Sponsored by:

Aux input and Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 11:15 PM
rinker312
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aux input and Bluetooth

I have been reading all around but can't find specifically what I am looking for. So if anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it

Today I got a little bluetooth device from Walmart that is powered by a USB port and has a headphone output. I took the headphone output and used an adapter to plug it into the aux input on the DVD player. It works great for us to connect our iphones. but I want to clean it up a little and kind of integrate it so that I can get rid of all the wires hanging. Is there somewhere behind the head unit where I can tap into the aux line from the DVD player?

Any specifics that you can supply would be appreciated

Thanks

Old 09-22-2013, 09:05 AM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rinker312
I have been reading all around but can't find specifically what I am looking for. So if anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it

Today I got a little bluetooth device from Walmart that is powered by a USB port and has a headphone output. I took the headphone output and used an adapter to plug it into the aux input on the DVD player. It works great for us to connect our iphones. but I want to clean it up a little and kind of integrate it so that I can get rid of all the wires hanging. Is there somewhere behind the head unit where I can tap into the aux line from the DVD player?

Any specifics that you can supply would be appreciated

Thanks
If you have a 6 disc changing (in console) you can use this adapter to convert that to auxiliary. I did it and works well, I never used the 6 discs and now have it in use as an IPOD jack. This isn't the exact one I have (I have the IPOD version) but this is the standard AUX jack option.

PIE FRDN-AUX Ford auxiliary audio input adapter expedition excursion

Old 09-22-2013, 10:50 AM
rinker312
New User
Yes I ran across that while reading. I don't really want to disconnect the cd changer. I just want to know where the current aux input that is already on my entertainment system comes into the back of the head unit. Then I can tap the little Bluetooth unit into those lines and I can install that unit in the console or somewhere that it is not seen and I won't have wires hanging all over the place. I am assuming that the head unit has separate inputs for the cd changer, DVD system and the aux on the DVD system. If anyone knows where I could find a wiring diagram for these specific head units that would probably help

Thanks

Old 09-22-2013, 02:58 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rinker312
Yes I ran across that while reading. I don't really want to disconnect the cd changer. I just want to know where the current aux input that is already on my entertainment system comes into the back of the head unit. Then I can tap the little Bluetooth unit into those lines and I can install that unit in the console or somewhere that it is not seen and I won't have wires hanging all over the place. I am assuming that the head unit has separate inputs for the cd changer, DVD system and the aux on the DVD system. If anyone knows where I could find a wiring diagram for these specific head units that would probably help

Thanks
Ok this is what I have on my computer from some research last year - see it if helps.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
EX wiring audio dvd video.pdf (541.5 KB, 251 views)
Old 09-23-2013, 07:11 PM
rinker312
New User
Got it working!!

Thank you for the schematics. I looked through them and they really didn't make much sense to me. So I just decided to dig into it a little bit ago and I am glad I did.

Here is what I did. First I took down the overhead DVD/air control assembly. I figured out where I wanted to mount the little bluetooth unit and just mounted it with some good strong velcro. I then removed one of the fins in what appears to be cooling vents or something. This allowed me to get all my wiring in. I plugged into the AUX ports, took the excess wiring inside the overhead console and tied it off with just enough sticking out to plug into the bluetooth unit. Then for power I tapped into some power that I found in the console and just soldered some wires to one of those USB power adapters for the power port and strapped that down up there also. It is kind of redneckish, but it works great, and was very easy to do. I put some pics of it in the Rinker312 photo album if anybody wants to see it. The thing I like about this is that I am still able to use my CD changer, and if I ever want to hook up a different AUX device, I just unplug this temporarily. Thank you for your help.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:28 PM
supra88
Freshman User
In my Lincoln aviator I did the same, but took the monitor and DVD down to solder the rca wires to the back of the jacks it works the same but i have no cables visible

In the F150 I use the Ford aux input just like the one sammie0126 mention
but this adapter allows you to keep the Ford CD changer and add 1 aux new port to the radio, Ford aux adapter

Old 09-26-2013, 08:20 AM
rinker312
New User
Originally Posted by supra88
In my Lincoln aviator I did the same, but took the monitor and DVD down to solder the rca wires to the back of the jacks it works the same but i have no cables visible

In the F150 I use the Ford aux input just like the one sammie0126 mention
but this adapter allows you to keep the Ford CD changer and add 1 aux new port to the radio, Ford aux adapter
I was originally thinking that I would tap into the RCA jacks, to eliminate that one wire going to the front of the unit, but when I got in there I saw that the RCA jacks went directly into the DVD unit. So you took the DVD unit apart to get to them, correct? Was it difficult or pretty easy to get to the jacks? I may open her back up and try that, as that was originally what I wanted to do, was just worried about opening up the DVD unit.

Thanks.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:23 AM
supra88
Freshman User
Yes you have to open the DVD to solder the cable inside,
in my case the 3 rca jacks are next to the monitor and it was not that much work to pull down the video system and solder the cables, I solder all 3 cables to watch videos from my iPhone