Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Chipping a 2001 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:21 PM
CannonBryan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chipping a 2001 7.3

Ive been doing a little research but i havnt really gotten anywhere, i was wondering what aftermarket chip would be the most beneficial for the 7.3 powerstroke, id prefer something with a change on the fly feature, and several different positions such as a Tony Wildman 6postion chip. My question is which one would be the best for the money, because every maker claims that there's is the best but i want opinions from people with tried and tested experiances. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:34 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Originally Posted by CannonBryan
Ive been doing a little research but i havnt really gotten anywhere, i was wondering what aftermarket chip would be the most beneficial for the 7.3 powerstroke, id prefer something with a change on the fly feature, and several different positions such as a Tony Wildman 6postion chip. My question is which one would be the best for the money, because every maker claims that there's is the best but i want opinions from people with tried and tested experiances. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Lots of info if you dig deep enough on this topic. There are a lot of people with there own opinions on what make and what tunes to get.
First off we need to know what your doing with your truck, "daily driving, towing and what weights are u towing, and what are you looking at gaining. " Basically over all what are you looking for in a chip. Most newbies to the diesel world had a friend who had a not well tuned diesel and it blows a lot of smoke and is fairly quick. So then everyone has to go get a diesel and throw a chip on it and blow smoke lol. Let us know what you are looking for in a chip.
Also what mods do you have already ? Gauges, exhaust, intake, sticks etc. " It would be wise and recommended to first get gauges and a few common mods done first before a chip. #1 to make sure everything is in check and not running too hot or with too much pressure. #2 making sure you have no boost leaks, hpop leaks, and fuel system from in the tank to the injectors are all good also. Just my .02c i get in or make sure everything is in good working order before you spend 600+ $ in a chip only to find it dosent preform good due to lack of other areas not up to par.

I love my DP but chips and tunes can get really pricy to play with and test out. My DP is the 2nd one I've had. First was a edge evo which was junk compared to my DP.

But like i said lots of opinions so be prepared to get flood with info. But study what each has to say and apply it to your situation. I think now top tuners " DP , Swamps, TS, Tony and some more" are all fairly close these days.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:45 AM
CannonBryan
New User
Most of my driving will be done on the highway so im looking for something mainly to improve fuel mileage, but i want the option to gain some serious horsepower for when im working on the farm and will possibly have to be pulling weights getting close to 30000 lbs. I already have all gauges (pyrometer, etc.), there aren't any leaks to my knowledge (have checked) the engine is completely stock and so on.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:32 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
My signature has a link under the heading "Custom Tunes". It's worth reading.

There is no "Best" tuner beyond getting one of the actual guys who tune. Bully Dog and Superchips are corporate - DP has Jody, Gearhead has Matt, PHP has Bill, you've already heard of Tony Wildman, etc....

Weigh the cost, the ease of upgrade, the customer service, and how it all ties into your long-term plans for the truck... but don't look for improved fuel economy in a chip. If a product claims it is guaranteed to improve fuel economy, close that tab on your internet browser and move on. Leave that product for the type of person who stares at the overhead MPG and proclaims "Wow! Since I put X product in, I'm getting 30 MPG!" Many chuckle at that thought - some, because they're thinking "Tugly, you're just embellishing", and others... because they know I'm not.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:21 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by CannonBryan
im looking for something mainly to improve fuel mileage
Not going to happen. Lots of places claim it, none deliver.

i want the option to gain some serious horsepower for when im working on the farm and will possibly have to be pulling weights getting close to 30000 lbs.
You DO NOT want "serious horsepower" when towing 30,000 lbs. "on the farm" - that is, unless you are dead set on breaking stuff.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:21 AM
pin8246
Elder User
Yea im in the same boat as you. Im ready to chip, but the more I read the more confused I get. Then you look at products and can find TS chips for 300 and DP and others for 600. Then it goes back to you get what you pay for, so I start my research all over again. One day ill get brave and order.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:40 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
The good think about dp is you only get the tunes you want. You pay $200 for the tuner and after that the price is up to you. They have a full list if there tunes and prices per tune on there site. That's also if you go the f5 tuner. The f6 is a lot more but seems to be worth not having to pull it out and send it back into dp if you want to change something in the tune or want more tunes later on.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:05 AM
pin8246
Elder User
If you dont mind, since im in the same boat as the OP here my list.

00 F250 4x4
Auto
Should be all that matters

Pull roughly 6k lbs 4-5 days a week
Mostly highway, city is one street light
Looking for something for towing that little weight
And economy with more power for days off

4 inch exhaust, intake, gauges, the basics. Not really planning on anything else unless it breaks, and even then may just go back to stock.

Ideas

Old 07-16-2013, 10:25 AM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by pin8246

Ideas
Take a look at the power struck tuning. I've not tried it but have read nothing but good forum feedback regarding customer service and tune quality. Two position with 50 tow and 75 or 100 might be all you really need, and it's $225. Here is the link to his website: POWER-STRUCK, osgood indiana, performance tuning

Old 07-16-2013, 12:27 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by pin8246
If you dont mind, since im in the same boat as the OP here my list.

00 F250 4x4
Auto
Should be all that matters

Pull roughly 6k lbs 4-5 days a week
Mostly highway, city is one street light
Looking for something for towing that little weight
And economy with more power for days off

4 inch exhaust, intake, gauges, the basics. Not really planning on anything else unless it breaks, and even then may just go back to stock.

Ideas
Sounds like you only need one tune to me.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:57 PM
CannonBryan
New User
Thanks for all yalls input ill let yall know what ends up happening!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:13 PM
phe0013
New User
I highly recommend a custom tune. You need to protect your transmission. I don't care what kind or who. Just someone you can put faith in. I work my trucks to and learned the hard way a long time ago.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:39 AM
CannonBryan
New User
That brings up my next question, my truck is a 6speed manual transmission, do i need to get a aftermarket transmission? or would a aftermarket clutch be enough?
I know enough to fix most mechanical problems but not much about electronics and nearly zilch when it comes to upgrading and customizing, any input is appreciated.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:39 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Your rowing machine is good. From what little I know about the 6-speed you won't likely need to do any modifications to that at all. As for the rest of the mods, just keep consulting here and there are plenty of members who will be more than happy to help you drain your wallet to make your dream machine. Each mod has a how-to (with pictures/vids) embedded on the forum.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:08 AM
Moe power stroker
Junior User
Tuning

Congratulations on the 6 speed standard, they are hard to find, I have one in my 99 7.3 F-350 dually flat bed, the truck weighs over 8000 pounds empty and never gives me any trouble. There used to be a modification made by DR performance that installed beyond the PCM in the fuel injection harness and what it did was boost fuel pressure at the injectors for a modest 80 hp gain with a 3 to 5 mpg gain, you might want to check into it to see if it is still available.

Quick Reply: Chipping a 2001 7.3