1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Truckstock travel plans & methods

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 03:32 PM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truckstock travel plans & methods

Doc, you're welcome to listen in, but you don't necessarily need to subscribe - just a "hmmm, what do I do / thinking out loud" thread.

Gentlemen, this is a long distance travel... how to get there? what to do? kinda discussion....
I am travelling from Denver CO. and while my truck has been mostly reliable the farthest I have taken it has been across town (east edge of Denver to bandimere speedway).

I was thinking of some options:
A) printing out a list of KOA kampgrounds, packing a tent and praying my luck and skill can make it from one the the next without horrific incident.
B) renting a little travel trailer, nothing fancy just basic place to sleep.
C) taking a wad of cash and hoping I can afford whatever hotel I manage to make it to.

I'm not intentionally trying to turn a 19 hour trip into 5 days, but I am planning for the worst.

So here's the questions
Anyone try to rent a travel trailer with classic insurance - will they even accept a hagerty policy? (it says in plain english not to be used for commercial, towing, profit, etc).

I know others are doing the same route, and the brotherhood of this fellowship I don't feel alone on the road.

I plan on taking the kitchen sink when it comes to tools and spare parts - if it applies to wrenchin on a vehicle I'll bring it.

This will be the first trek I have taken where time & local are really fixed. I headed out for bandimere hours and hours ahead of "need to" time - watched the early time trials...

Anyone have some alternatives, suggestions to improve my luck, etc. I'm running on stock engine but have upgraded the trans and axle (T-5 9").

I'll be bringing a gal with me, she's not squeemish, but the suggestions to just rough it entirely are out (minimums like shower are mandatory).

Old 07-31-2013, 03:50 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
Have you thought about a shake out run? Maybe drive a couple of hours somewhere, have lunch or see some sight then drive back. That might give you a good feel for how long you might be able to go in a day.

I would probably recommend a combination depending on how long it will take. Maybe one night in a KOA and another in a Hotel. Depending how tiring the drive is, a hotel bed might be awful tempting.

Also, how many FTE members are on your route? Even if it is just to stop and take a break or shower. If there are several along the route going a caravan would be safer and cool for drivers on the road to see.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:46 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
First question:
Did you get the low oil pressure issue resolved, the one we discussed here a while back where you had very low op?
I would not tax the truck any more by pulling a travel trailer. A fold down, very low profile tent trailer, maybe.
Don't think, KOA only. There are many private campgrounds, usually more economical. State and local parks are usually OK and cheaper yet.
I feel certain you'll get a lot of discussion.
Looking forward to meeting you.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:10 PM
brain75
Elder User
switching from 20w-50 to straight 30 makes the steady drop take longer, but I am still running around with "no" oil pressure...

Old 07-31-2013, 06:38 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by brain75
... I am still running around with "no" oil pressure...
"Real" oil pressure? or on the dash gauge? If that's Real, you are crazy to drive it like that. Something is wrong. It won't get better.

If you make a list of everything you need to take to camp, especially if you're going to cook too, it easily doubles your packing list, maybe more.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:54 PM
brain75
Elder User
mechanical and electrical oil pressure gauge both show zero psi after about a mile or so. at first start I have about 40psi, and it drops to 25 after a few seconds and just keeps slowly creeping down.

before I even started it I put a T fitting in and added a idiot light (3psi or less and it closes the circuit lighting the light). I know the idiot light works it lights up with engine off, during the first 1/2 second before it builds pressure, and if I ever lug it out to the point of almost dying.

one time I forgot to tighten the top of the filter canister and I had a quart on the floor instantly - it's definitely got high volume.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:43 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
Of course this is just one old guy's opinion and suggestion, FWIW. As suggested above, I would get the truck out on the open road on a hot day and run it at cruise speed for a couple hours and see what it did. This will put a lot more demands on the engine than running around town.
Is your temperature gauge accurate? Might want to try straight 40 or 50 wt oil.
I would be as nervous as a long tail cat in a room of rocking chairs taking off cross country in a truck with low or no oil pressure. Low oil pressure is not conducive to long engine life.
But, it is your truck and you know it better than I. I did not go back and read the thread where the low OP was discussed. Perhaps I am overlooking something.
Good luck and keep us updated. See you at TS13

Old 08-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd check in with Bob J as he made a long distance (not as long as yours) drive last year to Truckstock in his stock F2. He did shakedown "training" runs in his truck before starting off on the journey to Eastern KY from WI.

I know it would be a tough decision not to drive your truck but Truckstock is a very welcoming event even for those of us that can't drive our trucks. I hope to be able to do that some day. So... bottom line in my opinion... please try to attend with or without the truck. You won't regret it. I hope to get to meet you as well in mid-September.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:26 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Last year before setting out to KY I drove the F-2 a bit on some fairly long in state drives to see what problems would develop. I found a few and fixed them. One nagging problem was it would jump into high idle, made shifting hard. Fortunately, Ross was able to diagnose the problem and we fixed it. I was lucky, I brought along an extra carb that we could steal parts from. The truck is running great since.

The way I looked at my trip down to KY was if the truck would have broke down on the way there or on the way back I have towing insurance on it and I would have had the truck towed to the nearest storage unit, rented a car and went on my way. I would have another adventure when I went back down to pick up the truck with my truck and trailer. Fortunately the F-2 made it down there and back with a side trip to Peoria, a total of about 1600 miles. It was the best trip I ever had, and the most memorable by far. If my work schedule allows it I will be bringing the F-2 down again this fall.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:12 PM
53OlderThanMe
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could you maybe rent a pickup from UHaul and one of those short trailers that just support the front wheels of the 48? Then you could park the UHaul when you arrive and enjoy the 48 while you are there without any worry. Not sure what the load limit is on those little trailers. Just spit ballin....but your oil pressure issue sounds like trouble at high speeds.