Defrost snow ingestion and Dust ingestion through heater

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 04:45 PM
FordServiceCA
Official Ford Rep
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by petbills
heater system has froze twice now. Took it to the dealer first time it froze and didn't know how to operate the heater controls the service tec tried to get it blowing heat with no luck . I get lots of snow on dash and even snow in cab going down the hiway . I have a 2013 f150 super cab with 13000kms on it .

Hi petbills,

I would like to assist! Please PM me your VIN, full name, telephone number, and dealer info; I will loop in your regional customer service manager.

Kwasi

Old 02-18-2014, 04:59 PM
FordServiceCA
Official Ford Rep
Wink

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
I had snow coming through vents again this morning. Front windshield iced over on the inside so it was difficult to drive as I had to keep wiping peep holes through the ice. Dealer has the truck now.
Hi QwkTrip,

What is the current status of your vehicle? Please share more details including model, year, and odometer reading; I will research the available resources.

Kwasi

Old 02-18-2014, 06:18 PM
ol-blu
Senior User
Hopefully all the other faithful owners that are having issues add to the ammunition that something may be wrong with the systems involved.

Cheers!!!

Old 02-18-2014, 07:23 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FordServiceCA
What is the current status of your vehicle? Please share more details including model, year, and odometer reading; I will research the available resources.
Thanks for the offer but I live in the US, not Canada. My dealer is doing a good job.

Originally Posted by ol-blu
Hopefully all the other faithful owners that are having issues add to the ammunition that something may be wrong with the systems involved.
I have my truck back today. They pulled the cowl off a new truck and compared to mine and the screen was positioned properly. I'm not expecting more issues this winter due to a weather change this week. Probably have to watch this again next year.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:56 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
There was just a dusting of snow this morning yet snow still came into the cab. Efforts weren't to any benefit yet.

I'll tell you what, I will not tolerate snow blowing all over me and ice on inside of window to the point I cannot drive. And it is a given that there will be dirt all over me this coming summer, and then mold in the ductwork after that.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:30 AM
Mustang_02
New User
I had this problem this morning. Defroster blew ice/snow all over the dash and then it wouldn't blow anything after a few minutes. Defuser made a horrible noise and airflow was cut off. Could only get air to move with AC on max with recirculate on.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:33 AM
hammer65
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It happened to me this A.M, also. (5 " snow) Cleaned the cowl opening as best I could, and when I started it up, snow went everywhere.
I guess the only cure is to start the truck, run it 30 minutes to get it up to operating temperature, then turn on the heater.
It takes mine quite a while to get to operating temp from 16 deg's

Old 03-03-2014, 05:05 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Glad to see other people posting about this. This is not just an inconvenience, this is a safety issue. Here is the view on my way to work this morning. Truck is at the dealer again. I shut off the HVAC and drove without heat for 15 minutes trying to preserve the condition for the dealer to witness. The windows (front and both sides) were so iced up that I missed the entrance to the dealership because I couldn't see it. Windows were frozen over on inside but unfortunately the vents wouldn't blow snow when I got to the dealer. Service manager tossed a couple handfuls of snow on the cowl and a few flakes made it inside. I live too far away to get to the dealer in time so they can see the "big show" when snow blows into the cab.

Picture 1: Traveling down the highway and suddenly snow blows in and moisture freezes over the inside of the window. At highway speeds, and within a few seconds, I go to near zero visibility. This is a picture after I tried to wipe the glass with my hand so I could see. There is a car directly in front of me, one to the left in front of my bumper, and another beside me. Can you see any of them? Side windows are just as bad so it blocks view of the side mirrors. It's better to take the risk and just go straight ahead in your lane then try to make a blind lane change in an attempt to get off the road. Much better today then a few weeks ago when everything was in a blanket of white and I had no dark roads to provide some definition.

Picture 2: Passenger side not any better. If it were then it wouldn't benefit me anyway. Defrost is blowing hot but useless against the moisture freezing on the cold window. It will be a good 20 minutes before the window clears up.

Picture 3: Gauge panel fogging up. This was just a little blast of snow through the vents today but still enough to settle on the steering column. I've had a lot more snow on other occasions.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:06 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
I filed a complaint related to poor visibility at Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
Encourage you guys to do the same. The record has to be built if we expect the issue to get attention and be addressed.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:38 PM
meborder
Received 370 Likes on 265 Posts
can you get a video on start-up to bolster your case with your dealer?

Old 03-03-2014, 06:42 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
no snow here but definitely lots of dust when using defrost

Old 03-03-2014, 07:12 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by meborder
can you get a video on start-up to bolster your case with your dealer?
My dealer believes me, that's not a problem. They have my truck so they can recreate the issue. Dealer is calling on Ford to help bring a solution to the table since it is likely a design issue.

Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
no snow here but definitely lots of dust when using defrost
That dust will be a breeding ground for mold spores when the AC introduces moisture in the system.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:43 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so I guess I need to not use the defrost at all .....don't really need it here but would be a problem if I was in a different climate.....I`m already smelling recall no way this is an isolated issue

Last edited by CuNmUdF250; 03-03-2014 at 07:45 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-03-2014, 08:04 PM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
For the love of god people .....
Just brush the snow off the hood and cowl area before turning-on the defrost and taking off!!!!!

OR ... Park the vehicle in a garage.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:21 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Problem and solution can't be boiled down to that level of simplicity. Snow on top of cowl certainly exacerbates the problem but isn't the root cause. Right now I am intentionally leaving snow on the cowl to help aid the dealer to troubleshoot the problem. This winter is nearing an end and I need to do whatever I can to get this thing solved before my truck goes out of warranty.

You're doing nothing better than the rest of us that keeps you from having this problem. Just count your blessings and be glad you don't have to deal with it.

Quick Reply: Defrost snow ingestion and Dust ingestion through heater