***Ike Goes HOME--bye bye to the frozen tundra*** - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

***Ike Goes HOME--bye bye to the frozen tundra***

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 01-18-2019, 10:42 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future

Hey fellas, as promised I'll be doing a sort of data run and photos of our trip back home to California This has been quite a bumpy year, but grad school is DONE and I am all the smarter for it... mostly from the experience. Higher education is way over rated. Anyways, back to trucks and road tripping. This will be somewhat of a virgin trip since our last dozen trips were done with our Heartland travel trailer. There is a 4k pound weigh difference, as in heavier. I sure wish we could have gone lighter, but more space does not equal weight loss.

We leave in about 10 days, so there is some time for me to organize and get things ready. The truck is ready to go, as much as it can be. I did fix an oil leak and all is well there. I'll do an oil change before hitting the road and start posting some photos here pretty soon. I am still not sure about adding Timbrens or not. A lot of pin weight was removed when I took the generator out, but there is still a tad bit of squat. problem is, the trailer sits perfectly level with the squat. If I add Timbrens, then the trailer will be a tad high in the nose, and I don't want that. I'll probably just go with what I have and save myself $350.

That's it for now. If anyone has any input to stuff I may have missed before bon-voyaging, speak up! LOL.....and thanks for following along. We plan to do a Tombstone stop, and trying to see a few FTE'ers along the way. It is always difficult though with wife and kids in tow. That part will just be a play-by-ear thing.

So, truck and trailer are ready, and off we go around the 28th. Cheers! And F*** this frozen tundra they call Nebraska.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:54 AM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
What is the distance you plan to travel?

Do you have a screenshot from Google Maps or something of the route you plan to take?

Pack easily accessible tools like sockets from the truck and trailer wheels. Breaker bar, impact wrench, multi-meter, spare fuses, long 3/8" extension, etc... 2 way radios are great to have for camp spot backing and communication between vehicles if you have more than one.

Make sure any chase cars you have are ready for the journey as well. That is why I recently replaced the spark plugs and belt on our Subaru, planning for the cross country trip in the spring.

Post a picture of the convoy before departing if you can.

Be safe, good luck and take your time. If you think you should stop for the day/night, follow your gut and do it.

EDIT: I was stationed at Offutt in 1995-1997 and feel your pain about wanting to get out of there. I hated the midwest, too flat, too cold and only thing to do was drink and get chased by the police. I put in for orders (new assignment) to send me anywhere for any amount of time. During that period of my career, that was called "code 88" and you would normally get picked up for a crappy assignment. I had order 30 days later and was happy to get out of Nebraska. Some love it, I hated it.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:58 AM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Safe travels honky...lol. Nah serious, hope you n fam are safe. You traveling thru vegas or phoenix and taking the i8 for homestretch? That 8 is knarly even with nothing in tow. Did it coming back from Yuma when i bought the 02
ill be a 10p miler radius of your journey from bullhead if trouble insues. You got my telly

Old 01-18-2019, 11:38 AM
beef tits
Elder User
beef tits is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.beef tits is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Nebraska is rough, congratulations on making it so long there!

Old 01-18-2019, 11:46 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
What is the distance you plan to travel?

hey my friend, I'll put up some Google maps photos from my phone. We are only doing 8 hours per day due t oa young traveler (my 2 year-old son). This will get us to each destination with minimal stress and day driving in case of emergencies.

Do you have a screenshot from Google Maps or something of the route you plan to take?

I'll post it up

Pack easily accessible tools like sockets from the truck and trailer wheels. Breaker bar, impact wrench, multi-meter, spare fuses, long 3/8" extension, etc... 2 way radios are great to have for camp spot backing and communication between vehicles if you have more than one.

I will have every tool with me, but plan on purchasing a 20V Milwaukee Impact to add to the stash. Other than that, I do have all of the above. We have used the two-ways for years and they are very helpful for quick communication. Have Cobras, will travel.

Make sure any chase cars you have are ready for the journey as well. That is why I recently replaced the spark plugs and belt on our Subaru, planning for the cross country trip in the spring.

Changed the oil in the Kia and added some Techron for some fuel injection maintenance. We are stopping an hour away in Cheyenne when we leave to slap some new shoes on her. At 85 miles on original Nexens, she is due. Her name is Sally, thanks to my 7 year old.

Post a picture of the convoy before departing if you can.

Will definitely do this!

Be safe, good luck and take your time. If you think you should stop for the day/night, follow your gut and do it.

See above. We always take our time and we really want to see some things and exhale this trip after this past year. First night will be a hotel stay, the rest will be semi-camping at RV grounds.

EDIT: I was stationed at Offutt in 1995-1997 and feel your pain about wanting to get out of there. I hated the midwest, too flat, too cold and only thing to do was drink and get chased by the police. I put in for orders (new assignment) to send me anywhere for any amount of time. During that period of my career, that was called "code 88" and you would normally get picked up for a crappy assignment. I had order 30 days later and was happy to get out of Nebraska. Some love it, I hated it.

Very true statements here LOL!! Stay tuned for some photos here shortly. Oh, I will be putting a new belt on Ike and keeping the old for a spare.
See above.....

Old 01-18-2019, 11:49 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
Safe travels honky...lol. Nah serious, hope you n fam are safe. You traveling thru vegas or phoenix and taking the i8 for homestretch? That 8 is knarly even with nothing in tow. Did it coming back from Yuma when i bought the 02
ill be a 10p miler radius of your journey from bullhead if trouble insues. You got my telly
You got it my man. I may try to holler if we have some time....grab a beer or whatever you drink. We'll be going 25 to the 10 to the 8 through Yuma....southerly most route. I'd really rather do Vegas, but don't wanna hit any winter bullchit. I'll be in touch!

