Sponsored by: Moser

D8TE carb part # questions (and links)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:55 PM
lazzarruss
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D8TE carb part # questions (and links)

What do the letters after the part number mean?
Carb Numbers:
D8TE-XXX
D8TE-DA
D8TE-DBA
D8TE-CJA
D8TE-BEA
D8TE-CPA
What is the difference?

Also some links that have provided me some useful info in regard to Ford Part numbers:

http://www.carburetion.com/fordnumber.htm
http://www.carbkitsource.com/carbs/catalog/FordTruck/<O

Old 10-28-2013, 10:01 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
D8TE -
D= Decade code.. D is 1970s
8 = Year of decade
T = Truck application
E = Engine

The remaining letters are subsystem versions and changes in design/configuration.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:09 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
The carb tag number identifies exactly what carb you have.
In the Ford parts catalog there is a list of the tag numbers and it will tell you what the correct carb kit is, it also tells you the part number of the complete carb.
There is no way to tell what the differences are between different tag numbers. Sometimes its easy, example two carbs both have a D8TE prefix. Ones a two barrel motorcraft, the other a 1 bbl Carter. but if both carbs are say Motorcraft 2150's, both have the same prefix but one has a -ATA suffix, the other a -DB suffix. What's the difference? No easy way to tell. It may not be anything that you can tell by just looking at it.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:15 PM
lazzarruss
Junior User
another link for part # info

So After looking at this I think I do not have the full part number for the Carb I need.

Decoding Ford casting part numbers

The actual part number im looking for would be between 9500 and 9599.
Every time I start reseaching somthing and find some info, I think Im almost there...Just find out Im barely uncovering the tip of an iceberg.

Any help narrowing down the part number I need would be great.

Truck info:
1978 F150 Ranger XLT, 400, built in San Jose, ordered from Pheonix
factory A/C, C6 transmission. Emissions Calibration 7-74-R10.

looking for the right part number for the. PO put a different carb from a newer model truck.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:21 PM
wyckedcombo17
Posting Guru
Quick question, are you looking for the part # just to make it original or are you trying to find parts? It may be easier to have us look at it if you're only looking for parts. My guess is that its a 2150

Old 10-28-2013, 10:24 PM
lazzarruss
Junior User
Originally Posted by mikeo0o0o0
The carb tag number identifies exactly what carb you have.
In the Ford parts catalog there is a list of the tag numbers and it will tell you what the correct carb kit is, it also tells you the part number of the complete carb.
There is no way to tell what the differences are between different tag numbers. Sometimes its easy, example two carbs both have a D8TE prefix. Ones a two barrel motorcraft, the other a 1 bbl Carter. but if both carbs are say Motorcraft 2150's, both have the same prefix but one has a -ATA suffix, the other a -DB suffix. What's the difference? No easy way to tell. It may not be anything that you can tell by just looking at it.

In other words unless I had the original carb I may never know exactly what I had.
I may be making this bigger in my head than it needs to be. Im pretty sure I am.
I am trying to collect all the info I can to determine the type of choke, anti diesel positions, vacuum setup, wiring etc I am supposed to have. I was hoping the carb part number would help. Most the sites im finding give either very little to no info; or an overwhelming amount of info. There are too many disconnected tubes, wires and connectors on my truck and not enough conclusive info. So close on many things but not quite there...

Old 10-28-2013, 10:27 PM
lazzarruss
Junior User
Originally Posted by wyckedcombo17
Quick question, are you looking for the part # just to make it original or are you trying to find parts? It may be easier to have us look at it if you're only looking for parts. My guess is that its a 2150

Yes its a variation of the 2150, but the guy I bought the truck from told me its from a newer model. He said there are some "features" that may not be hooked up.

I like things to be hooked up. I figured if I understood what my truck had in it, then I could figure out what the accessory systems should be, and be able to buy the parts I need to bring my truck back to stock.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:50 PM
wyckedcombo17
Posting Guru
If you search Mi1lion and vacuum diagrams on google images you'll probably be able to find vacuum diagrams and such. Thats how I found em when I was trying to make my 400 stock again.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:11 PM
lazzarruss
Junior User
Originally Posted by wyckedcombo17
If you search Mi1lion and vacuum diagrams on google images you'll probably be able to find vacuum diagrams and such. Thats how I found em when I was trying to make my 400 stock again.
Yeah, hes got a lot of info. Im not sure hes active on FTE anymore though. I went through many of his posts replys and his diagrams but could not find one for 7-74-R10. Im sure some of the ones I have found are similar though, I just dont know what is different. He replied back to another member a few years back that he did not have that diagram and his last active date was 2010. I will continue to search google and see what turns up.

Thanks

Old 10-28-2013, 11:43 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Originally Posted by lazzarruss
Any help narrowing down the part number I need would be great.
Truck info:
1978 F150 Ranger XLT, 400, built in San Jose, ordered from Pheonix
factory A/C, C6 transmission. Emissions Calibration 7-74-R10.
According to the Ford parts catalog there are three possibilities:
Fits:
78 F150/250 w/ AT 400 & Calif Emissions before s/n BA0,001
tag D8TE-BA p/n D8TZ-9510-B

from s/n BA0,001
tag D8TE-CRA p/n D8TZ-9510-L

78 F150/250 w/ AT 400 & Calif Emissions
tag D8PE-APA p/n D8PZ-9510-AP

Old 10-29-2013, 11:03 AM
lazzarruss
Junior User
the serial you mention is that the serial to makes up the last digits of the VIN? mine starts with CC so D8TZ-9510-L it is....but Im not sure mines a Cali truck. It was ordered from Pheonix, but manufactured in Cali (San Jose)

Old 10-29-2013, 11:51 AM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
the serial you mention is that the serial to makes up the last digits of the VIN? mine starts with CC so D8TZ-9510-L it is....but Im not sure mines a Cali truck. It was ordered from Pheonix, but manufactured in Cali (San Jose)
Yes, the serial number is the last six digits of the VIN.
I'm guessing on the Cali emissions because it was built at San Jose. If the emission label is still on the engine it should specify Cali or 49 state emissions.
I don't have a chart that breaks down the calibration codes.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:40 PM
lazzarruss
Junior User
ive seen a few charts floating around that show what my code is, but none showing what the 7-74-r10 calibration details... Ive seen drawings for many other calibrations though. I hope i run across the drawing for mine. does not seem like ill find it online though. Im hoping my trip to the library will yeild results.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:57 PM
lazzarruss
Junior User
Originally Posted by mikeo0o0o0
Yes, the serial number is the last six digits of the VIN.
I'm guessing on the Cali emissions because it was built at San Jose. If the emission label is still on the engine it should specify Cali or 49 state emissions.
I don't have a chart that breaks down the calibration codes.

assuming the sticker on my valve cover is original I have a non-catalyst setup. Does that also mean I probably didnt have the vapor canister as well?
if there were no atalytic converters it would seem like they would not. There no return line to the fuel tank either. I actually have two fuel tanks but due to rotting hoses the PO rerouted the lines and cut out the rear tank hoses. So I have only one operable tank now.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:09 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
assuming the sticker on my valve cover is original I have a non-catalyst setup. Does that also mean I probably didnt have the vapor canister as well?
if there were no atalytic converters it would seem like they would not. There no return line to the fuel tank either. I actually have two fuel tanks but due to rotting hoses the PO rerouted the lines and cut out the rear tank hoses. So I have only one operable tank now.
Catalyst v. non-catalyst doesn't have anything to do with the evaporative emissions control system, they're independent of each other.

Quick Reply: D8TE carb part # questions (and links)