1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dad's Mirror, Mirror

Old 11-22-2013, 04:05 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Dad's Mirror, Mirror

Ok, let's see how this works. It has been suggested by more than one that I keep everything regarding Dad's truck in that thread. But, I fear that some are put off by the length and never-endingness of that thread so have dropped out. If that's true I won't get much input on questions or options that I have, which means that maybe I should start parallel threads to ask those questions or get input on the options. So, I'm going to try that as I have a couple of questions on which I'd like lots of input.

Some of you may not be aware that I ordered new mirrors for the truck as the original ones had some problems and this is a restification after all. The original mirrors were the small trailer mirrors, meaning that they swivel out like the larger mirrors but have a slightly smaller V-bracket and have two bolts per mount. The ones I bought have the larger V-brackets and have larger mounts which take three bolts each, but that was not going to be a problem as I was going to center the larger mounts up on the old holes and drill new ones, with the mounts covering the old holes.

However, today I happened to glance at the instructions that came with the mirrors, which was a NIB Ford kit. The instructions say to put two screws through the front two holes of the upper mount and screw them into the existing holes of the standard mirror mounts, and use that as a template to mark the third hole. Hmmm. Sure enough the hole spacing is perfect on the new mounts for two of the holes in the upper bracket to line up with the existing holes.

That will work, but the lower mount would no longer cover the existing lower holes so the body man will have to weld at least one hole up. However, the concern I have is that this will move the mirrors back 1 7/8" from the standard position. And, I think they are already too far back as it is difficult to get my head turned that far and get my glasses into play. But, as it turns out the mirrors can be moved forward the same distance as they can be moved aft.

So, I have two questions for y'all:
  1. Could someone that has the 3-bolt trailer mirrors measure from the front edge of the door along the body crease to the mount? I'd like to know where Ford actually mounted them. Here's what mine measures:
    • Rear position: 13 1/2"
    • Middle: 11 5/8"
    • Front: 9 3/4"
  2. Where should I install the mirrors: Rearward, stock, or forward position? What are your thoughts?

Here are some pictures to help you understand:

Here's the mirror in the rearward position, as Ford would have installed it - according to the kit's instructions:

Here it is in the middle position, which would be the stock position for the standard mirrors, although they may truly have installed them as the instructions said in the rear position.

And, here's the mirror in the front positon:

Old 11-22-2013, 05:10 PM
whisler
Laughing Gas
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
On my '84 I measure 13 3/4 inches to the middle of the front mounting screw. So it looks like I have the rearward mounting that you referred to.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by whisler
On my '84 I measure 13 3/4 inches to the middle of the front mounting screw. So it looks like I have the rearward mounting that you referred to.
I'm actually measuring to the front edge of the top mount at the body crease. I get 1/2" from the edge to the center of the screw, so we are close.

Which mirrors do you have? The three-screw ones with swiveling arms?

Old 11-22-2013, 06:40 PM
whisler
Laughing Gas
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
My mirrors only have two screws in top and bottom and don't have what looks like the extra short arm in your pictures. I assume this is the "swivel" mechanism. If it helps any, I measure 16.5 inches from the front door edge to the center of the arm mount point where the arm pivots.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:53 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The more forward position sounds better to me. If I was coming out this weekend I could hold the door up with you in the new seats on the rotisserie to let you see what suits you better.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Whisler - Sounds like the standard mirrors. I'll have to measure mine tomorrow. Thanks.

Brandon - I had a thought after leaving the shop today that's better than holding the mirrors. I'll pull the mirrors off of Rusty and hang the new ones in the three different positions. However, I may have to way a bit as I went out late this afternoon to check on V-belt layout (more on that later) and there was a coating of ice on him. Don't think I'll be pulling the mirrors for a few days given what I've seen of the upcoming weather.

Anyway, while I won't be able to drive with the new mirrors mounted I can certainly figure out the sight lines and determine if it'll work. But, what I won't know is how noisy it'll be since moving the mirrors forward ~2" from where they are today may put them in the air stream.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,658 Likes on 1,341 Posts
If you read through all of this
http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstr...16C?sequence=1

They say that the mirror should be mounted at a position 45 degrees from straight ahead and from your normal seating position.

And by the way, I am one of those who do seem to abandon long long threads.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Franklin2
If you read through all of this
http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstr...16C?sequence=1

They say that the mirror should be mounted at a position 45 degrees from straight ahead and from your normal seating position.

