Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Suspicions Seconded - Don't get 6.7L oil for a 7.3L

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 07:04 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Suspicions Seconded - Don't get 6.7L oil for a 7.3L

The latest oil spec is API CJ-4... it's on every bottle of every shelf in the diesel oil section of my local auto parts store. During my reading, I kept running into references of older oils being bad for DPF and catalytic converters. I started to raise the question - "Is modern oil good for classic engines like ours?" One might say they're not classic engines - "that's my baby". Our babies are in puberty, and they don't need baby food.

I found this [LINK] and this [LINK], but I won't force you to read them.

What they both say is zinc and phosphorus are good for our engines, but bad for DPF. Only one link mentions calcium in the oil. Going overboard and targeting those ingredients can make the oil less of a lube and more of an engine detergent.

There is still one thing that spooks me, though: The latest oil is targeted for the latest technology - and we don't have that. I have been using Mobile1 Synthetic in all my vehicles (diesel for the 7.3L, gasser type for the cars), but I have not yet seen hard data that explains to me why it would be considered a superior product. I just keep hearing it's the good stuff, without anything to back it up. I found some of the information.

<table width="343"><tbody><tr xmlns=""><td align="" class="bodyText" valign="">SAE Grade</td><td align="" class="bodyText" valign="">5W-40</td></tr><tr xmlns=""><td align="" class="bodyText" valign="">Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)</td><td align="" class="bodyText" valign=""></td></tr><tr xmlns=""><td align="" class="bodyText" valign=""> @ 100ºC</td><td align="" class="bodyText" valign="">14.5</td></tr><tr xmlns=""><td align="" class="bodyText" valign=""> @ 40ºC</td><td align="" class="bodyText" valign="">97.9</td></tr><tr xmlns=""><td align="" class="bodyText" valign="">Viscosity Index</td><td align="" class="bodyText" valign="">153</td></tr><tr xmlns=""><td align="" class="bodyText" valign="">Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874)</td><td align="" class="bodyText" valign="">0.95</td></tr><tr xmlns=""><td align="" class="bodyText" valign="">Phosporous (ASTM D4951)</td><td align="" class="bodyText" valign="">0.11 (1100 PPM)

</td></tr><tr xmlns=""><td align="" class="bodyText" valign="">Total Base #, mg KOH/g (ASTM D2896)</td><td align="" class="bodyText" valign="">10.7</td></tr><tr xmlns=""><td align="" class="bodyText" valign="">HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683)</td><td align="" class="bodyText" valign="">3.8</td></tr><tr xmlns=""><td align="" class="bodyText" valign="">Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92)</td><td align="" class="bodyText" valign="">215</td></tr><tr xmlns=""><td align="" class="bodyText" valign="">Density @15.6 ºC g/ml (ASTM D4052)</td><td align="" class="bodyText" valign="">0.85

</td></tr></tbody></table>

According to Mobil's self-aggrandizing proclamations, their oil is good for EGR trucks (read - 6.0L). While we don't have a 6.0, older trucks do get a degree of blowby, and oil formulated for EGR will assist with blowby gasses.

I also found the oil for the DPF trucks (not ours) [LINK].

While I appreciate all the testimonials for oils, todays oils haven't been around as long as our engines. The shop guys all say T6 (it's a good price and a good oil), and the scientists say Mobil 1 (about 20 bucks more per oil change). I say I can't find much difference between the two - so it really comes down to shear resistance... our HEUI engines rip the oil. Can we find any data on that?

Old 11-01-2013, 07:31 AM
t.scottNDU
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tugly- so you're saying T6 and Mobil 1 Synthetic are the best choices for our engines?
Or is that your suspicion, and you're looking for information to back that up?

I would LOVE to see a study aimed at out engines. After reading the link you posted in the recent oil thread, I was left wondering exactly what you are: if our oils aren't good for newer engines, are newer oils bad for ours as well?

Old 11-01-2013, 07:43 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by t.scottNDU
Tugly- so you're saying T6 and Mobil 1 Synthetic are the best choices for our engines?
Or is that your suspicion, and you're looking for information to back that up?
I'm not saying either is the best, I'm saying fleet mechanics feel the Shell Rotella has served them well, and Mobile 1 is highly regarded by the tech-heads. I am sure there are better oils, but I'm trying to balance cost with performance... so T6 and M1 are two heavyweights (pardon the pun) in this ring. If somebody has a good oil in the price range of $20-$25 per gallon, throw it in the ring, but please back it up with some data. Testimonials are good, but they can be subjective if you haven't torn down an engine to back up superficial observations.

If we find an oil with uber shear resistance, that alters the price limitation.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:46 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The "new" (or current) oils are designed to meet and/or exceed the old specs that existed when our 7.3L's were still in production, as well as meet and/or exceed the new specs of the current emissions controlled diesels. The latest oils aren't just targeted for current technology, but rather they are also targeted to be compatible with the older motors too.

In other words, just because you are using a newer spec oil, doesn't mean your are losing out or sacrificing something.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:00 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Rotella! 15w40.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:16 AM
trk98
Senior User
The 6.0 and 6.4 iirc run much higher hpo pressures than our trucks, wouldn't they require more shear resistance than the oil in our trucks? If so are current oil formulations taking that into consideration or have they gone more by the way of emissions? Are any diesels heui anymore?

