N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Sweet September All Topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 06:30 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Both prime examples of overkill. Might as well buy that 40 foot monster I posted earlier. Found two F350's that are closer, to what I am looking for. Both have the 7.3 and both are white, only difference is one is a crew cab, the other a supercrew. The crew cab I mentioned above, is in Ohio, and nobody has bid on it yet. I am guessing because he says the transmission leaks. I asked him how much it leaks, and he said he drove it from Texas to Ohio, and had to put 2 quarts of tranny fluid in it. So if I get that one, I'll make sure to buy 4 quarts of tranny fluid The other one is in Jacksonville Fl, and it is also white. It is in better condition, and has already had the trans rebuilt, and a new fuel pump installed this month. The engine was rebuilt 120k miles ago. It has a total of 352k miles on it. He says it only has one battery instead of two, but it is brand new and starts the truck up fine. I would buy a second battery for it before driving it back. However, he owns a transport company and has offered to transport it at wholesale, so I sent him a message asking how much that would be. Only thing that one needs is headlights (lens are severely fogged over) and a bushing for the driver's side door so it will close easier. Both trucks get 16 mpg on the highway which is the same as my Bronco. So buying them to save money on long trips is out, as diesel is more expensive to buy then gas. So I would be losing money if I took it. Of course, the main reason for getting it is the ability to tow a lot more than the Bronco can. Still find it hard to believe I cannot find a F350 crew cab dually closer to Fresno then the other side of the country. Well, let me rephrase that, there are some, but the owners have them priced way out of my league. They think they are made out of gold or something.

Jim

Old 09-02-2013, 08:00 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 09-02-2013, 08:39 PM
FI460
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That 97 is sweet.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

How the heck do you find these Joe? I check Craigslist everyday, and I have never seen any of these trucks. I like both flatbed tow trucks, and the '97. The '97 does not list a price, so I don't want to contact him until I get the check, but that is exactly what I am looking for. Or was, until I saw the flatbeds. The flatbed tow trucks would save me having to buy a car trailer, and the '86 is only $4,500. I can easily see my driving that. The white one which they claim is an '89 (if it is, someone changed front clips) Looks great, but I don't know if I want to pay an extra $1,500 to get it over the '86. The yellow one looks great too but has the 5 speed and driving it would be very uncomfortable, so I will have to just look for automatics. And the black one is a Chevy, and with so many Fords to choose from here, why bother? LOL. It is black though, and the cheapest of all of them, but it has the old tow boom, and I prefer the flatbed over that. Even though getting a flatbed would mean I would have to crawl on the ground to get the vehicle hooked up, which means trying to get back up with a knee that does not bend, but the tow trucks with the automatic wheel lifts are too expensive for my budget. Getting a car trailer would mean the same thing if I had a non running car to put on it. I would need to get a winch for the trailer as I cannot push a car with my disability. Getting the flatbed tow truck would give me the winch, and lights to make hooking up a car at night safer. Thanks for the links Joe. I will try and buy one of the flatbeds if they are available, they both are MUCH closer than anything I have seen on eBay.

Jim

Old 09-02-2013, 10:21 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
And u want to another pluss to a ramp truck ur not limted to 55 mph on the freeway

Old 09-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

That '86 looks like it will be the one for me. I like the '89 with the 93 front clip, but it is $1,500 more. Although, it does say it only has 30k miles on it. If that is true, then it is worth $6k. Another advantage to the flatbed is that I can take the Bronco up to go get it, then put the Bronco on it, and bring it back. Don't have to rent a U-Haul car trailer, or buy a car trailer. And it looks like it is only 18 miles west of Hank's place. Maybe stop by and pay him a visit. Of course, that also means it is not too far from Manteca, two more FTE peeps I can visit there.

edit: Going to have to buy one of those neon vests to wear when I drive it, so it looks like I know what I am doing! LOL

Jim

Old 09-03-2013, 12:23 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Okay, I am all set, figured out how to keep it fresh in my mind so I don't forget, and go off to Florida for a white super crew dually. (I wonder if that El Camino comes with it?) LOL.

