1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT (a little... it's a comparison)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
OT (a little... it's a comparison)

One of my coworkers shared the "secret" that I work on my Ford truck, and another coworker chirped up "My husband is having a problem with the V10 popping a spark plug." I do a little homework on this, write ford-trucks.com on a piece of paper to hand to her, then dash for the door: While we carry a CPS and a 10mm socket in the glove box, some V10 owners carry a tap and inserts for the spark plug and coil. Yeesh!

Another coworker asked a F150 question (I actually knew the answer on that one because they have a very similar 4X4 system), but one glance at their forum left me wondering where all those crickets came from.

OK V10 owners... not that I'd ever own one, I am curious how the support for the V10 fares vs. what you see on this forum. Please guys... please.... I'm not looking at gas vs. diesel, V8 vs. V10, economy wars, or any other form of hosing the place down with testosterone. I'm curious how the support for the V10 compares. We have Clay, Bob, FTE 7.3L forum, DP, Cody, and a host of unmentioned websites, members, and vendors. I know Stinky would have been gone early in the game were it not for the support here or through here. Is it the same for the V10? Is my coworker's husband going to be poised to pounce... or provoked to Powerstroke?

Old 12-06-2013, 03:16 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The v-10's have an extremely loyal and knowledgeable following.

And they should, they're a good engine, the early spark plug issues not withstanding.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:30 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Why was this posted in the 7.3 section, off topic as usual, and not the super duty section?

Old 12-06-2013, 06:38 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I specifically keep that knowledge well guarded at work. I dont want to be liable for "fixing" something.

Thats not to say I havent fixed units in the field that broke down due to something simple.

In fact, without being clever, you'd never be able to connect my work and personal lives online. I use a different first name at work to keep things seperate. My industry is very strict about public perception so I decided to make it hard to connect work with my personal life. But I also keep my social media pretty clean too.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by acf6
Why was this posted in the 7.3 section, off topic as usual, and not the super duty section?
Many of us here are familiar with this "room" and the intensity of the support available, and some are familiar with both mentioned above. Sticking with engines alone, my question is how the V10 support compares so I have a frame of reference. I didn't want to go on the V10 forum or Superduty forum (with many 5.4Ls there) and ask how it compares with the 7.3L forum... that would be a bit awkward with me being a "visitor" for the most part. This is my hangout... I don't frequent the other rooms.

This is also an opportunity to count our blessings for the support from this site... no matter what badge is on the side.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Mowing Man
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find it ironic that the guy crying 'foul' only has a 6.0 in his sig. That's slightly off topic too. Just sayin...

Old 12-06-2013, 07:25 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Oh no, a 6.0...7.3s worst enemy.

There are other sections on this forum for a reason, seems like everytime i open the 7.3 page all i see is "OT..." with something that barely relates it to a 7.3

Old 12-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Since my default has always been freedom before restriction. Unless there is an absolutely overriding, actual and demonstrative need for regulation, I don't see this thread as off topic at all.

(Uhh, except for my post here. Which is really, I guess, off topic re the thread question...)

Old 12-06-2013, 08:12 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Why open a clearly OT thread to complain about it being off topic? If you don't want to read an off topic thread, it is a pretty simple thing to avoid really...

Old 12-06-2013, 08:18 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

There are other sections on this forum for a reason, seems like everytime i open the 7.3 page all i see is "OT..." with something that barely relates it to a 7.3
6.0s sure make 7.3 owners butthurt for some reason...

Sent from my mind thanks to the Internet and an app.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:28 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by HKusp
Why open a clearly OT thread to complain about it being off topic? If you don't want to read an off topic thread, it is a pretty simple thing to avoid really...
Because it finally bothered me enough to say something after seeing so many. Sorry.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:41 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 220 Likes on 150 Posts
And just when I was thinking about starting my first OT thread about the just debuted 2015 Mustang

Old 12-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
I didn't want to go on the V10 forum or Superduty forum (with many 5.4Ls there) and ask how it compares with the 7.3L forum... that would be a bit awkward with me being a "visitor" for the most part. This is my hangout... I don't frequent the other rooms.
Awkward or not, you don't have to be a "regular" on any specific FTE forum in order to post up a question there.

Spread your wings, get to know others outside the 7.3L forum. There are a lot of great guys out there who don't have a 7.3L PSD!

Originally Posted by Mowing Man
I find it ironic that the guy crying 'foul' only has a 6.0 in his sig. That's slightly off topic too. Just sayin...
Miles didn't cry foul, he asked a VERY logical question that is directly associated with this thread, based on where it's been posted.

It's been worse, and it's getting better. Ya gotta understand Miles, the 7.3L PSD forum is a lot (and I mean, A LOT) like the "What did you do to your Excursion" thread in the Ex forum.

Familiarity breeds comfort and relaxation, and the desire to share thoughts.

The mod team is addressing the OT threads. Quite a few have been moved (as this one will too) and I'm sure others will pop up that will be allowed to stay, or be moved, too.

It's a bit subjective, but we're trying to keep a rein on it.

Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
Since my default has always been freedom before restriction. Unless there is an absolutely overriding, actual and demonstrative need for regulation, I don't see this thread as off topic at all.
It is.

We (the mod team) really are trying to be very lax about the OT threads, but there still has to be some "take" along with the "give" that we allow.

As Clux posted, "The v-10's have an extremely loyal and knowledgeable following."

And the guys there are damn good too.

Sorry guys, this thread is being shipped off to the Super Duty forum.

Tug, don't be afraid of the guys outside the 7.3L forum. We got us a good bunch here at FTE.

Well, except for MisterCMK....Chris wears those weird sunglasses.....

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 12-08-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:31 PM
jerem0621
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
To address the OP's question (which I would not have seen if not moved to the super duty forum, I don't do 7.3, 6.0, 6.4, or 6.7 PSD's, no offense, they do not interest me... at all...that really goes for all oil burners)

The V10 forum and the SuperDuty forum are full of knowledgeable people. These gas motors last forever (300-500k with routine maint is normal). Make a ton of power for what they are. Start all the time. Don't need EGT, PYRO, Studs, intercooler, aftercooler, bubble gum, and good luck to stay reliable... they just are straight reliable out of the box.

V10, have some minor issues, especially when you compare the issues to diesels. Even the spark plug spitting issue is relatively minor in the grand scheme of things, few hundred bucks IF it happens.

We tend to be a loyal group to our motors.. and why shouldn't we be. They do nothing but be reliable if they are taken care of.

I really don't think that your friend will want for help on this forum with the V10.

Thanks!

Old 12-07-2013, 12:25 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I read alot of great things about the v10 and I would own one if I didn't already have 2 trucks with FE390's in them getting 8-10 mpg.

Quick Reply: OT (a little... it's a comparison)