Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What bumper is best for factory replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:20 PM
F-250 WARHORSE
Cargo Master
Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
What bumper is best for factory replacement?

I want to replace the step bumper on the rear of my 96 f350 xlt, but I want a good quality unit, Mine is still pretty nice, but I see a small dent in the one side and the other side looks slightly twisted. I want a nice factory replacement, chrome, black plastic top, and I was wondering if anybody has any recommendations.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:35 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by F-250 WARHORSE
I want to replace the step bumper on the rear of my 96 f350 xlt, but I want a good quality unit, Mine is still pretty nice, but I see a small dent in the one side and the other side looks slightly twisted. I want a nice factory replacement, chrome, black plastic top, and I was wondering if anybody has any recommendations.
I recommend a Luvern bumper.

My truck has one on it and I LOVE it. Fits the body lines much better than the OEM one, and can pull more weight.

Here's a pic of it on my truck:

And here's more of a side/front view to see how it looks.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:42 AM
F-250 WARHORSE
Cargo Master
Thanks. I will look into it, but I am a real big fan of the stock/ OEM style in nice shape. I'll keep looking.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Big_Red_Brute
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can no longer buy a new factory style rear bumper for your truck. Ford no longer has them. Westin (FEY) or Sherman (LMC) make bumpers that do resemble the factory ones, but since they are universal design, they stick out further. In my opinion, they look like *****.

A good body shop may be able to straighten your existing bumper. You can also keep an eye out on Ebay or even Craigslist. I bought a NOS rear bumper out there a couple years ago. Guy bought it to put on his truck but never did.

I'm hoping that maybe Dennis Carpenter will start reproducing factory bumpers for our trucks in the near future. They're already offering one for the '80-'86s.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:39 PM
F-250 WARHORSE
Cargo Master
That would be cool. Most of the junk yard stuff is banged up. I did a little bit of straightening to mine, and I still see it, but It is not very noticeable. Thanks.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:28 PM
Jarryd
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got something similar to what sidewinder posted but I don't know who made it. Definitely looks better than the stock one in my opinion but mine has s dent in it unfortunately.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:08 AM
F-250 WARHORSE
Cargo Master
I love the stock look. But I am not a fan of accessories and extras. A little extra chrome is good, and the XLT package is really my deal I just think it was perfection, the only thing about my truck I wish ford had done different is put a little bit more spring in the front to raise it up. The f350 sits high anyway, but a little bit more in front to level it would be cool. But the other side is when I pull a trailer, it sits the rear down and rides flat, sort of cool.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:49 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by F-250 WARHORSE
The f350 sits high anyway, but a little bit more in front to level it would be cool. But the other side is when I pull a trailer, it sits the rear down and rides flat, sort of cool.
that's how they should sit.whenever you see those guys raise up the front to sit more level or worse,when the front then actually sits higher and looks real stupid and see those trucks try and actually work,their nose points to the sky and not only does it not look cool then,but it's very dangerous as it lightens up the steering drastically.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:37 AM
Jarryd
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
that's how they should sit.whenever you see those guys raise up the front to sit more level or worse,when the front then actually sits higher and looks real stupid and see those trucks try and actually work,their nose points to the sky and not only does it not look cool then,but it's very dangerous as it lightens up the steering drastically.
I've heard that before but I haven't had any issues with mine being level except when I had over 1000 lbs in the bed. I am considering bringing up the back a little though.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:15 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
^That's the truth. When I did my SAS, the nose sat higher than the rear, so I added a few more springs to the back to level it, and the first time I tried to pull a trailer after that, it was hell. And steering wasn't the worst part, stopping was terrible because it felt like the front tires wanted to come right off the ground. I put a 4" block in the back to replace the 2" and it's sooo much better now.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:09 PM
BiGGreen350
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GNR22
^That's the truth. When I did my SAS, the nose sat higher than the rear, so I added a few more springs to the back to level it, and the first time I tried to pull a trailer after that, it was hell. And steering wasn't the worst part, stopping was terrible because it felt like the front tires wanted to come right off the ground. I put a 4" block in the back to replace the 2" and it's sooo much better now.
Originally Posted by Jarryd
I've heard that before but I haven't had any issues with mine being level except when I had over 1000 lbs in the bed. I am considering bringing up the back a little though.
the advantages of rake in the suspension, and also so your truck doesnt look like its got a poopy diaper like the chevys do when you have any type of load in it

Old 08-31-2013, 08:08 PM
Jarryd
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BiGGreen350
the advantages of rake in the suspension, and also so your truck doesnt look like its got a poopy diaper like the chevys do when you have any type of load in it
I want an add a leaf so it gets an inch or so higher and I have more strength.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:10 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
That doesn't make sense to me. The front wheels are carrying about the same amount of weight no matter how high the nose sits. Yes, putting a lot of tongue weight on will lift the front end and lighten the steering, but it's the weight levering down a ways behind the rear axle that lightens the steering, not simply the fact that the front end is higher. Raising the front end with longer springs won't lighten it.

That said, I still agree that a little rake looks good and a little nose high looks overloaded, so with any truck that'll be used like a truck I'd want some rake empty (unless it had air helper springs). But it's for looks, not for handling.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:14 PM
Jarryd
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
That doesn't make sense to me. The front wheels are carrying about the same amount of weight no matter how high the nose sits. Yes, putting a lot of tongue weight on will lift the front end and lighten the steering, but it's the weight levering down a ways behind the rear axle that lightens the steering, not simply the fact that the front end is higher. Raising the front end with longer springs won't lighten it.

That said, I still agree that a little rake looks good and a little nose high looks overloaded, so with any truck that'll be used like a truck I'd want some rake empty (unless it had air helper springs). But it's for looks, not for handling.
Only reason I haven't raised mine yet is because I haven't decided if I'm going to do a 4x4 conversion.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:45 PM
Big_Red_Brute
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nothing Special

Think of your truck as a scale. If you put more weight on one side, the other side comes up. Putting extra weight in the bed or tongue weight on a trailer will cause the weight to be lifted off the front end because the truck is out of balance. Thus since the front is where most of your braking and all of your steering happens, it makes it harder to control. Lifting the truck higher in the front will not take weight of the front end, it just makes it sit higher. It makes perfect sense!

Quick Reply: What bumper is best for factory replacement?