Kentucky Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: SideWinder4.9l

December 2013 BS Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 11:34 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
Wes, a lot of truth to what you said. In my opinion, the OBS was the last years for real good looking Ford trucks. They have been going down hill with regards to looks ever since in my opinion. Having said that, there is something to be said about the newer trucks. They are a lot quieter, nicer creature comforts, (yesterday I really wish my 02 had heated mirrors) better ride, etc. A lot of stuff I would not have considered in a truck. But the older I get, the more I like those options. I'm amazed at how quiet my 08 is!
For the cost of a new truck, you could simply order the kit for heated mirrors and save yourself a.payment book.

You had reason to buy the 08; Work.

It is quiet, comfy and runs very well...All factors reducing driver fatigue, which is a big issue when driving 300+ miles per day.

But for me, I can do without heated mirrors (Heated seats would.be nice and might be an upgrade I get into at some point, because a $200 kit is cheaper than a $500/month payment) and as far as sound, yes I will agree my old truck is loud and gets obnoxious...

But $200 in Dynomat and a new OEM style muffler is going to fix that and I'm not.on the book for.a payment.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:41 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

I'm reminded of a post made some time ago in a car thread buy a guy that has a 63 Vette. He said it is the most fun ride you can have for 20 minutes. But it is the worst ride you could have for an hour. The older we get, the more some things matter, and the less other things matter.
You're right....In 5 yrs of driving vehicles, air conditioning has steadily rose as a "have to have" option.

Technically, my truck started life as a no options work truck. No power anything, no tilt wheel and no ac.

It had the ac installed at the dealer, and now:

Power Lumbar Seat (Came out of the same truck as the Underhood Light)
Tilt Wheel (Came out of my old 1991 Crown Victoria)
Map Pockets (Came out of a 1990 F-150)
Underhood Light (Came off an XLT truck circa 1993)
Upgraded Dome Light (Came out of a 1996 F-250)
Power Rear View Mirror with Map Lights (Came out of a Lincoln Town Car)

Still need power windows and mirrors, but otherwise, as Ken said...Only thing it doesn't have is a butt scratcher.

Noise aside, I am completely fine with my 213,000 mile old truck. Obviously...I've had it since January 2011, so going on 4 yrs of owning it.

In that time I have made it MINE. I can get in my dads 1992 F-150 (Same exact truck) and it feels...Alien, to me.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:28 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Dynamat is great stuff! Made a huge difference in my 02, and I may do it in the 08. The doors are actually where much of the noise comes from.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:46 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Id love to get my truck done in it...lol

Old 12-08-2013, 12:51 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
Id love to get my truck done in it...lol
My wife's subaru forrester (2012) is much louder than the 2007 she had. And it all comes from the doors. I think she may have the doors done just because it is annoying!

Old 12-08-2013, 01:15 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

My wife's subaru forrester (2012) is much louder than the 2007 she had. And it all comes from the doors. I think she may have the doors done just because it is annoying!
If I could get my doors and the floorpans done, my truck would be considerably quieter.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:36 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
I actually paid a guy to do my 02. As much as that stuff costs, he did it for me for just a little more than what I would have paid for the dynamat. He told me to start with the doors, and if more needs to be done, we'd do the floor pan and firewall. The doors made a huge difference. The floor pan and firewall made some difference, but the doors was much more noticeable.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:02 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Well, that was a miserable weekend, weather-wise, but we still had some fun.

We had a program kick-off that only had about a dozen show up. It should have been thirty or forty.

We had a great awards banquet with over a hundred and fifty. We even had a group of over fifty staying in our large cabin. Not bad.

The Jeep Liberty heard me talking about trading it off, so it's power steering pump conked out. I think I might shy away from the F250. I found a tape line on some trim, so it's had some body work. They did a great job on it, so that really didn't bother me as much as the turbo-diesel.

The same lot has an 04 F150 XLT 4x4 with the 5.4 Triton. It looks like it's in pretty good shape, although it does have 108,000 miles.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:52 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
Well, that was a miserable weekend, weather-wise, but we still had some fun.

We had a program kick-off that only had about a dozen show up. It should have been thirty or forty.

We had a great awards banquet with over a hundred and fifty. We even had a group of over fifty staying in our large cabin. Not bad.

The Jeep Liberty heard me talking about trading it off, so it's power steering pump conked out. I think I might shy away from the F250. I found a tape line on some trim, so it's had some body work. They did a great job on it, so that really didn't bother me as much as the turbo-diesel.

The same lot has an 04 F150 XLT 4x4 with the 5.4 Triton. It looks like it's in pretty good shape, although it does have 108,000 miles.
Not to rain on that parade also, but 1.) The Triton 5.4l is not much better than a 4.6l, and twice as bad mpg wise.

2.) The Triton 5.4l engine specifically has left a bad taste in the mouths of owners since its debut, in the form of the #5 sparkplug letting go ad rocketing straight up. Ford's "fix" is a $35 Helicoil kit and then you are charged $475 for the repair.

#3) Same engine has a similar sparkplug related issue, in that the plugs tend to.get rust frozen in place and then break off in 2 pcs on the way out, even at the 75,000 mile range. The extraction process is both a major pain in the *** and extensive.

If you go for the 2004, ask if it comes with a nice jug of Astroglide complementary, because I'm not saying EVERY 5.4l Triton is a problem engine, but how lucky do you feel on the gamble?

Just trying to help..

Old 12-09-2013, 05:40 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Are you guys trying to talk me out of buying a Ford? Is that it?

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 12-09-2013, 06:50 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Absolutely not!!! If Buck were still coming around, he'd try talking you into putting an IDI in your Jeep!!! With a Banks turbo and 5 speed!

Old 12-09-2013, 09:58 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
Are you guys trying to talk me out of buying a Ford? Is that it?

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Absolutely not!!! If Buck were still coming around, he'd try talking you into putting an IDI in your Jeep!!! With a Banks turbo and 5 speed!
As john said, absolutely not.... You simply mentioned 2 engines with known failures.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:06 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
As john said, absolutely not.... You simply mentioned 2 engines with known failures.
I could list known failures for most any engine. I don't know about the 4.9 Six, but the 2.3 turbo would toast the cam if you ran Valvoline oil, the 289 and early 302 would crack the piston skirts and you could hear a "slap" as they ran. The 351C was bad to sludge up and the lifters fail to receive full oil pressure. It made the valve train loud, especially at a cold start.

Even the 239 Flathead was prone to cracks in the block around some of the head bolts. Even without the cracks the head bolts would sometimes leak coolant. That's why you have to use thread sealant when you put one together.

I don't remember which V6 my brother had in his Explorer, but the heads were prone to crack. He changed heads about as often as he changed plugs.

I do know what you're saying though. You're saying that in the gamble of used cars the odds would be on the house for those two engines. And I appreciate it.

The hunt continues......

Edit: I would pay good money to see a spark plug launch across a parking lot. That would be awesome.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:28 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

It's so quiet in here. Has everyone already left for the holidays?

Old 12-14-2013, 08:36 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
I'm still around. Had a very busy couple of days. Are you still looking at that F250? Or are you looking at some other trucks?
Looks like the snow we were suppose to get last night and this morning is coming down as rain!

Quick Reply: December 2013 BS Thread