1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Biggest pet peeve, members request

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 11:40 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Biggest pet peeve, members request

I was recently contacted by a member here wanting a wing/vent window setup.
This was the last request I tried to help. This is my response after receiving a P.M. saying never mind.
You bring up one of my biggest pet peeves about members on forums. Not just you but others on all forums.
Everyone wants a part or two, I get emails and phone calls requesting these parts, I go out and find them only to be told we don't need it, for one reason or another.
Big items I flat out say no to anymore, due to shipping costs. Small items I get, usually turns out the person requesting it doesn't have the money or they found the part close by.
This always happens after I have searched and found the part, I pay for it out of my own pocket, never to get reimbursed for it.
I will not, from this point on, get parts upon request. My garage and game room are filled with parts most from requests from people on all the forums I frequent.
A complete wing window and channel cost me $32.00 plus time and gas.
This part will now sit in the piles until I either sell it or throw all this stuff out.
Very frustrating.

In the beginning I was stuck with core supports (Actual shipping costs were to high so requester backed out) I had at least 10 at one time. Sold six scrapped the rest. These were 65 -66 f100 supports. Inner fenders three different sets, again shipping was to high requester backed out. all these were scrapped.
I know all the parts I currently have will sell but for now these parts are piled up in spaces I need.
So for those wanting parts, check the classified section, If I'm not selling anything there then I'm not selling at all.
To those of you who do sell parts, you know how this feels.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:53 AM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sure anyone that has sold multiple parts on forums has come across this exact scenario whether it be requests for parts so you go get what they want then they back out or can't agree on price even holding an item until they get the funds I've been on the ****ty end of the stick multiple times it frustrates me but at least I sold everything in the end not to original person interested though I see where your coming from so I don't blame you one bit for not taking any more requests rooms becoming parts rooms something I know all to well about

Old 11-04-2013, 06:16 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My pet peeve is people who don't use even rudimentary punctuation on message boards.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:48 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I totally agree with you Robert. I sell 48-52 parts from my stash I have collected over the years.....
Most people are great, but I think many think I am like Amazon, they want same day free shipping.
Shipping costs are insane and packing materials add up quick as well. I generally won't pull or pack a part till it's paid for.........

Old 11-04-2013, 08:52 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tinman52
I totally agree with you Robert. I sell 48-52 parts from my stash I have collected over the years.....
Most people are great, but I think many think I am like Amazon, they want same day free shipping.
Shipping costs are insane and packing materials add up quick as well. I generally won't pull or pack a part till it's paid for.........
Just storing the paking materials takes up a large area in my shop

Old 11-04-2013, 04:36 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by tinman52
So true, if people checked on price for shipping, they might think twice before asking for a part. I ship boxes which meet UPS guidelines of 130" from So.Cal, to New York, S.C. and Florida at a cost of $105.00 - $130.00 I charge the customer $85.00 and they still want it cheaper.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:50 AM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by gangstakr
So true, if people checked on price for shipping, they might think twice before asking for a part. I ship boxes which meet UPS guidelines of 130" from So.Cal, to New York, S.C. and Florida at a cost of $105.00 - $130.00 I charge the customer $85.00 and they still want it cheaper.

Interesting. A few years ago I shipped a tailgate from here to the Dakotas and the cost was pretty much $1/lb. The gate 66 lbs. and UPS was $67 for ground.

Anyway I am with you. Requester has to pay a least cost for shipping otherwise do their own search.

When I took home a nice hood some years ago I was contacted, through here, about buying it somewhat locally. However, when the price was heard they decided it was not in their budget. That cost was about $75 for a near pristine, one small ding, hood.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:50 PM
juang316
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tbm3fan
Interesting. A few years ago I shipped a tailgate from here to the Dakotas and the cost was pretty much $1/lb. The gate 66 lbs. and UPS was $67 for ground.

Anyway I am with you. Requester has to pay a least cost for shipping otherwise do their own search.

When I took home a nice hood some years ago I was contacted, through here, about buying it somewhat locally. However, when the price was heard they decided it was not in their budget. That cost was about $75 for a near pristine, one small ding, hood.
Damn I would have bought that my hood has a baseball size hole of rust

Old 11-06-2013, 07:12 PM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ddavidv
My pet peeve is people who don't use even rudimentary punctuation on message boards.
Well, It all depends on your comprehension of the new abbreviated language of textual. u r rt, my friend.

Garbz

Old 11-08-2013, 11:45 AM
C G B
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry to hear that Robert.

The problem is you have guys like me that have the money and understand it is not cheap to ship anything, anywhere, now not having one other potential source of parts. Hell, my project is on temporary hiatus for the last 8 months because I just dont have the time right now and the money is earmarked for more pressing expenses.

I need a rad core support? Got one? With free shipping?

Just kidding

Old 11-08-2013, 08:07 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by C G B
Sorry to hear that Robert.

The problem is you have guys like me that have the money and understand it is not cheap to ship anything, anywhere, now not having one other potential source of parts. Hell, my project is on temporary hiatus for the last 8 months because I just dont have the time right now and the money is earmarked for more pressing expenses.

I need a rad core support? Got one? With free shipping?

Just kidding
I might be able to get my hands on a 65 f100 Rad support. And for you "Free Shipping" But the cost of the support should remedy that.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:29 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
How do you ship a core support? Bus or freight ?

Old 11-08-2013, 10:40 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by schoo
How do you ship a core support? Bus or freight ?
P.M. sent.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:29 PM
jacks61ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am totally satisfied with the price and parts you sold me thAnx again !!!!

Old 11-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Have seen this kind of thing in other hobbies, and bet it's true for ones I haven't experienced. The internet and web sites have made communication better than ever and so quick. But, sometimes we forget that time is money, and that yanking people around who are generous enough to find some obscure part or manual, special tools, materials, or parts diagram, box it up and send it off - don't know what the answer is, some people seem to have a hobby of just being plain difficult.