Old 11-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Don't mean to go off topic here but what the hell is iirc? I never got the memo on that one !!

Smokie

Old 11-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

Stewart

Old 11-01-2013, 11:57 AM
garydmundy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have used Amsoil products for a long time. This is the oil I use and the specs. They don't mean anything to me, maybe someone could explain them (Tugley?).

TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES
AMSOIL Synthetic SAE 15W-40 Heavy-Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil (AME)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 14.2
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 93.2
Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270) 157
CCS Viscosity @ -20°C, cP (ASTM D-5293) 4386
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-97) -42 (-44)
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92) 238 (460)
Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92) 256 (493)
Four Ball Wear Test (ASTM D-4172: 40kg, 75°C, 1200 rpm, 1 hour), Scar, mm 0.35
Noack Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D-5800) 6.0
High Temperature/High Shear Viscosity
(ASTM D5481 @ 150°C, 1.0 X 106 s.-1, cP 4.3
Total Base Number 12.1

Old 11-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Man I still ain't learned all the computer gorgon yet! Thanks Stewart !

Smokie

Old 11-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokiesman
Man I still ain't learned all the computer gorgon yet! Thanks Stewart !

Smokie
You're welcome.

Just for FYI sakes, Medusa was a Gorgon in Greek mythology. The word you're looking for is "jargon"

Stewart

Old 11-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
You're welcome.

Just for FYI sakes, Medusa was a Gorgon in Greek mythology. The word you're looking for is "jargon"

Stewart

Did not look right to me either ! Spell checker was not reading my mind !Thanks again! I am dumb enough already ! hate it when I do that!!!

Smokie

Old 11-01-2013, 07:22 PM
t.scottNDU
Senior User
Originally Posted by trk98
The 6.0 and 6.4 iirc run much higher hpo pressures than our trucks, wouldn't they require more shear resistance than the oil in our trucks? If so are current oil formulations taking that into consideration or have they gone more by the way of emissions? Are any diesels heui anymore?
Hopefully I'm not making an **** of myself here, but isn't the 6.4 common rail?
Shear resistance is the name of the game here, correct? I'd be interested to see HPO pressure differences between the 6.0 and 7.3. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

I believe HEUI is still widely used. International, Caterpillar, and Detroit Diesel all have one or several engines using HEUI in their fleets. The ones I'm not sure about are Cummins, Volvo, Deutz and other more obscure engine makers.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:52 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
If you really, really want to know about oil, go here - Bob is the Oil Guy

You can spend as much time as you like reading and even more time joining and participating in the forums there.

If you have an oil question you think no one can answer, that's the place to go.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:04 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Here are quotes from the American Petroleum Institute, which is the body responsible for the "CJ4" type ratings.

Originally Posted by 2. Do engine manufacturers recommend use of API CJ-4 oils to protect 2007
emission-controlled engines?
Yes, API CJ-4 oils, used in engines running on ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD) fuel, are critical for the durability and performance of 2007 and newer engines that utilize advanced emission control technologies. These oils have been subject to the most severe qualification testing requirements of any API engine lubricant category. API CJ-4 oils are designed to meet the expectations of the engine manufacturer and the customer in terms of both engine performance and maintenance intervals.
Originally Posted by 6. Do API CJ-4 oils protect older engines as well as API CI-4 or API CI-4 PLUS oils?
Yes, API CJ-4 oils are designed for use in new engines as well as the existing on-highway fleets. API CJ-4 oils are qualified utilizing several new engine tests that are more severe than those used for API CI-4 or API CI-4 PLUS oils thus defining a new category of oils with much more robust performance than previous categories. API CJ-4 oils are formulated for improved wear protection, deposit and oil consumption control, soot-related viscosity control, prevention of viscosity loss from shearing, used oil low-temperature pumpability, and protection from thermal and oxidative breakdown when compared to previous API performance categories. As always, users should seek guidance from their engine or vehicle manufacturer regarding specific service recommendations.
Originally Posted by 7. Do API CJ-4 oils protect older engines if they are operated on 500 ppm maximum sulfur fuel?[/quote
Yes, API CJ-4 oils are designed to have performance benefits over API CI-4 and API CI-4 PLUS oils when using both 15 ppm and 500 ppm sulfur fuel, and qualification testing is conducted using both fuels. As a reminder, 2007 on-highway engines with advanced emissions systems must use ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel containing 15-ppm sulfur or less. In cases where older engines/vehicles are operated with 500 ppm sulfur fuel, API CJ-4 is designed to protect the engine better than API CI-4 and API CI-4 PLUS. As always, users should seek guidance from their engine or vehicle manufacturer regarding specific service recommendations.
Its also worth noting that, CJ4 is not the only current API diesel rating. CI4 and CH4 are still being licensed by API.

Tugly, I dont really know what you are asking because your lavish writing style dances around the real question.

Are you asking if CJ4 removes additives that our engine needs?
The answer to that is yes and no. Every brand is different. And some vary A LOT.
I will say that there has been extensive UOA and VOA testing done (even by consumers) and all evidence points to new CJ4 oils being more than adequate. If they werent, you would have heard of it by now.

Quick Reply: Suspicions Seconded - Don't get 6.7L oil for a 7.3L