Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undercoating help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 10:12 PM
FordYoungGun35
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Undercoating help

96 f150 4x4... Got the bed off, and am going to be wire brush and wheeling the frame, gas tank, wheel wells and underneath of the bed.. Any thing im forgetting?

I have a bunch of rattle cans of the Rustoleum Professional Undercoating. My main question is what else do i need to remove? I mean as far as the frame, there are brake lines, fuel lines and all that other good stuff I didn't want to just spray right over it.

here's the bed
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/...ps394e8945.jpg
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/...psd9a43027.jpg

and the truck itself
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/...ps470f57b0.jpg
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/...ps635956cb.jpg

and lastly im assuming i need to remove the gas tank? If so other than the two metal straps over the top what else needs to be done?

Old 10-21-2013, 04:27 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Truck looks pretty clean, dont ruin it with undercoat.

Stand the bed up on its front and power wash it, Also power wash the frame and the underside of the body.

After it tis dry, wire brush or sand everything you can. Then power wash again.

Then let the truck sit SEVERAL days to dry, occasionally taking compressed air to any pockets to blow out any trapped water.

Then spend the money and buy Chassis Saver, POR15, Rust Encapsulator, or PM Industries and PAINT everything

Old 10-21-2013, 05:12 PM
FordYoungGun35
Elder User
I've already started with the actual bed with wire brushing, power washing, is there something just terrible about undercoating even if I let it dry and everything

Old 10-21-2013, 05:20 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by FordYoungGun35
I've already started with the actual bed with wire brushing, power washing, is there something just terrible about undercoating even if I let it dry and everything
I'm kind of wondering the same thing. I was just going to suggest using rust-converting primer first (even after clean up it doesn't hurt to use it), then lightly wire brushing by hand or sanding to scuff it up and then put the undercoat on.

To my knowledge, there's nothing wrong with undercoat, but I'm not an expert.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:32 PM
FordYoungGun35
Elder User
I didn't think there was a problem with undercoating as long as its done right.. Maybe im wrong, but im gonna go do some more wire brushing and post before and after pics

Old 10-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Ketchacar22
Junior User
Ford has their tested and approved undercoating available in 1 qt, which requires a gun or in aerosol spray cans. Don't remember the part number, but your dealer's part dept should be able to help you.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
The problem with undercoat is that it sticks better to itself than it does to the surface being sprayed on.

So it will get a pin hole in it, let in moisture and ROT the metal out behind it. It does not peal off, letting you see what is going on.

PAINT on the other hand will lift and peal off when moisture gets behind it. THEN you can see you have a problem and FIX it

Old 10-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Ketchacar22
Junior User
Undercoat

The Motorcraft does not do that, which is called "pocketing" due to it's formulation. As long as the surface is fairly clean, it does not pocket or lift off. I have it on two of my 77 Ford's, one for over 6 years, no problem. You buy the other stuff that is marketed as "undercoating" and it's just recycled asphalt and solvent. Big difference between the Motorcraft and the junk that is sold as undercoating to people.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:16 PM
FordYoungGun35
Elder User
so the rustoleum is trash?

Old 10-22-2013, 04:35 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Ketchacar22
The Motorcraft does not do that, which is called "pocketing" due to it's formulation. As long as the surface is fairly clean, it does not pocket or lift off. I have it on two of my 77 Ford's, one for over 6 years, no problem. You buy the other stuff that is marketed as "undercoating" and it's just recycled asphalt and solvent. Big difference between the Motorcraft and the junk that is sold as undercoating to people.
You live in a pretty much rust free state to begin with and 6 years is hardly a test of time

Old 10-22-2013, 04:36 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by FordYoungGun35
so the rustoleum is trash?
EVERY undercoat is trash. It is not like motorcraft makes their own. someone makes it for them and it is relabeled

Old 10-22-2013, 07:29 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
What I'm gathering from this conversation is that undercoating and paint have similar requirements: being done right. It doesn't matter the coating, whether it's undercoat, paint, engine paint, powder coating, etc... if the surface prep isn't done correctly, the coating won't stick.

Now it may be true that undercoat won't peel off and paint will (I can't say for sure since I don't have the experience to know), but that doesn't change the fact that if the prep work is done right, undercoat can be just as effective as paint or other coatings.

I'm not saying that there isn't real junk products on the market, but in this case, I don't see anybody presenting any "real" reasons (meaning there's something fundamentally wrong with what the product is or how it's manufactured) why undercoating is bad... just that they've had bad experiences with it.

I'm willing to admit I'm wrong, but not because someone has had a bad experience with it.... I had a bad experience in high school 15 years ago, doesn't mean high school is bad... unless it's public high school.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:19 PM
FordYoungGun35
Elder User
well i'm not really in a rust state either.. Im in southeast Missouri, we do see snow and ice tho and sometimes in great quantities.. But honestly the truck will probably never get driven in the winter anymore especially not in the snow.. This is no longer my daily driver so it'll be a summer rig just for fun on the weekends, and to cruise around in to the river and what have ya.. I have heard what diesel is saying about it trapping moisture i just figured since it wont see salt or any thing during the winter the undercoating would be okay if I prep it well and do it well. Besides the undercoating would make cleaning the undercarriage easier and certainly look better as well.. Hell I might just take it to get rhino lined, line exed or whatever yall wanna call it..

Old 10-22-2013, 10:03 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've seen cars and trucks that were undercoated, never driven in winter, and rotted anyway. Like someone else mentioned, if the "skin" of the undercoat is compromised (scratched, pin hole, etc), it ends up trapping moisture and rotting whatever is underneath it. It's not just a bad experience like a zit on prom night in high school, it's a proven fact.

Now, on to my opinion... I'd do what Brad suggests with powerwashing and making sure it's clean and dry before coating it. Since it's not all that rusty now, that should be all it needs before coating it. Since you're doing everything else about the build the right way, I'd suggest getting some POR15, chassis saver, etc. Or maybe try a product I just used, coal tar epoxy. Supposedly it's even more durable than POR, at half the cost. Be warned though, it's thick as molasses, but thinning it makes it easier to brush on. The brand I got was Rustoleum, but there's a lot of manufacturers that make it.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:09 PM
westcoasting
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't do it! I made the mistake of undercoating my first truck and it rotted away faster than i could imagine. One rear shock fell off and i went to investigate to see how to fix and found the whole back frame rails rusted out...

Quick Reply: Undercoating help