Originally Posted by beef **** View Post
Nebraska is rough, congratulations on making it so long there!
You are so right.....it was about 9 months too long!!

Old 01-18-2019, 12:28 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
You're really jumping the gun, you still have about ten days.

BTW, I got mail today, can't wait to see what I got..

Old 01-18-2019, 12:32 PM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
You're really jumping the gun, you still have about ten days.

BTW, I got mail today, can't wait to see what I got..
Hopefully a fairly clean pedestal!

Old 01-18-2019, 01:44 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Hey fellas, as promised I'll be doing a sort of data run and photos of our trip back home to California This has been quite a bumpy year, but grad school is DONE and I am all the smarter for it... mostly from the experience. Higher education is way over rated. Anyways, back to trucks and road tripping. This will be somewhat of a virgin trip since our last dozen trips were done with our Heartland travel trailer. There is a 4k pound weigh difference, as in heavier. I sure wish we could have gone lighter, but more space does not equal weight loss.

We leave in about 10 days, so there is some time for me to organize and get things ready. The truck is ready to go, as much as it can be. I did fix an oil leak and all is well there. I'll do an oil change before hitting the road and start posting some photos here pretty soon. I am still not sure about adding Timbrens or not. A lot of pin weight was removed when I took the generator out, but there is still a tad bit of squat. problem is, the trailer sits perfectly level with the squat. If I add Timbrens, then the trailer will be a tad high in the nose, and I don't want that. I'll probably just go with what I have and save myself $350.

That's it for now. If anyone has any input to stuff I may have missed before bon-voyaging, speak up! LOL.....and thanks for following along. We plan to do a Tombstone stop, and trying to see a few FTE'ers along the way. It is always difficult though with wife and kids in tow. That part will just be a play-by-ear thing.

So, truck and trailer are ready, and off we go around the 28th. Cheers! And F*** this frozen tundra they call Nebraska.
Ok, I’m confused, you say you’re smarter BUT you’re moving to California? Gotta give you a little crap, you better stop in Colorado this time. Have you taken the 5er for a test run since you did all the work? I would definitely consider doing that, better to find out something is not right now rather than when you’re 25 miles down the road. BTW, the timbrens will only affects your camper if the suspension makes contact with them and if it does they’re basically needed.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:15 PM
Hussler
Postmaster
Hussler is a splendid one to beholdHussler is a splendid one to beholdHussler is a splendid one to beholdHussler is a splendid one to beholdHussler is a splendid one to beholdHussler is a splendid one to beholdHussler is a splendid one to behold
Hi Bryon, have a safe trip for sure. I think Nebraska is probably like Minnesota. I spent many winters in Minnesota working for 3M Company in training. Never been so cold in my life and how people survive those winters and driving is a mystery.

I think you and family will enjoy Tombstone as I've been there many times when I lived in Tucson and Phoenix. Kinda fun to see the old west environment and would take family when they came to visit.

Another cool place to see is the "Titan Missie Silo", a real one although decommissioned per agreements between our government and Russia. Back in the 70's when working in Tucson I traveled that freeway, Interstate 19, towards the Mexican boarder many times and never knew it was there, I could of thrown a rock from the freeway and hit it, all underground.

Take care my friend ...

Old 01-18-2019, 03:19 PM
dmd
Senior User
dmd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Long tripa. We drive from Dallas to Lake Havasu twice a year and just hook up the 10K TT and go. We make it to
Winslow, Az the first day. Get to the Lake by lunch time the second day.

Good luck on the trip, appears you are taking the scenic route back and a bit longer than my trips. You dont have much choice though. Check the weather along
the route and plan accordingly. I use the National Weather Service and their week in advance, and then once it gets closer they break it down more granular.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:53 PM
beef tits
Elder User
beef tits is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.beef tits is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
Hi Bryon, have a safe trip for sure. I think Nebraska is probably like Minnesota. I spent many winters in Minnesota working for 3M Company in training. Never been so cold in my life and how people survive those winters and driving is a mystery.

I think you and family will enjoy Tombstone as I've been there many times when I lived in Tucson and Phoenix. Kinda fun to see the old west environment and would take family when they came to visit.

Another cool place to see is the "Titan Missie Silo", a real one although decommissioned per agreements between our government and Russia. Back in the 70's when working in Tucson I traveled that freeway, Interstate 19, towards the Mexican boarder many times and never knew it was there, I could of thrown a rock from the freeway and hit it, all underground.

Take care my friend ...
Funny, BFE Nebraksa is COVERED in active missile silos. There is one about every 10 square miles where I go hunting. It's crazy being right across the road from a bunch of armed military guards and holding a 30-06 sniper rifle. They don't seem to mind.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:39 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by beef **** View Post
Funny, BFE Nebraksa is COVERED in active missile silos. There is one about every 10 square miles where I go hunting. It's crazy being right across the road from a bunch of armed military guards and holding a 30-06 sniper rifle. They don't seem to mind.
I take great comfort in knowing that our cattle and cornfields are well protected.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:44 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Bone in ribeye anyone?

Old 01-18-2019, 07:09 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
Bone in ribeye anyone?

That is one well marbled piece of meat there, a little undercooked for my liking, could you give it a few more minutes, please?

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.