1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New lights for my truck, Lightforce HIDs and LED light bar. How should I set them up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 10:35 PM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
New lights for my truck, Lightforce HIDs and LED light bar. How should I set them up?

Truck is a 2003 F250 FX4 Lariat sporting the 7.3 diesel of course. Mods in signature.

Anyway, I have a pretty basic Fabtech light bar that has a pair of Lightforce 170 Strikers with spot beam covers.

Well they didn't put out enough light by themselves so I did some research and discovered LED light bars. Due to a recommendation, I ordered a 34" LED light bar off ebay. Came from China and cost about $225 delivered. Looks to be good quality but the item arrived damaged but the seller is taking care of it.

The lightbar has a flood/spot combination pattern and I think it will do well covering short distances. I have tested it and it is bright as ****. But I wanted something that would throw light a bit further down the road...

So I ordered some Lightforce 240 Blitz 50W HIDs. They are huge. Normally cost between $800 and $900 but I scored a brand new set for $650 delivered.

I am wondering what is the best way set to all these lights up. Should I keep the larger HID lights on the outside mounting tabs on the light bar or move them where the smaller Strikers are now, and put the Strikers on the outside?

The easiest way for me to mount the LED lightbar will be by making a small little bracket and using the existing holes from the outside tabs on my lightbar. Essentially the bolt and nut from the Lightforce lights would be clamping down the brackets that would mount the LED lightbar to. By doing this the LED lightbar will cover my stock foglights which I am sort of bummed about.

Here is a picture of how I am thinking the setup will look like:

I have heard aiming some of the lights so the beams cross diagonally can help fill dead spots and throw more light around corners. Which lights should I aim diagonally?

All of them are going to be wired into three position switches that include OFF, ON, and ON with highbeams.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:27 AM
F-250 Super Duty
Laughing Gas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I'm glad you changed your mind and went with some HID's. You won't be disappointed!

I would mount the HID's on the outside where your red circles are. They have a really nice pattern and you will most likely get the full benefit from them the further they are apart. The only problem with aiming diagonally is if they are one and a car is approaching. The light could shine right into the windshield before passing....

Old 08-23-2013, 11:56 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Had you not already ordered and received the LED bar I would of recommended Rigid Industries light bars. A little more $$ but tough as all hell and produce a lot of light. Plus you can get other types that are small but depending on what you want, they have many choices....including combo sets.

The light force lights I believe put out more light tho. At least what I have seen in comparisons.

So if you want to get rid of the ones you have now...