6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Looking for Clear Answer On Doorman Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 02:55 PM
tr0y
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok guys now again we are getting back into my friends, 3rd cousins, sisters 2nd husband, who walked by the diesel performance shop, on his way the the 7-11 territory... And there are tons of "so I have heard" stories ...

We are trying to get a hard and fast, personal experience.. I can guarantee you that the stock part is no great feat of engineering, this is by personal experience and part failure. BTW I am an engineer ...

So how many of you personally have touched a FAILED Doorman oil cooler ?

Cheers

T

Old 10-31-2013, 03:33 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tr0y
Ok guys now again we are getting back into my friends, 3rd cousins, sisters 2nd husband, who walked by the diesel performance shop, on his way the the 7-11 territory... And there are tons of "so I have heard" stories ...

We are trying to get a hard and fast, personal experience.. I can guarantee you that the stock part is no great feat of engineering, this is by personal experience and part failure. BTW I am an engineer ...

So how many of you personally have touched a FAILED Doorman oil cooler ?

Cheers

T
Even if you found, lets say 5 people here who have replaced a Dorman oil cooler that failed, you still won't have a common failure point. How do you know a proper flush was performed prior to replacement? Too many variables. Even 1 person saying they used a Dorman and went 100,000 miles doesn't mean that it is a good product all of the time. Just my opinion.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:35 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,520 Likes on 1,752 Posts
As an engineer wouldn't you also want multiple success stories that document its capability of longevity? A few cases of 100k + mile reliability may not say much statistically, but the lack of them would.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:42 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
Not everyone posts on the internet either. And the majority that may be using Dorman oil and EGR coolers likely are contributing to any Internet forums either.

Josh

Old 10-31-2013, 05:57 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
You missed the point. He is asking for data on failures, so why not ask for data on successes. Without data, it is all guesswork. Without complete data, it might be worse than guesswork. 99Expy said it well - when/if the data identifies failures, it can be attributed to many things other than the unit itself (I doubt that anyone out there is doing controlled experimentation on Dorman oil coolers). When/if the data identifies successes, it is far more likely to be useful information (fluke successes are less common than fluke failures). That is the only point. Not debating the potential lack of "user posts" ................................ I do wonder whether or not there will be any benefit to a thread that might get one or two FIRST HAND posts either way, but it will be better than nothing - have to start somewhere.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:04 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
I found this if it helps...

Dorman are junk period changed out 3 this year. temps run a little hotter 1 was leaking oil into coolant could of been the tard that installed it. and the green gaskets that come with it suck I don't think are compatible with oil swollen and the found tons of green gasket material in hpop screen

Dorman Oil cooler compared to ford - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

And this...

Dorman Oil Cooler - PowerStrokeArmy

Not much else to look at regarding those coolers... Google doesn't return much info on them other than lots of sellers!

Old 10-31-2013, 06:50 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
You missed the point. He is asking for data on failures, so why not ask for data on successes. Without data, it is all guesswork. Without complete data, it might be worse than guesswork. 99Expy said it well - when/if the data identifies failures, it can be attributed to many things other than the unit itself (I doubt that anyone out there is doing controlled experimentation on Dorman oil coolers). When/if the data identifies successes, it is far more likely to be useful information (fluke successes are less common than fluke failures). That is the only point. Not debating the potential lack of "user posts" ................................ I do wonder whether or not there will be any benefit to a thread that might get one or two FIRST HAND posts either way, but it will be better than nothing - have to start somewhere.
Point being, the majority of those that join 6.0 forums are likely to use the OEM cooler. The majority of those that install Dorman coolers are not likely members to any 6.0 forums.

As for wanting a 100,000 mile report, it would need to be Run6,0 to handle that. What is the average mileage here at FTE? Less than 5000 a year for the majority?

Josh

Josh

Old 11-05-2013, 06:13 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Another review .....

Dorman Oil Coolers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

seems to highlight poor quality gaskets, as does 99Expy's link.

I wonder at what point could it be concluded that this product is not worth it (even though the gaskets "look very nice").

Old 11-13-2013, 10:51 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
More evidence that did not take 100k miles (or need Anthony to try, lol) ................. definitely shows the need for a proper testing period before recommending them.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...pr-screen.html

Old 11-13-2013, 11:18 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
Point being, the majority of those that join 6.0 forums are likely to use the OEM cooler. The majority of those that install Dorman coolers are not likely members to any 6.0 forums.

As for wanting a 100,000 mile report, it would need to be Run6,0 to handle that. What is the average mileage here at FTE? Less than 5000 a year for the majority?

Josh

Josh

That's funny,,, Good luck getting me to put it in. Lol

Old 11-13-2013, 11:30 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Well I do about 25,000 miles a year. I will stick with OEM for most things
I also include IH as I can get good prices at my local dealer and he is Ford friendly.
There mechanic drives a 6.0 and the manager used to.

Here is one more reason for not doing the Dorman parts. This may of been posted already.

Sean

Old 11-14-2013, 12:45 AM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Well I just did my oil cooler and used the ford one. I can tell you on the freeway doing 80 while pulling a enclosed trailer that weights about 3500 lbs im only seeing 8-10 degree splits. Empty at at 70 i see 4-6 splits. That fellow back a few says his split is 10 regularly with the dorman. It must be different interally. Im usually a cheap bast@rd but when this thing is 10hrs + in your motor just spend the extra $50! Also if it mixes oil and coolant ona failure it will cost you alot more.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:50 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Well I do about 25,000 miles a year. I will stick with OEM for most things
I also include IH as I can get good prices at my local dealer and he is Ford friendly.
There mechanic drives a 6.0 and the manager used to.

Here is one more reason for not doing the Dorman parts. This may of been posted already.

Sean
The average driver puts on about 20k miles a year - you (and I) are right in the ballpark. I wish all the 2006 year models had 35k miles on them though - would love to find a used one w/ low mileage.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:58 AM
Carolina Rig
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GARBAGE, GARBAGE, GARBAGE

I posted an earlier response to the Dorman oil cooler question, and my initial response was dead wrong.

THEY ARE F*****G GARBAGE!!

Without going into any details about symptons, here's the 10K mile update:

Hope this clears it up for everyone.

Nothing got past the sump screen under the cooler. IPR screen was clean; however oil and coolant mixed.

As a mechanical engineer myself for over 25 years, what's every bit as important as mechanical fitment is material selection. Dorman severely failed in perhaps the most fundamental aspect of the design, and in perhaps the least expensive part of the manufacturing process.

I have the Motorcraft oil cooler in now, along with 8 new motorcraft injectors which I planned to do this winter.

Truck is running great.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:13 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
It didn't take long to see the MULTIPLE failure reports across the 6.0L forums. Not that surprising as stated earlier. Interesting that it is the gasketing that is the main issue. What does that mean regarding the quality of other components I wonder.

I hear that they have now changed the gasket material, but who would want to be the next guinea pig!!??

Quick Reply: Looking for Clear Answer On Doorman Oil Cooler