Defrost snow ingestion and Dust ingestion through heater

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 10:06 PM
ol-blu
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Defrost snow ingestion and Dust ingestion through heater

2014 F150 14000km..

All highway driving and have a SEVERE issue when it comes to dust ingestion into the cab. I MEAN EVERYTHING has a huge amount of dust on it even my whole venting system is caked with it... Anyone else have weird issues with dust accumulating through the ventilation system??

Also, noticed in the last few weeks, that SNOW has made its way into the ventilation system and when i turn the truck on in the am, and turn the heater to defrost, SNOW blankets my dash.!!!

I know that defrost is supplied by outside air and on normal operation (without usung air recirculation mode) but all this dust on all highway driving and snow on the dash seems excessive...

Is anyone else having concerns??? My brother has the identical rig ( Just eco boost and white) and he drives 50% gravel and has no issues with dust or snow ingestion???

Old 11-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hummm.... Something sounds wrong. Take it in, and report back what was wrong.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:58 AM
meborder
Received 369 Likes on 264 Posts
never had snow, but i now there were a few trucks in our fleet that had problems with the AC evaporator cores getting plugged up with dust. no lack of dust on construction sites.

these trucks had to have the dash torn down and evaporator cores cleaned, to the tune of about $1300 each.

our fleet managers have advised us to use the AC in recirculation mode when working in dusty areas.

not much help to you, probably, but yes, the HVAC can ingest dust and cause problems.

i'd get yours checked out, though.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:43 AM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
These trucks have no cabin air filter, at least not the XLT that I drive. I've never had problems like that even though I work in a dagum dust bowl. Maybe just the heater setting? I'll have to try, never really use the heater where I live…snow? What's that? Lol

Old 01-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Jason Hallett
New User
I have a 2013 F150 FX4 with Ecoboost and I have snow coming in also... I just started it up with the remote starter and the defrost comes on full... I got in after 10 minutes, there was 1/2 inch of light snow all over it... I put the wipers on and I seemed to get snowed on for a minute or so. Nicely dusted the dash, etc. Now that I look closer too, the dash seems to be pretty dusty. Not sure what the issue is.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:05 PM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Regarding snow ...

Brush the snow from the hood and cowl grille before starting.

*And Ya! I know ... Defeats the purpose of having a remote start. Other option is to garage the F-150 -OR- cover the cowl grille.

------------------------------

-click- the pic'
Goth 150
< This space intentionally -blank- >

Old 01-27-2014, 10:04 AM
hammer65
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2012 xl does the same thing. Lot's of dust, and I do not get off the highway.
I don't know what has happened over the years, but I used to travel construction jobs, and coal strip jobs, but the dust problem wasn't bad. Never had a cabin filter either.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:34 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had snow and ice coming out all the vents today. Worse yet, the moisture caused ice to cover the inside of the front windshield and it did not melt even after 30 minutes of driving. I could only see out because I was wiping the ice off with my hand. The defrost in my truck is the worst I've ever experienced -- bar none -- but this takes it to a whole new level of crummy.

Changing temperature **** triggered the release of ice and snow. I could get only lukewarm air so I turned the **** to cold just in case something was stuck and that is when the first wave of ice crystals came into the cab. Turned the **** to hot and another wave of ice crystals. This repeated as many times as I turned the **** for 20 minutes and that's when I got to my destination. The whole front of cab was sprinkled with water and ice chunks were on the carpet. Everything worked fine after the truck sat in the sun all day. Max temp during the day was about 5F.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:29 PM
ol-blu
Senior User
Just another update, neither the dealership or my Ford service Rep is returning my Phone calls anymore...

As well as my heater system has froze up for the Fifth time, no heat at all in my truck, especially since i have a 1 month old newborn now that relies on the truck to perform as it should to keep her little body nice and toasty...

Im running out of garages to borrow every time that the heater system freezes up on me...

It shouldn't be a prerequisite that you have to own a garage to own a Ford Truck IMO...

Old 02-13-2014, 12:14 PM
FordServiceCA
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by ol-blu
As well as my heater system has froze up for the Fifth time, no heat at all in my truck, especially since i have a 1 month old newborn now that relies on the truck to perform as it should to keep her little body nice and toasty...

Hi ol-blu,

I understand how this could be frustrating and would like to look into it! Please send me more details including the current odometer. I will research the available resources.

Kwasi

Old 02-13-2014, 03:37 PM
ol-blu
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordServiceCA
Hi ol-blu,

I understand how this could be frustrating and would like to look into it! Please send me more details including the current odometer. I will research the available resources.

Kwasi
Kwasi my odometer has not changed much since we last spoke as it is just not safe for me to transport my wife and newborn child anymore. Driving myself to work my odometer is at 17559km

Thanks Kwasi.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:21 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
I had snow coming through vents again this morning. Front windshield iced over on the inside so it was difficult to drive as I had to keep wiping peep holes through the ice. Dealer has the truck now.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:50 PM
petbills
New User
Please let us know what they find out about your truck because like you mine heater system has froze twice now. Took it to the dealer first time it froze and they thought I was crazy and didn't know how to operate the heater controls the service tec tried to get it blowing heat with no luck until it thawed sitting in shop about 15 min. I get lots of snow on dash and even snow in cab going down the hiway . I have a 2013 f150 super cab with 13000kms on it .

Old 02-17-2014, 05:24 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
We've had more snow so dealer left the truck outside hoping to replicate the problem. Unfortunately no problem exhibited today. They snuck a borescope through the HVAC and didn't see any accumulation of water or ice. They are changing out the actuator for the blend door for good measure, and also because I know one of the actuators sticks occasionally. They're also going to pull the cowl cover and make sure the intake screen is installed correctly. Expecting more snow tonight so they'll drive it in the morning to see if it will misbehave.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:47 PM
ol-blu
Senior User
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
We've had more snow so dealer left the truck outside hoping to replicate the problem. Unfortunately no problem exhibited today. They snuck a borescope through the HVAC and didn't see any accumulation of water or ice. They are changing out the actuator for the blend door for good measure, and also because I know one of the actuators sticks occasionally. They're also going to pull the cowl cover and make sure the intake screen is installed correctly. Expecting more snow tonight so they'll drive it in the morning to see if it will misbehave.

Thank you for the update QwkTrip!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Defrost snow ingestion and Dust ingestion through heater