Sponsored by: Moser

Defrost snow ingestion and Dust ingestion through heater

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 08:00 AM
KRZFord
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ol-blu
I also have submitted a claim and have also been given a case # and CSM. BUT after a short few weeks they closed my case and left me with nothing to work with. No call backs, no replies to emails nothing.

Hopefully I can get something sorted out.

Keep in touch with your findings if you don't mind.

And of hand, the website you used to submit your claim was?
Hi, First I feel your pain. My dealership has been very good dealing with this as long as I stayed on top of things. The TSB I referred to earlier in the post was completed yesterday. In my specific case they replaced the HVAC module Part # EL3Z-19980-H, as per TSB instructions. It's a very easy replacement process.

I asked them to clarify how this TSB addressed the concern of snow ingestion. They said they would try and get a clearer understanding from Ford. This is the direct response from Ford Engineering:

“Comment From: Ford Comment Date: 4/29/2014 1:40:27 PM
Hello,

The TSB states ice accumulation due to the collection of snow entering the HVAC case turning to ice freezing the HVAC components. The new HVAC module will default the mode door to recirc mode when the key is turned to off position to prevent snow from entering the HVAC case. The previous HVAC module defaulted the mode door to fresh air mode allowing snow to enter the HVAC when the key is turned to the off position. The new module will prevent this concern from occurring."

So even though the TSB doesn't specifically talk about snow ingestion that in fact is the root cause. Bring up this TSB # with your ford dealership and see what the response is. I'm sure if they contact Ford directly you'd hope they are given the go ahead to replace it and if the above info is correct the problem should be corrected.

Please let me know what happens. Feel free to message me back as well. And the bottom line is we won't know with absolute certainty until next winter.

As a result I'm not continuing with the CAMVAP claim at this time.

Good luck!!

Old 01-03-2015, 11:08 PM
Wpg
New User
Just had mine fill up with snow and freeze up the "Blend door".

It was blowing nothing but outside air at -25c on any setting. After running the truck with the fan turned off and a heat gun blowing down into the cowl grille for about 30 minutes it thawed out.

This shouldn't have happened, and I'm now looking into a way to add a cabin filter so it doesn't happen again.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:37 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Got my truck back after 2 weeks in the shop. Has a new blower case and all the HVAC actuators have been replaced for good measure. Winter is over for the most part so not expecting to be able to validate the fix any time soon. Have to wait for fluffy snow next year, i suppose.
Wait is over and we're back into winter again. Had dry fluffy snow this morning and experienced the same problem with snow blowing in through vents after getting up to speed on the highway. Front window iced up and I was peaking through a small hole. Even gave it a good effort by brushing snow off the cowl and hood before driving.

This is decision point, gentleman.
  • Put up with the worst HVAC system (summer and winter) I have ever experienced.
  • Sell and get something other than an F150.
  • Make a homemade cab air filter.
I'm not interested to lose a ton of money switching trucks right now. Might try an air filter like what gDMJoe suggested, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14131102

Another factor is I waited 3 years for my damn stock tires to wear enough so I could justify buying some cool tires. And I've waited 3 years for my warranty to expire so I could finally use an engine tuner. If I sold now it feels like I am denied my fun! LOL

Old 01-09-2015, 04:24 PM
KRZFord
New User
Originally Posted by Wpg
Just had mine fill up with snow and freeze up the "Blend door".

It was blowing nothing but outside air at -25c on any setting. After running the truck with the fan turned off and a heat gun blowing down into the cowl grille for about 30 minutes it thawed out.

This shouldn't have happened, and I'm now looking into a way to add a cabin filter so it doesn't happen again.
Mine is still doing it after having the HVAC module changed in the spring. Blend doors freezing up and popping into position after they warm up, snowing in cab (covers dash not just a few crystals) when cold, dry snow falls, and my Ford dealership says this is normal. Have an appointment to trade-in on something else..Biggest waste of $48,000.00 ever! Good luck with the filter idea but it's said that it would come to that.