6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Battery light voltage issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 07:17 PM
jim6liter
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery light voltage issues

Hey there guys. I have my 04 with a refurbished alternator (put in about 2 yrs ago.) recently my battery light comes on and lights surge bright and dim along with surging ac blower. I metered the alternator output and it will go from 13.8 all the way to 15.4. My scan gauge shows that voltage while driving. The battery lint seems to come on when the voltage is high. Is my alternator shot? Trying to figure this out, thanks. Jim

Old 08-08-2013, 07:29 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Classic signs of a bad regulator . I would pull the Alt and replace or rebuild .

Old 08-08-2013, 07:35 PM
jim6liter
More Turbo
Originally Posted by JWC 3
Classic signs of a bad regulator . I would pull the Alt and replace or rebuild .
Okay, that's what I'll do. I'm gonna replace it. Thanks

Old 08-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Or corroded/ bad cables

Josh

Old 08-08-2013, 08:01 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
Or corroded/ bad cables

Josh
I think you misread his issue. The output goes from 13.8 up to 15.4. Bad cables will not cause this...

Old 08-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
This just happen last weekend to my son on the road. He had the alternator replaced and all is well. Also an 04. Bad new is he went to ford at the river, $507.oo to replace.
I told him to get a DC power alternator the week before. He had it checked out in Norco at the ford dealer and they told him all was well. Figure,

Old 08-08-2013, 08:19 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would also have the batterys individually load tested, isolated. I know the dealer you used and they are usually pretty good.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by 99ExpyProblems
I think you misread his issue. The output goes from 13.8 up to 15.4. Bad cables will not cause this...
The alternator receives the voltage feed on the "S" or yellow feed wire. If that particular wire has a bad or corroded connection the voltage will rise and fall.

So yes, bad or corroded cables WILL cause the symptoms.

Josh

Old 08-08-2013, 09:17 PM
jim6liter
More Turbo
Or corroded/ bad cables
No corrosion at all on the cables
Josh
Originally Posted by 69cj
I would also have the batterys individually load tested, isolated. I know the dealer you used and they are usually pretty good.
I recently installed new ones, they seem real strong still

Old 08-08-2013, 09:19 PM
jim6liter
More Turbo
New alternator installed, no battery light. All is back to normal. Best part free from O'Reilly, lol. Lets see how long this one lasts. Thanks guys

Old 08-08-2013, 09:37 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
The alternator receives the voltage feed on the "S" or yellow feed wire. If that particular wire has a bad or corroded connection the voltage will rise and fall.

So yes, bad or corroded cables WILL cause the symptoms.

Josh
Well, I stand corrected. I've never heard of such a thing. An alternator outputting 15.4 volts because of a corroded connection?

Old 08-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Bullitt390

Well, I stand corrected. I've never heard of such a thing. An alternator outputting 15.4 volts because of a corroded connection?
It happens. The "S" circuit is the voltage reference for the alternator. If the voltage is "low" due to corroded connection or otherwise the regulator will start cranking up the voltage on the charge wire to compensate.

The alternator isn't a one-wire connection like a POS old school GM. It uses the "S" for reference, "I" as the excite and the large cable for charge.

Josh

Old 08-08-2013, 11:04 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
It happens. The "S" circuit is the voltage reference for the alternator. If the voltage is "low" due to corroded connection or otherwise the regulator will start cranking up the voltage on the charge wire to compensate.

The alternator isn't a one-wire connection like a POS old school GM. It uses the "S" for reference, "I" as the excite and the large cable for charge.

Josh
According to the Shop Manual:

The S (stator) circuit 4 (WH/BK) is used to feed back a voltage signal externally from the generator stator to the regulator. This voltage feedback signal (typically half the battery voltage) is used by the regulator to turn off the charging system warning indicator. Gas engines have an external stator circuit and diesel engines have an internal stator circuit.

A Circuit 35 (OG/LB)
The A circuit or battery sense circuit is used to sense battery voltage. This voltage is used by the regulator to determine generator output. This circuit is also used to supply current to the generator field, which determines generator output.

