Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hutch Mod - My Install and Results

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 11:00 PM
alienbogey
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hutch Mod - My Install and Results

I know this mod has been done many times with many threads, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

I used the Strictly Diesel Hutch mod kit.

Everybody says to get all the fuel out of the tank before dropping it. I couldn't find a siphon hose, the gauge said just less than 1/4 full, so I said the heck with it and my dad and I dropped it without further defueling.

Get all the fuel out before you drop the tank, people.

We broke one of those white straps that holds the rub guard (?) on, but a 48" zip tie is just big enough to replace it and works well.

My pickup foot and screens were just fine. I had a new pickup foot ready just in case, but I put the old one back on. (Anyone need my unused new one?)

The tank's retaining ring was hard to get off (but a wood block and hammer worked), and was impossible to get back on. We fiddled with it for 30+ minutes before we soaked it in boiled water for 5 minutes, then took it out and it went right on.

Locating the new external filter on the frame rail wasn't easy because there was already an air compressor and Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter set there. Fortunately, there was just enough room to fit it in:

The Harpoon mod was harder than I expected. I bought a little ratcheting PVC cutter from Ace Hardware that was just the ticket, but Ford's PVC vent pipe is tough and thick and it was many a turn round and round before it was cut. I left the filler tube alone.

Having learned our lesson, we drained the tank before reinstalling it. (DRAIN BEFORE DROPPING!) Much mo' better.

Filled the fuel filter and installed it, put 5 gallons in the tank, keyed the fuel pump on several times, and it fired right up.

Did the Hutch mod make my 7.3 quieter?

I've never thought that mine had any kind of cackle, but I didn't want to judge before and after noise by ear, so I took a decibel reading before the mod.

With the engine at normal operating temperature, doors and windows closed, fan off, and my iPhone (with a decibel meter app) in its cradle, I measured 68 decibels at idle.

After the mod, with the iPhone in its cradle and the exact same conditions except that my pickup camper was on, I got a reading of a steady 65 decibels.

Could the empty bed versus having the camper on make an acoustic difference in the cab? I don't know. I will try to take a reading with the camper off, but that probably won't happen until after hunting season.

Can't think of anything else to report.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:24 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Good job! Reps for tackling the job...