1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Tail light troubleshooting advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 02:05 PM
MCD46
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tail light troubleshooting advice

When I started working on my truck neither of the turn signals or brake lights for the tail lights worked. I have since replaced the brake pressure switch, and a blown fuse in the fuse box. Now I have the passenger side brake light and turn signal working on the tail lights. Drivers side will not come on either occasion. I was thinking maybe a ground issue, but did some quick sanding to try and get a good ground with no luck. I have not check continuity of the wire yet, and am offshore, so I dont have my truck readily available. Was wondering if anyone had ideas for a common cause, or quick fix to this problem? Anyone had the same issue? Thanks, Matthew.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:59 PM
diesel jim
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tail light trouble shooting

I ran into a problem with mine when I was putting it back together and had two problems first I had a bad connection at the firewall plug. Also signal lights would not work right unless all lights are hooked up front and back. Check these and hopfully problem can be fixed.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:38 PM
MCD46
Junior User
I unplugged the firewall connection, had a quick look, then plugged it back in. It seemed to be in alright shape, but cant be certain it was working. I was thinking that since I had one brake and turn light working for the tails, that the problem could be a bad ground on the drivers side. I thought I checked the front turn signals too, but cant be certain. I will have a look at those when I get home. Thanks.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:04 PM
johnmel59
Senior User
Originally Posted by MCD46
I unplugged the firewall connection, had a quick look, then plugged it back in. It seemed to be in alright shape, but cant be certain it was working. I was thinking that since I had one brake and turn light working for the tails, that the problem could be a bad ground on the drivers side. I thought I checked the front turn signals too, but cant be certain. I will have a look at those when I get home. Thanks.

I developed the exact same issue over the weekend -- passenger side rear brake and turn signal worked great but lost the driver's side rear brake and turn signal. I checked the wire continuity from the light assembly all the way up to the firewall plug and all checked out fine. From under the dash, I started at the fire wall plug and worked backwards towards the dash/steering wheel. I have identified a short in a wire between the firewall plug and the steering wheel harness. I have not pinpointed the exact lcoation yet but if I move that section of wiring harness i get the drivers side working again.

Hope that give you some guidance.....

Old 12-12-2013, 03:28 AM
MCD46
Junior User
Thanks for the input. I will check that once I am home. It looks like someone has messed with wires behind the dash, this may be my issue as well.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:58 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
MC Do you have a circuit tester like this one

There are 3 wires coming to the rear from the front. I like to start at the rear verifying power or not, then moving forward. There is a factory connection just off the end of the drivers side frame rail, test it and you will know if you need to go to the front.

Does not effect all trucks but some have to have the ign switch turned to on for the brake lights to work, so have the sw. on.

Brake lights are split because of the turn signals on the same wires. The tails (all) are on the 3rd wire.

guluk

John

Old 12-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Shadowrider123
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check the front turn signal grounds.

Also every time I unplug something I put a dab of dielectric grease on the plug before I reconnect it.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:51 PM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Interesting in that my driver's side has one issue. Always the driver's side.

My tail light works but not the brake light. It is not the bulb. It is not the socket. It is not the harness as it is new all the way to the firewall.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:01 PM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts
That is interesting because, at least on my trucks, the wires come down the drivers side to the back corner then across the back to the passenger side. Seems the problems would be at the end of the line, not somewhere in the middle, unless it affected both sides.

I've had some issues but for me it was always the ground. The housings themselves not being grounded well. I removed the screws that hold the housings in place and wire brushed them and put back together and that seemed to do it. My continuity meter was showing no continuity between housing and bodywork.

The one guy mentioned the harness between firewall and steering wheel. For automatics and 3 on tree at least there should be a sleeve that goes up inside the column from the bottom where the wires come out that is to prevent chaffing of the wires. An insulator. I can take a picture of that later if it is of any interest. Not on 4x4 trucks which used the different steering column, at least.

On this web page it mentions "Don't forget to slide the protective sleeve up your new harness into position behind the column clamp."

http://mongrelmotorsports.purpleflyi...umnSwitch.html