The center screen is showing a YouTube video of a Korean group called "Sistar" other than that I know nothing about them. Everything is in Korean, but I like the beat, and the eye candy is not bad either.

Jim

Old 09-03-2013, 12:51 AM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, it is September again. It seems like Labor Day hits and then suddenly Thanksgiving, Christmas blur by and I am trying to make resolutions for the new year.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:47 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Time flies when you are having fun eh? LOL. Yeah, the holidays are right around the corner. Almost time to pig out on food, then make a resolution to lose weight.

Jim

Old 09-03-2013, 08:24 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
yea jim one problem u have with a two truck are most are manual transmissions and thats caue they have more lickey to have a pto option and if the elcaimo comes with it u have to grow a mullet thats a must have if u owen a elcaimo

Old 09-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

When I worked (briefly) for a tow company I was lucky in that my tow truck had an automatic, and an electric PTO. Of course it was a Chevy, and had the 454, but I was not paying for the gas. LOL. The 2nd two truck was an older Ford, and it had the manual trans with the manual PTO. That job lasted about a month, due to the difficulty in me getting down on the pavement to hook up the vehicles. (In 100+ degree weather, the asphalt is pretty darn hot!) So if I get either of these flatbeds, I will buy a tarp or throw rug or something to put on the ground to lay on in order to hook up the car/truck.

So one needs a mullet in order to own a El Camino eh? Never heard of that one. Since it was not mentioned in the ad, I doubt the El Camino comes with the truck. Besides, if it did, how would I get the Bronco home?

Jim

Old 09-03-2013, 01:43 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Happy Tuesday sept 3 ,I was wondering why I haven't received any e-mail notes from FTE nor cal, Duhh its Sept Not Aug, any way Jim If you get that road boat and need a place to park it ,There's plenty of space. Have a Great Day FTE Friends

Old 09-03-2013, 02:01 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
El caino is like a mullet business up front Party in back

Old 09-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Road boat? LOL Never heard a tow truck called that, I have heard the term Land yacht though, and it fits, especially for that monstrosity in Ohio. However, there are two nice ones (and shorter) closer to home, so I will get one or the other. Just need to check with Allstate to see if they will insure it. My future business partner recommends getting the dually and car trailer instead of a tow truck as the tow truck is a single purpose vehicle, and the dually can take me camping, or long trips, or haul a travel trailer. He does have a point, however the Bronco will be staying, and I can tow a small travel trailer with that, and go on long trips. The only thing that will stop me from getting a flatbed tow truck is the insurance. Just for the heck of it, I got a quote from Progressive using the '86 as the vehicle, and mind you this is for a tow company, not just personal use, and it was $3,144 a year.. I don't own a tow company and would not be on call 24/7, so I am sure for personal use it would be a lot lower. If not, then I will have to go the dually/car trailer route.

I emailed both tow truck owners and asked them questions about their trucks. Hopefully I will get responses back today. I don't really want to call them just yet, I want to have the cash in hand first. Since Livingston is on the way to Hayward, I could stop by and see that one first, then go see the one in Hayward. If I don't like the Hayward one, I can stop by Livingston on the way back and buy that one. Either way, I should be a tow truck owner sometime this week, unless both are sold before the check arrives. Or if common sense wins out, I would be a crew cab dually owner this week, towing a car trailer behind it. One way or another, I will start flipping cars this week.

Already found a '96 Chevy S-10 for $1,000 that is perfect for flipping, it is a 4x4 too, and only needs 4 tires and an oxygen sensor. That will be my first tow other than my own Bronco. Since the tow trucks are more than I planned on spending for this business, I will not be buying a daily driver. I will have to wait until I start making a profit from the business before I do that.

Jim

Old 09-03-2013, 03:25 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Jim, theres an Auction Sept 7 in Parlier Ca, Mulrooney auction co, I have seen some pretty good trucks there, another one in Merced on the 28th, you can go to there web site and look at what they have, They always have trucks. and some trailers.

Quick Reply: Sweet September All Topic thread