Sometimes people are nuts and rich people are the worst

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 04:11 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Sometimes people are nuts and rich people are the worst

So I am running service yesterday getting back into it after a long dry spell of health not being so great and I get a call from an old "customer". This guy who has a million dollar home on display on the Internet and his own racing team gave me a bad check about a year ago for $75.00. As it turned out, there was not money in the account for his racing team.

So I billed him a second time and then sent him a registered letter which he refused to accept. After about two months he called me and said he thought I sent him a letter or something, but he wasn't sure. I told him the problem and he said the check was now good, which it was, but the bank charged me $15.00 because it was written to a business rather than to an individual (?). So I told him politely I wanted to just be done with him and wished him good luck.

Now we are back to yesterday and he tells me he has a new motorhome and he wants me to work on it. He acts surprised when I tell him I do not want him as a customer.

Over the last 15 years I have learned a working man will almost never stiff another working man and I also learned never to work for anyone I did not like. Overall my philosophy has worked well. Relying on word of mouth takes a while, but I don't have a Yellow page listing or advertise and stay as busy as I want to be.

When NASCAR comes to town there are lots of these folks who think they are special because they have money and at times I get requests to put them ahead of other customers for some extra bucks. Those kind of offers move them to the back of my list or, sometimes completely off my list!

Steve

Old 07-09-2013, 04:18 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 1,000 Posts
A "bad check" from a "rich guy" bounces just like one from anyone else!
I like your philosophy......

Old 07-09-2013, 06:18 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
totally agree, work on your terms and morals.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:38 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
So I am running service yesterday getting back into it after a long dry spell of health not being so great and I get a call from an old "customer". This guy who has a million dollar home on display on the Internet and his own racing team gave me a bad check about a year ago for $75.00. As it turned out, there was not money in the account for his racing team.

Now we are back to yesterday and he tells me he has a new motorhome and he wants me to work on it. He acts surprised when I tell him I do not want him as a customer.

Over the last 15 years I have learned a working man will almost never stiff another working man and I also learned never to work for anyone I did not like. Overall my philosophy has worked well. Relying on word of mouth takes a while, but I don't have a Yellow page listing or advertise and stay as busy as I want to be.

When NASCAR comes to town there are lots of these folks who think they are special because they have money and at times I get requests to put them ahead of other customers for some extra bucks. Those kind of offers move them to the back of my list or, sometimes completely off my list!

Steve
I have a similar philosophy Steve, I do not work with anyone that I don't click with for whatever reason, usually aggrandized expectations from people who think they have a lot of money. In the 35 years I've been building, I've learned it has nothing to do with the money, it's all about respect and class. Money buys neither.

A couple of months ago, I received a referral to Dave. Took a look at his home (awesome but dated). Has a huge sailboat, retired hard worker, divorced and an understated huge amount of capital. I liked him because he wasn't all full of himself, he's become a friend.
Just got this email from him when he returned yesterday from a 10 day sailing trip, we completed the extensive renovation while he was gone.

I'm reprinting it because it shows how grateful someone with a boatload of money can be awesome to deal with because they have a real respect for others.

Pardon the long-winded response but I think it fits the OP.

From Dave, the wealthy client (a portion was a response to a couple of items I needed him to be aware of).....

Hope you liked the basement kitchen cabinets, they look like a body shop did them lol. Absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for mentioning them. Beautiful. In fact, they look so good that I want you to rip out the granite and install the basement tops in the kitche. OK, I'm joking. Still they are really outstanding. Thanks for picking them out. They really blend in. Dont miss the electrical in computer room, light is now on a switch to your right. Wow! I'lll go and check it out right now.

Back from checking. Incredible. Perfect. Fantastic. Perfect.

Still, everything you have accomplished withing my entire house is nothing short of Ed M's concept of acceptable....which, by any other standard, means truly OUTSTANDING. Regarding the downstairs kitchen cabinets in particular: they are truly outstanding. They would be considered gorgeous in another house in North Riverside in the main kitchen. But they are in my basement kitchen. OMG! Ed, my basement looks as good as the upstairs in any other N. Riverside home. You, and you alone, have accomplished that.

Thank you very much, Ed. Thank you. All of your ideas have been outstanding. All of your work in bringing your ideas into fruition have been exceptional. Thank you. Thank you so very much.

Regarding our visit to Mt. C. I am really looking forward to it. Actually, I can't wait to experience it....from your perspective. OK, I want to see your car, your taj-mahgarage (SP????), Regretta (want to experience the ghosts) and the antique car show. I want to experience Mt. C in all the ways you have described her to me. She sounds incredible, simply incredible.

I feel really exceptional to have you worked for me...OK. That doesn't begin to describe it. Yes, you worked for me. You did what you had to do. But Ed, the work you did for me was more like a really interested, concerned, Life-Long-Friend trying to help his dear friend. It was exceptional.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:48 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would also add that I emailed his final bill to him at about 8:30 this morning. Got a text from him at 10am that a check was waiting for me. Seriously working with people like Dave makes it still worthwhile and fufilling even after 35 years.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:25 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by LMS Residential
I would also add that I emailed his final bill to him at about 8:30 this morning. Got a text from him at 10am that a check was waiting for me. Seriously working with people like Dave makes it still worthwhile and fufilling even after 35 years.
Very nice.

Not too long ago I heard someone respond in a situation, "it's not personal, it just business". My retort, "everything I do is personal, it is never just about business".

Steve

Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Not too long ago I heard someone respond in a situation, "it's not personal, it just business". My retort, "everything I do is personal, it is never just about business".
And that's how it should always be!

Good on you!

Pop

Old 07-10-2013, 11:00 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice.

Steve
I like to think it has something to do with "Midwest Values."
Spent many summers in central Minnesota at an early age, learning that a man's word creates his character. In small town USA, you live or die by your word. Everyone knows who you are and losing your reputation is something you can't ever afford to tarnish. It never goes away.
However, in big town USA, you don't know much about the people around you and probably don't even know your next door neighbor very well.
There's not much at stake if you tarnish your reputation here, because there isn't the same accountability.

I remember a few summers back when renting a place on a lake back there, the owner stopped by to chat. He told me that he got a call from his banker, 30-45 days or so after his handshake, buying the place. The banker called and asked him to come down to the bank to sign the paperwork on the purchase to button up the deal.
The new owner had the keys, spent many dollars starting to renovate, and never gave it much thought about who owned it now, even though the paperwork wasn't complete.
He also related a story about buying a boat as this home is on a lake. He saw it in the paper and called about it. He went to see it and told the owner that he would take it, coming back on Sat to pay for it and pick it up.
The owner said he needed a deposit to hold it for him. My guy asked the owner... " you aren't from these parts are you?" The owner said no, why?
He said, "because in this part of the world, your word is your word and that's the way we do business here."
When I meet someone from the rural Midwest now, I have a different immediate opinion of who there are, and it usually doesn't take long to figure out that their handshake is not that city one.
These are the folks to do business with.