you!

Boon

Old 12-12-2013, 03:45 PM
boonslick
Elder User
I found a replacement for the EVAP Canister.

Thank you all for the help!

Boon

Old 12-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Markjr390
Freshman User
Originally Posted by boonslick
Hello and good morning.

I have a 87 F150 5.0L E4OD XLT Lariat 2WD Standard Cab.

I recently noticed a hole in the top of the Charcoal Canister which is mounted below the battery with 2 hoses. I can actually see the Charcoal as the hole is approximately 1" square.

Is this the EVAP system and can I just remove it and connect the 2 lines together?

Eventually, I am removing the Air Pump and all of the plumbing but not until I finish my current project.

What effect does this hole have on my engine?

Thank you

Boon

You are looking at slightly lower MPGS and longer time warmer up in the winter.

Its been my conviction slight lower MPGS longer warm up time and Trouble getting it to pass emissions...

Old 12-13-2013, 11:16 AM
boonslick
Elder User
Hello and good morning Markjr390.

I am installing a new exhaust system from the shorty headers with y-pipe into a Hi-Flow Catalytic Converter without air tubing into a Enco 12" Glass Pack to a Stainless Steel Tip; all 2.5".

I thought that I would gain mpg's without the Air Pump?

Thanks!

Boon

Old 12-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Markjr390
Freshman User
Originally Posted by boonslick
Hello and good morning Markjr390.

I am installing a new exhaust system from the shorty headers with y-pipe into a Hi-Flow Catalytic Converter without air tubing into a Enco 12" Glass Pack to a Stainless Steel Tip; all 2.5".

I thought that I would gain mpg's without the Air Pump?

Thanks!

Boon

You could but would half to tune the computer to eliminate the EGR functions.

I haven't done it myself just theoretical response. You will Gain MPGS from the exhaust but not from the EGR Delete unless the EGR system is malfunctioning in which you wont lose anything. The EGR is in use at idle and at constant cruise speed, two times when the MPGS matter. So its a toss up for me, My EGR system is working vs trying a full delete and having the check engine light be constantly on.