Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'86 button for starter?

Old 09-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Quinnbristow
Junior User
Quinnbristow is starting off with a positive reputation.
'86 button for starter?

Hey all, I've been working out all the little things that are wrong with my bronco, and this is next in line.
Shortly after I bought my bronco, the steering column broke in a very interesting way. As I went to start it one day, the ignition slipped, and made it so On is Off, Start is On, and it's unturnable past that, making it impossible to start with the key.
For months now, I've just started her by taking channel locks, and shoving the key position rod that's on the top of the strong column inwards, triggering the starter. I did replace the key ignition, but it didn't do anything; the problem is in the column itself.
I was going to just replace the column, but entry not have some fun with it and give her some personality?
I'd like to install a button that operates the starter. My only hesitation is that I don't want it to operate without the key in the ignition and in the On position. I'd rather not have my bronco stolen
Is this possible? Has anyone tried this?
How would I go about this? I assume I'd throw the button to complete a circuit between two wires going to the ignition, but which two?

Thanks in advance
Quinn

Old 09-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.
Why don't you try a new ignition switch before trying something like that?.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Quinnbristow
Junior User
I did. Sorry, I couldn't remember exactly what it was called, so I referred to it as the "key ignition" xD sorry about that

Old 09-08-2013, 04:12 PM
roosplash
Senior User
roosplash is starting off with a positive reputation.
The problem isn't the key switch nor the ignition switch. The problem you have is a broken ignition actuator. It's about $10 and you can find it in the "HELP!" Section of most any auto parts store. If not they can order it.
It's not difficult to install but repair manuals are vague on how to do it. There are a few YouTube videos on how to replace it that will come in handy. Get the part... Watch the videos and in about 20 minutes you'll be on your way

Old 09-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Quinnbristow
Junior User
Thanks, man