1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

oil drain plug gasket

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 07:58 AM
brkellogg
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil drain plug gasket

Does anybody know a part number and where I can get an oil pan drain plug gasket? My 8BA V8 has a truck oil pan. The overhaul engine gasket kits come with a smaller diameter gasket for a car drain plug. I ordered a truck gasket from MACs and it was that same small diameter as a car drain.

Thanks, Bill

Old 11-22-2013, 08:18 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Buy gasket stock. Make one.
The kids at our local Auto Zone didn't even realize that they had several rolls of various types of gasket stock on their top shelf. So, you may need to poke around. It's just good stuff to keep on hand.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:23 AM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
question for "hovarths" (sorry couldn't find a name). how do you cut out the gaskets? do you have some kind of punch , drill out center? i have that same issue, have tried several plumbing gaskets without much success. dick r.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:45 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by brkellogg
Does anybody know a part number and where I can get an oil pan drain plug gasket? My 8BA V8 has a truck oil pan. The overhaul engine gasket kits come with a smaller diameter gasket for a car drain plug. I ordered a truck gasket from MACs and it was that same small diameter as a car drain.

Thanks, Bill
You obviously got the wrong one. The proper gasket is 86H 6734 for the 7/8" plug. It should be a copper gasket. If you ordered the '53 plug combo, it's a 3/4" and won't fit. If you got a nylon gasket, it is for later model overhead engines.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:24 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Smile

Originally Posted by r_reed
question for "hovarths" (sorry couldn't find a name). how do you cut out the gaskets? do you have some kind of punch , drill out center? i have that same issue, have tried several plumbing gaskets without much success. dick r.
At the risk of hijacking a perfectly good thread:
Gasket Making 101 | Hemmings Motor News

I have many punches and knives also. I'm a tool junkie. A tap-tap-tap with a hammer works wonders too. You tap at the edge of the place that needs to be gasketed. The hammer and part's edge will cut the gasket just as clean as can be. On threaded holes, light taps may be used to simply cause marks that may then be cut or punched. I also use rules, a compass, and shears. Get 'er done.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
My oil plug seal is getting real long in the tooth, and has needed replaced for a long time. At last check, Mac's and the other major vendors did not have the 7/8" seal in stock, and did not know when they would get them in.

These older seals are nothing more than almost pure copper round bar stock that has been drilled for plug clearance. The use of copper for these plugs was two-fold: the seals were self-conforming when tightened, and thus seldom leaked, and they lasted a long time. You could squish them quite flat over a long period of use before they failed to seal. Too, although nylon had been invented, it was not yet in widespread use.

My suggestion is to obtain some copper bar, and make your own. I have thought about that myself, and will probably do so.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:13 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Gertie-The '49 F2
My oil plug seal is getting real long in the tooth, and has needed replaced for a long time. At last check, Mac's and the other major vendors did not have the 7/8" seal in stock, and did not know when they would get them in.

These older seals are nothing more than almost pure copper round bar stock that has been drilled for plug clearance. The use of copper for these plugs was two-fold: the seals were self-conforming when tightened, and thus seldom leaked, and they lasted a long time. You could squish them quite flat over a long period of use before they failed to seal. Too, although nylon had been invented, it was not yet in widespread use.

My suggestion is to obtain some copper bar, and make your own. I have thought about that myself, and will probably do so.
I saw it listed in Mac's catalog, but when I looked on line they said that it is no longer available and they have now removed the part number from the catalog.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:20 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

OK folks here it is, not sure it will work, but it looks like the same thing. Copper Gasket (Crush Washer), ID 7/8", OD 1-1/8" (AN900-14) (5 per pack) - MS35769-18 - Aircraft Specialties Services

Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2013, 03:04 PM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
thanks, joe. once i get a look under mine to see if the fiber one i have in there is leaking, i'm guessing i'll be ordering a pack of copper ones. i'm willing to try it, dick r.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:01 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by r_reed
thanks, joe. once i get a look under mine to see if the fiber one i have in there is leaking, i'm guessing i'll be ordering a pack of copper ones. i'm willing to try it, dick r.
Seems this item is available at many aircraft parts suppliers.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Seems this item is available at many aircraft parts suppliers.
Yes, I see Aircraft Spruce here in Corona, CA has the 7/8" ID washers for $.58 each.

AN900 COPPER GASKETS(CRUSH WASHERS) from Aircraft Spruce

Old 11-23-2013, 01:45 AM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks heaps Joe, saves me from having to turn out a pile in my lathe (my machinist side says: Drat!).

Ordered 3 packs of five, so I will not have to worry about a seal for a long time, or at least till I misplace them like I have lost my spare generators, carbs, manifolds, gaskets, starters, etc. Tried to lose my spare flat V8, but it was too big to lose for long... found it awhile back.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:03 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Gertie-The '49 F2
Thanks heaps Joe, saves me from having to turn out a pile in my lathe (my machinist side says: Drat!).

Ordered 3 packs of five, so I will not have to worry about a seal for a long time, or at least till I misplace them like I have lost my spare generators, carbs, manifolds, gaskets, starters, etc. Tried to lose my spare flat V8, but it was too big to lose for long... found it awhile back.
Was it in the back buried under a pile of copper washers?