1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Power steering conversion/ column question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 01:59 AM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok so for my 59 f100 I ordered the cpp ps conversion kit. Now, I want a new column and found the ididit ones. But! I believe the ps box is a 30 spline while the I did it columns are 36 spline... How the heck did these guys do it? Because I also discovered whatever column they have their can use the column drop kit from ididit and after looking, there isn't one that can use that kit for the 59 f100 model. So they used a column made for something else. I hate how people do write ups and don't give part numbers or specifics... Ugh anyone able to help?

1957-1960 Ford F-100 Power Steering Kit Installation - Classic Trucks Magazine

Old 09-15-2013, 07:07 AM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you install the CPP box yet? I'm very curious how it fits. I ordered one and its not due to be shipped until the 21st. The Toyota box was about 1 1/2 inches away from center and under the brake pedal. I'm in process of sending it back to Mid Fiftys for a refund. Wonderful ppl at Mid Fiftys by the way. Pictures would also be very helpful.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:34 PM
oldebrush
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damifiknow, why are you sending the Toyota box back, just because it is off center? They don't need to be lined up from column to gearbox as the original Ford steering. Borgeson makes many couplers, shafts and universal joints to make all our steering alignment problems go away, unless you have an extra long column that sticks way down below the floorboard. In my experience, the column only needs to go just through the floor, to be mounted to the floor with a floor plate, and that should give you plenty of room for a shaft and U-joints to give you good alignment. The column does not need to be directly in line with the steering box.

Look into this and save yourself headaches. I have not done mine yet, but that will be the route I will go. Wish I had pictures of what I mean, but I have seen some on here from others who have done theirs already.

Hope this helps you.

Aloha, Tony

Old 09-15-2013, 02:15 PM
SuperDuty93
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nah haven't received it yet. But I'm wondering about the splines and what ididit column to use for the floor shift model...

Old 09-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldebrush
Damifiknow, why are you sending the Toyota box back, just because it is off center? They don't need to be lined up from column to gearbox as the original Ford steering. Borgeson makes many couplers, shafts and universal joints to make all our steering alignment problems go away, unless you have an extra long column that sticks way down below the floorboard. In my experience, the column only needs to go just through the floor, to be mounted to the floor with a floor plate, and that should give you plenty of room for a shaft and U-joints to give you good alignment. The column does not need to be directly in line with the steering box.

Look into this and save yourself headaches. I have not done mine yet, but that will be the route I will go. Wish I had pictures of what I mean, but I have seen some on here from others who have done theirs already.

Hope this helps you.

Aloha, Tony
I sent it back because the shaft would have come out under the brake pedal.