I could check my truck tomorrow, but is there a way to test the S (stator) circuit on a Diesel?

Old 08-08-2013, 11:22 PM
Bullitt390

According to the Shop Manual:

The S (stator) circuit 4 (WH/BK) is used to feed back a voltage signal externally from the generator stator to the regulator. This voltage feedback signal (typically half the battery voltage) is used by the regulator to turn off the charging system warning indicator. Gas engines have an external stator circuit and diesel engines have an internal stator circuit.

A Circuit 35 (OG/LB)
The A circuit or battery sense circuit is used to sense battery voltage. This voltage is used by the regulator to determine generator output. This circuit is also used to supply current to the generator field, which determines generator output.

I could check my truck tomorrow, but is there a way to test the S (stator) circuit on a Diesel?
Forgot the S becomes A... my bad.

A is straight voltage, "I" is still the excite circuit.

Josh

Old 08-09-2013, 07:44 AM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
I'm still confused. According to the Shop Manual for 2006, the B+ output wire is Red (RD), the I circuit is Light Green/Red (LG/RD), A circuit is Orange/Light Blue (OG/LB). This doesn't match your Yellow/White on the one you posted. Is that an older year or newer year?

In the single generator system, with the key in the ON position, voltage is applied through the charging system warning indicator I circuit to the voltage regulator. This turns the regulator on, allowing current to flow from the battery sense A circuit to the generator field coil. When the engine is started, the generator begins to generate alternating current (AC) which is internally converted to direct current (DC). This current is then supplied to the electrical system through the output terminal (B+) of the generator.

Once the generator begins generating current, a voltage signal is taken from the generator stator and fed back to the regulator through the stator circuit 4 (WH/BK). This voltage feedback signal (typically one-half of the battery voltage) is used to turn off the charging system warning indicator on the single generator system. Gas engines have an external stator circuit and diesel engines have an internal stator circuit.

With the system functioning normally, the generator output current is determined by the voltage of the A circuit. This A circuit voltage (battery sense circuit) is compared to a set voltage internal to the regulator, and the regulator controls the generator field current to maintain correct generator output.

The set voltage varies with temperature and is typically higher in cold temperatures than in warm temperatures. This allows for better battery recharge in the winter and reduces the chance of overcharging in the summer.

The single generator system consists of the generator mounted on the top right of the engine (diesel) or top center of the engine (gas). The gas engines use a 3G 115-amp generator with a 2.71:1 pulley ratio. The 6.0L diesel engine uses a 6G 110-amp (standard) generator with a 2:79 pulley ratio and a snowplow option is available for only the 6.0L diesel that includes a VR42 140-amp generator with a 2.79:1 pulley ratio.

So the lesson here is, as Bullit says, just because the 'symptoms' indicate a faulty voltage regulator, you should avoid throwing parts at it and test the system thoroughly. Don't expect the wiper boys at any of the Auto Parts stores to test it correctly for you.

Going off of the Symptoms described by the O.P., what should have occurred is:

PINPOINT TEST D: THE CHARGING SYSTEM WARNING INDICATOR IS ON WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING AND THE BATTERY INCREASES VOLTAGE

<table height="314" border="1" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="582"><tbody><tr> <th>Test Step </th> <th>Result / Action to Take </th></tr> <tr> <td> D1 CHECK THE I CIRCUIT 904 (LG/RD) FOR A SHORT TO GROUND </td> <td style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none">
</td></tr> <tr valign="top"> <td>
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Disconnect: Generator C102A (alternator electrical plug).
  • Ignition ON.
  • With the key in the ON position, check the charging system warning indicator.
  • Is the charging system warning indicator illuminated?
</td> <td style="BORDER-TOP: medium none">Yes
REPAIR the I circuit 904 (LG/RD). TEST the system for normal operation.

No
For Diesel Engines, INSTALL a new generator/regulator assembly. REFER to Section 414-02 . TEST the system for normal operation.

</td></tr></tbody></table>