General Automotive Discussion

A question about the title for my 1994 Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 08:19 PM
court1100f
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A question about the title for my 1994 Explorer

OK,so I got the explorer August 15th. The title is an issue and I'd prefer not to get a bonded title if I don't have to ANYway heres the deal. the uncle of the guy I bought it from originally bought it from what I'm told was a friend, thing is the uncle never transfered the title over to his name,sold it to his nephew who in turn also never transfered the title He then sold it to me and the Nephew Did sign the back of the title. So my question simply put is what am I going to have to do to get this title straightened out???. I'd appreciate all help those of you that have gone through crap like this can provide me

Thanks in advance Courtney

Old 09-13-2013, 11:11 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,596 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Take all parties and a lot of cash to the DMV. Did the old friend sign off?

If not, you need to find him too.

Was the registration paid all this time? How, since the registration notices must have still gone to the old friend.

Get your money back, and tell them to straighten it out. Serving suggestion.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:46 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
the person that signed the title must register it in his name, then transfer it to your name. it is not that big of a deal.
who it was sold to does not matter if it was never put in their mane. so it will go from the original sellers name to the name of the person who signed the title.
then that person sells it to you.
no need to mention the uncle.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:36 PM
court1100f
Elder User
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Take all parties and a lot of cash to the DMV. Did the old friend sign off?

If not, you need to find him too.

Was the registration paid all this time? How, since the registration notices must have still gone to the old friend.

Get your money back, and tell them to straighten it out. Serving suggestion.
yeah he signed off on it, and the application for title was also filled out although the previous owner neglected to write his DL# on that form the Uncle filled out the back and the date on it is 7-20-2011. and no the registration has not been kept current. as for getting my money back doubt that will happen and in either case I like this truck if I absolutely have to I'd go the bonded title route for 3 years,just hate the fact it'd cost so much more. Assuming the original owner hasn't moved Could I just go to his place show him the bill of sale and get him to sign a form from the DMV and give me a copy of his license get a title sent out then have him sign it and fill it out with my name???

Old 09-14-2013, 03:41 PM
court1100f
Elder User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
the person that signed the title must register it in his name, then transfer it to your name. it is not that big of a deal.
who it was sold to does not matter if it was never put in their mane. so it will go from the original sellers name to the name of the person who signed the title.
then that person sells it to you.
no need to mention the uncle.
Tom the issue there is in all likelihood the Uncles not going to want to pay the $140.00 or more cost due to the penalties of it going on unregistered for this excessive ammount of time it hasn't been registered since nearly this time in 2011. So not sure which route to go not to mention if the uncle had second thoughts he could screw me on it and I'd be out the truck and the cash I paid for it.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:14 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
if the vehicle was never in the uncles name, he has no say in the vehicle. the title is still in the original owners name, but signed on the back by the nephew as the new buyer. so it would go into the nephews name, then transferred into your name.
not sure how they do things in Texas, but you mat be able to just transfer the title without registering like we can.

here in New Jersey, it does not have to be registered, just transfer title.
he can say it was bought with a blown engine, to fix, but then decided not to fix it and is selling it to you with a blown engine so you can fix it.
you want to put the title in your name, then will register it when repaired.

the state does not know if it is running or not, all they will know is that it went title transfer from the original owner to the nephew, to you.
we pay $25 for title transfer, then when it is registered it can be anywhere from $35 to $400 for passenger plates, depending on the size of the vehicle.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:16 PM
court1100f
Elder User
ahh,ok good thats exactly the type of info I was looking for, I really Appreciate it. cause I really like the truck. so one way or the other I'll get the title transfered. here we go I'll show ya'll the little guy

Old 09-17-2013, 05:56 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
we can also do a power of attorney form that the original owner signs, which gives you the power to switch the title to their name and sign it to sell.
all you have to do is have them sign it, you sign it, and have it notarized.
then you take that into the DMV and get the title in the signed name, then sign it with the POA form present and "sell it" to yourself.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:11 PM
flainn
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In most places, a defect of title that you were unaware of at the time of the sale would serve as grounds for you to demand your money back, though there may be a time limit.