And by the way, I am one of those who do seem to abandon long long threads.
Ouch! That's 25 pages long! You expect me to follow something that long?

But, that info is exactly what I was looking for, and my suspicions are that the stock position is too far rearward, although I will find out - soon. Thanks!

So, that's a vote for having parallel threads like this one rather than keeping everything in one? As I think about it, my question to the readers of Dad's Truck Build thread about starting other threads was fatally flawed - those who had already abandoned it didn't see the vote.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:26 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
...those who had already abandoned it didn't see the vote.
You had a poll?

Old 11-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by ctubutis
You had a poll?
Technically not a poll since I didn't use the fancy poll thingee. I just asked the question of the readers of Dad's Truck Thread whether or not I should start small threads, like this one, for specific items. I had one response on the thread, and one via PM. Both said to continue the epic thread, but the PM'er went further saying I should start sub-threads.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
You had a poll?
Kinda my thoughts too......

With super long, drawn out threads, I miss a lot of stuff. It takes a while to read all the new replies (especially when there are 2-5 pages worth of new replies), and when I am short on time, I am forced to skip it completely, or just skim thru it. Either can cause me to miss something that I may be able to give feedback on.

I don't "abandon" long threads, but I frequently miss quite a bit of stuff in them. Particularly one as active as Gary's "Dad's truck" is...........

Old 11-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
OOOPS! Almost forgot to *actually* add input to the question at hand.....

Mounting the mirrors too far forward can get them into the more turbulent airflow, adding to the "quivering" issue. You also have to watch out for blocking the view by getting the window channel in the way.
I once had a truck that someone added these style mirrors onto, and they mounted them a bit too low, and too far forward. The pass mirror was partially blocked by the window channel, and top of the door. Honestly, the original tiny mirrors would have given almost as much area as these did, due to their lousy mounting location.

Also, mounting them too far back will have you constantly telling whoever is on the pass side to "Get out of my mirror" when trying to change lanes or back up or any other activity that has you *attempting* to look into that mirror.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
RW - You have a very good point about not being able to keep up with all that is going on with Dad's truck when it is all in one thread, especially with the topic jumping across several topics in a few hours. I think the approach of using short threads on specific topics will be better, but I will take the results back to the Father Thread, as opposed to Mother Road.

On the mirrors, it actually did warm up enough today to go out and fit the new mirrors to Rusty. I have lots of pics in my album on this topic, but will post a few so you can see the difference.

First, here's one of Rusty's standard mirror:

And here's the new mirror mounted in the "forward" position:

This is a view of the sight lines, with the rear piece of tape representing the center of the standard mirror, which is 54 degrees from straight ahead. The new position is numerically only a bit better at 51 degrees, but it is significantly better in the struggle to get my head turned far enough to get the glasses in play.

Here's the mirror in the forward position on the passenger's side:

And this is the sight line to the right-side mirror in the forward position. As on the driver's side, there is a noticeable improvement in how far you have to turn your head. And, the divider in the window doesn't really block the view of the window - for me. But, if the seat were pulled forward it would to some extent in the position it is in. However, with the swing arms the mirror can be moved to the rear if need be. Also, the vent windows open fully on both sides with these mirrors, which is something I'd forgotten about Dad's mirrors - they blocked the vent windows.

So, I'm sold. Unless y'all come up with a problem I'm going to contact my body man and make sure that filling the hole on the bottom mount won't be a problem.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,658 Likes on 1,341 Posts
I would have figured the pass side mirror would have been one of those convex things that says "Objects may appear closer than they actually are" or whatever they say. In that link I posted, they say over in Europe they use those type mirrors on both sides and sometimes in the rearview mirror also. While it distorts the image making objects appear at a different distance, the amount you view is greatly increased.

If nothing else, you can stick some of those little dome blind spot mirrors on both sides. Those things are mandatory on all my cars and trucks, and even my wife comments on how they help her see beside the car in traffic.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
The rent car we had last summer in Europe had the convex mirror on the passenger's side, but not the driver's side nor the rear view mirror.

As for the blind spot mirrors, Dad's truck had them when I got it, and they'd been on so long I don't know if he did it or if the original owner did. But part of the reason for that may have been how far inboard the mirrors were as that really made it hard to see things in them - at least for me. Anyway, I can certainly put some on if it appears they are needed.

Bottom line then, you don't see a reason not to mount them in the forward position?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dad's Mirror, Mirror